Thread: Studebaker Horse Buggy for $300

Studebaker Horse Buggy for $300

This is the cheapest I've seen any buggy, let alone a Studebaker.

https://mankato.craigslist.org/grd/d...638335398.html

President Member
    somebody snag it!

WOW!...If this was within two or three hundred miles...I would have already made the phone call, verified some information, and if this is truly a Studebaker buggy...I would be on my way. However, at this stage in my life, other obligations, and distance, I just can't do it. But, if this is truly a Studebaker vehicle (and not just transplanted buggy steps) this should be a great deal for some collector!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    If it was just a matter of buying the the buggy that would be fine, but then if you don't already have a horse you'd have to get one of those too. That could create more problems than the buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 15G View Post
    If it was just a matter of buying the the buggy that would be fine, but then if you don't already have a horse you'd have to get one of those too. That could create more problems than the buggy.
    Not for me. I spent many years owning, riding, and caring for horses. I'm over that, but I still own saddles for the art work.

If I could fetch this buggy, & my wife would allow it, the buggy would be taken down & reassembled in my great room. I would make it into a TV watching seat. I would feel honored to have such a perch instead of an ordinary old couch or recliner!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Your idea sounds good John!

Snag it and add to a collection or donate to a museum. Or use it - after all, it's looks to be in good operating condition.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    Snag it and add to a collection or donate to a museum. Or use it - after all, it's looks to be in good operating condition.

Um... no. No it isn't presently usable. The whole vehicle looks pretty deteriorated. Also, I would examine those steps very carefully. It's a common trick to add them to an unbadged vehicle just to add sales value and desirability. Best place to check, although unlikely with such an inexpensive vehicle, is the base under the seat cushion. There should be a round button nailed to the seat frame by the regional distribution center. Often the button will be missing, however the impression will still be there. Again though, buggies were cheap vehicles and were often treated like wagons by the company. When it was striped out, the company logo would be painted along the bottom of the box. So when the first paint job went bad, or was removed for repainting, the logo went with it.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Time to act like it's 1852 and travel in the saddle because ol' Vanderbilt is up to laying track and I'm raring to go on the war path after him! In all seriousness, this does look like a decent enough wagon, even if it turns out it isn't actually a Studebaker.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

I would love to have something like that, if I had a good horse. Unfortunately, we no longer have a place to keep a horse and, even if we did, the shots and vet exams required by law now are too much.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

It's about an hour and an a half drive from where I am. Sure looks tempting.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I could use those top bows on one of mine...
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

President Member
    a small Allis Will pull it just like a horse!

This looks like a better deal to me.
    https://greenbay.craigslist.org/grd/...640970220.html

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    I would make it into a TV watching seat. I would feel honored to have such a perch instead of an ordinary old couch or recliner!
    For Bonanza reruns? Don't forget to add some bullet-holes in the walls of your Great Room if you proceed with it!

Craig

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    It seems to me the important thing is to save these. There are not many left and they represent a piece of history, both Studebaker and American. Let's hope both of these examples find new homes where they will be treasured and cared for.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    It seems to me the important thing is to save these. There are not many left and they represent a piece of history, both Studebaker and American. Let's hope both of these examples find new homes where they will be treasured and cared for.
    At one time, people gave these old horse-drawns away. For years, almost any restaurant with an 'Old West' theme always had one parked on the lawn in front of the premises, and in some cases, inside the dining room if they had the space. I wouldn't be surprised if a business specializing in a western theme, be it a clothing store or a restaurant snaps that one up for that price!!

Craig

President Member
    l just sold my buggy on Tuesday this week.

lt went to a new owner who really wanted it and had "lost" a previous purchase of another buggy. So he's happy.

l bot mine 28 years ago from a couple in Noblesville, Indiana on a warm but very rainy first weekend in November. Leaving the US during a very heavy rain, the customs agent, who did NOT want go outside to look at a disassembled, unrestored buggy. He was very happy to stamp the paperwork INDOORS when we agreed the the artifact could possibly be 100 years old, and therefore it could exit the US as an antique or something, without further inspection!

Only two things were done to it - repairing the original upholstery, and a preservation paint job in all the 28 years that l owned it. But having to buy a shed to house it and a make a custom trailer to transport it was expensive too.

l lost money on it and the trailer, but now have a shed to house Stude parts that take up too much room in the garage!

It's weird that altho the subject of horse drawn Studes understandably comes up seldom on the forum, it came up just AFTER my buggy's sale.

Now l have to change my list of Stude vehicles below my forum name. It was neat to own, and was displayed a few times at Stude meets, but it was a logistical problem for a city dweller who did not have a big enuff family/living/rec room to put it indoors. l'm about a 2 (maybe 3) out of 10 sad-wise to see it go.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Izzer Buggy - "Jessie"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"You don't need a Magic Carpet - just a Studebaker"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    ride me in a Studebaker"

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    For years, almost any restaurant with an 'Old West' theme always had one parked on the lawn in front of the premises, and in some cases, inside the dining room if they had the space. I wouldn't be surprised if a business specializing in a western theme, be it a clothing store or a restaurant snaps that one up for that price!!Craig
    This one is at a restaurant in Perkins, OK USA:

Attached Images Attached Images

Dave Lester

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I could use those top bows on one of mine...
    Witmer's Coach Supply has them. Part No: 31-232 less than ten bucks each. The Witmers are really nice people. The shop is run by family and the grandchildren often answer the phone. Fun place to visit too.

