Dodge Truck Hemi issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Truck Hemi issues

Thought I would upgrade from my old dodge truck to a used '09 with a hemi engine (I worked on the design team at chrysler on the original design of this engine). However, I found out several recent years of trucks & cars have problems with bad lifters which destroy the camshafts. 4000 miles after purchase (with 89,000 miles), my truck is now suffering from the same fate. Chrysler is no help at all so we're all on our own for repairs.

I've tried finding some sites on the internet to find out the best plan of attack to get it fixed. Unfortunately, all of the sites I find only want to talk about finding fancy wheels or lights or stereos....or crying about paying the dealers to fix their cars. I guess there aren't many guys who work on their own stuff anymore.

So....I thought I'd ask here if any of you "old timers" have gone thru this, or have heard of anyone who has to give some tips. I want to replace the cam and lifters and delete the MDS system entirely (the cylinder deactivation system seems to be the cause of the problem).
    thanks
    Mike Sal

Check these folks out for parts and advice including the MDS delete kits. https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/c...nce-parts.aspx

Bob

Comment

Since Josephine is MoPar powered I'm sometimes in on "for A-bodies only" & there it seems everybody's into & working on their own stuff, but you've probably discovered that already, & if not so I hope you'll get info there.
      Good luck!
      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-13-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I am old, but I don't feel like an old timer! I also have an A body Mopar. I have been a Chrysler Tech for most of my life and retired in 2016. I did a few Camshaft replacements in the hemis. What questions do you have about it? Yes they go out. I don't know if the cylinder deactivation system is the cause or how to get rid of it. As far as pointers ...When you take the intake manifold off, there is a sensor in the very back of the intake manifold, with a very short wiring harness. If you pull the intake too far forward, you will break the sensor. The oil pump runs on the front of the crankshaft. You can unbolt the oil pickup tube without taking off the pan. It is not easy but it can be done and Chrysler suggested it be done that way. Put a lot of grease rags or paper towels in the oil pan so you don't lose the bolts that bolt the oil tube to the pump. There was a special tool that holds the push rods in place when you go to put the rocker back on. It can be done without the tool but you need to be careful that everything is in the right place. When you put the lifters back in the bores, make sure the cylinder deactivation lifters are in the right holes. Also make sure the holders for the lifters are in good shape. Whatever cam lobe is worn out, make sure the rocker to it is in good condition. Almost everyone I saw, the lifter was turned about 1/2 a turn. I did them in the truck, but one of the other Techs would always remove the engine to do it. I'm pretty sure that it's not for the camshaft jobs, but if a Hemi engine blows up, you have to replace the intake manifold because debris will go up into the intake. Just to be safe, I would shake the intake just to be sure there is nothing up in there. I hope the helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Barracudagary View Post
          I am old, but I don't feel like an old timer! I also have an A body Mopar. I have been a Chrysler Tech for most of my life and retired in 2016. I did a few Camshaft replacements in the hemis. What questions do you have about it? Yes they go out. I don't know if the cylinder deactivation system is the cause or how to get rid of it. As far as pointers ...When you take the intake manifold off, there is a sensor in the very back of the intake manifold, with a very short wiring harness. If you pull the intake too far forward, you will break the sensor. The oil pump runs on the front of the crankshaft. You can unbolt the oil pickup tube without taking off the pan. It is not easy but it can be done and Chrysler suggested it be done that way. Put a lot of grease rags or paper towels in the oil pan so you don't lose the bolts that bolt the oil tube to the pump. There was a special tool that holds the push rods in place when you go to put the rocker back on. It can be done without the tool but you need to be careful that everything is in the right place. When you put the lifters back in the bores, make sure the cylinder deactivation lifters are in the right holes. Also make sure the holders for the lifters are in good shape. Whatever cam lobe is worn out, make sure the rocker to it is in good condition. Almost everyone I saw, the lifter was turned about 1/2 a turn. I did them in the truck, but one of the other Techs would always remove the engine to do it. I'm pretty sure that it's not for the camshaft jobs, but if a Hemi engine blows up, you have to replace the intake manifold because debris will go up into the intake. Just to be safe, I would shake the intake just to be sure there is nothing up in there. I hope the helps. If you have any questions, let me know.
          Welcome to the SDC Forum. As you can see, we often drift away from Studebaker items. I am also a Gary and I have owned a Barracuda, a 1969 fastback with 318, Torqueflite and A/C. I have also owned MANY other Mopars, both new and used including; Challenger, Charger, GTX, Laser XE turbo, Fury, Sport Fury, ---. What is your Barracuda?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I haven't sold new Mopars since 1991. My last new purchase was in 2006. Last year, I purged my family daily driver fleet of the last one, a 2006 PT. I won't go into the warranty battles and component failures that drove me off the edge after 30 years of exclusive loyalty to Chrysler. Daimler and Fiat have done them no good.

