Thread: Option list in '62 GT article in Turning Wheels

Silver Hawk Member

Option list in '62 GT article in Turning Wheels

The extensive option list in the '62 GT article was interesting and I realized I'd never seen any GT with most of those in the last half of the list.

Most of those obviously come from a taxi/Marshall list. Makes one wonder if any GT was ever equipped with any of the ten different heavy duty generators/alternators; Leece Neville, two-pulley, hand throttle, or a police speedometer, et al.

And what's included with:
    #101 Heavy Duty Engine - $22.78
    #172 Heavy Duty Brakes - $4.04.
    For those prices, why wouldn't everyone order them?

I did find it more than slightly confusing to have the Production Order options mixed in with the Dealer Installed accessories. Would be easier for me to keep straight if there were two separate lists.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    The extensive option list in the '62 GT article was interesting and I realized I'd never seen any GT with most of those in the last half of the list.

And what's included with:
    #101 Heavy Duty Engine - $22.78
    #172 Heavy Duty Brakes - $4.04.
    For those prices, why wouldn't everyone order them?

jack vines
    You need to remember A dollar was actually worth something back then. It's purchasing power has dropped by 733.10% since then. Compared to 1962, a dollar is only worth $0.12....twelve cents, today.
    Last edited by bensherb; 07-12-2018 at 02:36 AM.

The purchasing power of the dollar changes with inflation. The consumer price index calculator can translate 1962 dollars into 2018 dollars.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

In this example, the heavy duty engine, costing $22.78 in 1962 translates into $191.04 in today's dollars.

It's also useful to think of options cost as a PERCENTAGE of total car cost. The percentage difference will always tell the true story as to how much more any option cost.

Another thing to consider is if the customer ordered the car built to their specification, or whether they bought it off the dealer's lot.

Finally... once a cheapskate, always a cheapskate.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Silver Hawk Member
    Agree with all the above, but still asking, what was in the heavy duty engine? Was it the same as the heavy duty truck engine? HD valves, rotators, aluminum timing gear, bearings?

For comparison, how much was the R1 when it became available?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    You need to remember A dollar was actually worth something back then. It's purchasing power has dropped by 733.10% since then. Compared to 1962, a dollar is only worth $.012....twelve cents, today.
    The way that you have it written ($.012), it would be one point two cents. I do not know if that is correct or if you meant $0.12.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post

Most of those obviously come from a taxi/Marshall list. Makes one wonder if any GT was ever equipped with any of the ten different heavy duty generators/alternators; Leece Neville, two-pulley, hand throttle, or a police speedometer, et al.

I did find it more than slightly confusing to have the Production Order options mixed in with the Dealer Installed accessories. Would be easier for me to keep straight if there were two separate lists.

It's easy when you remember the three-digit order numbers are what identify 'fleet' or Marshal equipment. Not counting 1963/4 R-series HD chassis items before it became part of the 46A package, I also wonder just how many Hawk models of any year had three-digit options on them.

Craig