Witmer Coach Supply
    1070 W. Main St.
    New Holland Pa. 17557
    717-656-3411

Actually three hundred dollars is a good price for this even if the whole of the vehicle isn't sound. It would make a great display in a protected area (as in under a roof).

Oh yes, and Witmer's has a kit to cover the top on this buggy as well.

Ron Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
    This one is at a restaurant in Perkins, OK USA:

Breaks my heart to see this kind of thing. This is usually the ruination of a perfectly good antique. I wish people like this would buy a new wagon and ruin it instead. They could have the whole thing fibreglassed and it would last twice as long.

Ron Smith

Quote Originally Posted by studeclunker View Post
    Breaks my heart to see this kind of thing. This is usually the ruination of a perfectly good antique. I wish people like this would buy a new wagon and ruin it instead. They could have the whole thing fibreglassed and it would last twice as long.

Yep, it's kinda like folks that have two or three classic Studes sitting around on their property, suffering from neglect and ruination.

Dave Lester

Golden Hawk Member
    Yep, it's kinda like folks that have two or three classic Studes sitting around on their property, suffering from neglect and ruination.
    All may not get it, but I do - well done.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Do I get extra credit if I have 8 or 10???
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Do I get extra credit if I have 8 or 10???
    You'd have to ask, "People like that."

Dave Lester

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    I know you're not talking about me. I spent the last two days fabricating a simple alternator mount and adjusting bracket for Buttercup.

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    I know you're not talking about me. I spent the last two days fabricating a simple alternator mount and adjusting bracket for Buttercup.
    Nah, I would never say that about you. You're slow, but you're on it.

Dave Lester

Then someone might accuse them they wouldn't be serving 'real authentic Western Cuisine'!

Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by 5brown1 View Post
    This looks like a better deal to me.
    https://greenbay.craigslist.org/grd/...640970220.html
    Not really. Both are in comparable condition. If you look carefully at the floor in several pics you can see dry-rotted floorboards. This means you can put your weight on a step and it will fail, likely causing you to do a face-plant on the vehicle. The dash should have new Patent-leather on it and doesn't. Thank heavens they didn't recover it with that awful vinyl on the seat (as is so commonly done)! Nice top. They claim " Completely refinished", Reeeeally?? Uh huh. Quite a shine on that new paint, isn't there?

However, this vehicle has (what looks to be) a newly reupholstered seat and a very nicely done top. Hence it is well worth the price difference as the top alone is worth the asking price.

This will ride considerably better than the first vehicle and I find the springing fascinating (Looks like something Studebaker would have done as they weren't afraid to experiment)! Usually there was only the fully elliptic spring:

00q0q_keUgqlEwZa_1200x900.jpg
    Ron Smith

Excuse me! I resemble that in-cinner-ation!

However, the automobile is made of metal and closes up against the elements. Have you ever left wood untreated in your back yard? Would you leave antique furniture in your backyard? A wagon or carriage are largely built of wood with metal parts. Leave them out in the elements and they return to the earth in record time! Where it takes thirty to forty years from parking a car to it's ruination, reduce that time frame by a factor of nearly ten for a wooden vehicle. Ask any Antique Studebaker collector about the condition of their wooden parts when they acquired a project. Besides, there are very few hundred-year-old Auto-Mobiles still around. Would you decorate your garden with, say, a Studebaker electric wagon? It has been done you know.

By the by, has anyone around here ever heard of Danielle Steele (the Author)? Her late husband John Traina had an estate in Napa Ca. He lined his driveway with horsedrawn carriages he had collected. Among these carriages were several Studebakers, a circus wagon, a Mc Laughlin Surrey (an anniversary present to Danielle) several Gigs (high end two-wheeled carts), and a little Russian pony troika phaeton. The majority of these vehicles came to Mr Traina in perfect, restored condition. His hired help was sloppy about putting the vehicles back in the barn after a party and often would leave them out in the weather if it happened to be raining. Many of his wagons were literally collapsing in advanced deterioration. He had several hundred thousand dollars invested in these vehicles and they were all going o wrack and ruin due to neglect. I bought several and use one of them regularly. The rest are so bad as to likely never be behind a horse again. That Circus wagon nearly disintegrated when pulled up onto a trailer. I seriously doubt the poor thing made it home intact. My guess is that he made about a penny on the dollar to the potential value of the vehicles and had no one but himself to blame for it.

Last edited by studeclunker; 07-14-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    Ron Smith

Excuse me! I resemble that in-cinner-ation!
    You are 'scused!

Dave Lester