I still have my 1969 Road Runner and my 1988 LeBaron Highline 2.2 Turbo Convertible to remind me of the days when they made the best engines in the Industry.

Unfortunately, I had relatives with these early latest generation Hemis, and they battled to get warranty repairs within the 3 year/36K warranty. Yes, this is pretty common. I actually feel really sorry for the guys who have stayed loyal. Recently had a cousin who dumped his EcoDiesel while on vacation for a Ram 2500 with a Cummins. An emergency trade to complete his trip. He's not talking much about it.

Best of luck. Sounds like you have the technical knowledge to get through this, and those above have given good advice. I wouldn't have the time to mess with it, and that's the attitude that leads to these forums and discussion boards being mostly about "bling" items.
            Last edited by 556063; 07-22-2018, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I have a 1967 Formula S Barracuda convertible. It's nice to meet another Mopar fan. I also have a Studebaker 2R5 which is currently a basket case. I have gotten a lot of help from the Studebaker Forums. Have you ever attended the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle PA? I've been going there for about 15 years. It's a really nice show.

Comment

Originally posted by Barracudagary View Post
                I have a 1967 Formula S Barracuda convertible. It's nice to meet another Mopar fan. I also have a Studebaker 2R5 which is currently a basket case. I have gotten a lot of help from the Studebaker Forums. Have you ever attended the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle PA? I've been going there for about 15 years. It's a really nice show.
                I have a friend (was the Sales Manager where I sold Chrysler products full time) that has a 1967 Barracuda fastback, 318, Torqueflite, A/C, solid western car with new paint, that he should sell. He presently has at least four Mopars, including a redone 1948 that he should also sell.

I have owned more than 50 Studebakers. Second to that is Mopars, that I have owned dozens of, new and used.

EDIT: I was friends with Bob Bourke that designed your pickup.

I used to belong to NCPC and participated in their shows in Pennsylvania. including a national winning car.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I have a friend (was the Sales Manager where I sold Chrysler products full time) that has a 1967 Barracuda fastback, 318, Torqueflite, A/C, solid western car with new paint, that he should sell. He presently has at least four Mopars, including a redone 1948 that he should also sell.
                  Whey should he sell them? Are they sitting outside in the open rusting away? If so, I agree he should.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Whey should he sell them? Are they sitting outside in the open rusting away? If so, I agree he should.

Craig
                    Since you seem to need to know - he is no longer able to drive and has multiple vehicles (these are stored indoors).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Since you seem to need to know - he is no longer able to drive and has multiple vehicles (these are stored indoors).
                      No doubt he still enjoys looking at them. Perhaps you can volunteer to drive him in one to a local car show for an afternoon. I bet he would much appreciate that.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        No doubt he still enjoys looking at them. Perhaps you can volunteer to drive him in one to a local car show for an afternoon. I bet he would much appreciate that.

Craig
                        His other cars are at his home. The two that I am referring to are in storage and he hasn't seen them in over a year. I have offered to take a car of his to a car show in the past.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

This is interesting! I've owned many MoPars, 63-66 Valiants used to be wintercars, 60-61 Valiants was amazingly well ballanced & with only 1200 kg & hot engine I won over many Corvettes & Mustangs. There's two that I miss the most thou; a -62 New Port & a -50 Windsor, the New Port was easily one of the best cars I ever had & I've had a few... -59 Windsor was also quite nice & the -70 Satelite. & so on...
                          So when the whole drive line was scrap on Josephine & I'm on the east side of the Atlantic ocean & put MoPar stuff in her.
                          Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X