1956 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Engine

For sale on the AACA website: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/312332-...gine-for-sale/

Price is right for a 'cash & carry' deal in the Akron area.

Craig

Must be a '56 Power Hawk 259 or a Sky Hawk 289, IF it is in fact a '56.

From what you can see of the Colors of the Valve Covers and Block/Heads, it COULD be a '55 C or K that someone THOUGHT was a Hawk, but the Serial number would tell more than we can guess.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any 4-bbl core is worth $100.

Off topic, as is our wont here, anyone venture a guess as to the percentage of Power Hawks were ordered with the optional 4-bbl/dual exhaust. I just realized I've never seen one with this on a Production Order.

Which other models with 259"s offered that option?

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 07-11-2018, 01:48 PM.
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

Off topic, as is our wont here, anyone venture a guess as to the percentage of Power Hawks were ordered with the optional 4-bbl/dual exhaust. I just realized I've never seen one with this on a Production Order.

Which other models with 259s offered that option? jack vines
        Here's the Bill of Sale for at least one 1956 Commander Custom sedanet ordered with Power Kit, Jack.

(Click to enlarge):

Click image for larger version

Name:	56comm2dr 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1721360

A neat little plain-Jane hot rod, eh? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have a 1956 Power Hawk with a four-barrel carb and dual exhausts. They were on it when I got it so I don't know whether or not the set-up is original. It also has three on the tree with overdrive. It's my favorite car to drive.

Comment

I have a 56 power hawk with the 4bbl dual exhaust option, has three on the tree but sadly no overdrive......
            I know it is original as I bought the car from the original owners wife last year, it sat in the garage for 18 yrs after he passed
            I even have the original title in the state of Indiana envelope. she was sad to see it go, said she learned how to drive in it.
            It was a touching ordeal, she even cried a little when we pulled it out of the garage........

Comment

Again, I've never seen a Hawk with a standard 3-speed. I know they theoretically exist. The why is another question. The overdrive added so many advantages for minimal cost, why Studebaker would ever build a standard-shift 3-speed truck or car without it is "inconceivable!"

I'll answer my own question by going off-topic with a quote from Raymond Lowey:

The MAYA Principle
              Loewy’s secret was essential to design for the future – but delivering the future gradually. He designed his famous logos, some of the most recognizable cars of the 40s, 50s, and 60s, refrigerators, and locomotives for his users’ present needs and skills while pushing the boundaries of design and technology beyond his users’ expectations. He called this approach the MAYA principle. Maya is an abbreviation for“Most Advanced. Yet Acceptable.” which means that Loewy sought to give his users the most advanced design, but not more advanced than what they were able to accept and embrace. Loewy believed that:

"The adult public's taste is not necessarily ready to accept the logical solutions to their requirements if the solution implies too vast a departure from what they have been conditioned into accepting as the norm."

Studebaker may have felt overdrive was too complicated and exotic for some of their CASOs, so kept it stupid and made buyers ask for what they maybe didn't even know they needed.

has three on the tree but sadly no overdrive......
              Brings to mind a story related here some years back. When a member went to test drive a '55(?) coupe he was considering buying, he saw the OD handle pulled out, so pushed it in and used the overdrive. The seller asked him what that was; he'd been driving the car for ten years with the overdrive locked out, not knowing it was there.

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 07-12-2018, 06:53 AM.
              PackardV8

Comment

I once owned an original ‘57 Silver Hawk, 289” 2 barrel carb, with a straight 3 speed. 3.54 rear end ratio.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                  When I was 10 ish my father purchased a 1956 Commander, four door sedan, black and yellow equipped with the 289 cid, 4 barrel and dual exhaust as well as a column shift three speed with overdrive.
                  A neat little plain-Jane hot rod, eh? BP
                  No wonder my older brother used to take it out racing his contemporaries with their competitive vehicles. Undoubtedly this is why I am still wired on Studes to this day. Thanks for showing the unusual bill of sale.
                  Bill

Comment

Funny story...

For many years I have been in contact with a fellow Parkview owner. Not long after we first started communicating, they sent me a copy of their production order. It was very interesting to me in that their car was just a few body numbers earlier than mine, was equipped very much like mine, even painted the same colors, had the same interior, AND went to Southern California- just like mine. I'll bet they rode the same trains and trucks.

For reasons I will not (yet) discuss here I showed the PO to Dad last month.
                    The first thing he noticed was the engine's serial number--- it started with a 'P'!!!!

There is no other mention on the PO of this 1957 Parkview being powered by a 289!!!!

It was built pretty early in the '57 model year, so it has me wondering just a little bit....

StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Which other models with 259"s offered that option?jack vines
                      I can answer that one really easy: ALL of them!

ALL V8 1956 thru 1964 259 and 289 Cars had the 4 Brl. Dual Exhaust Option available, Trucks had the 4 Brl. Option with only the Single Exhaust.

And yes, my '56 Power Hawk 259 that Dad sold New, also has the "Power Kit".
                      My 7E13-131 '62 Transtar 1 Ton Dually, was also ordered with the Carter WCFB 4 Brl. but it is an Optional 289.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Again, I've never seen a Hawk with a standard 3-speed. I know they theoretically exist. jack vines
                        Jack, there is an unusually nice, unrestored Hawaiian Green 1959 Silver Hawk V8 with straight three-speed in northern Indiana. Most, if not all, original paint intact. It is regularly shown in South Bend and environs.

IIRC, the current owner bought it from the original owner several years ago. He has the window sticker and everything; it was built with no transmission option. A pretty car. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Hi Bob,
                          When I was 10 ish my father purchased a 1956 Commander, four door sedan, black and yellow equipped with the 289 cid, 4 barrel and dual exhaust as well as a column shift three speed with overdrive.

No wonder my older brother used to take it out racing his contemporaries with their competitive vehicles. Undoubtedly this is why I am still wired on Studes to this day. Thanks for showing the unusual bill of sale. Bill
                          You're welcome, Bill.

Are you sure your Dad's was a 289? That would have been a special order indeed.

Note the body number on the invoice I posted: 616. That means they had built at least 616 1956 Commander Custom V8 (cheapie) 2-door sedans by mid-February 1956. Cool beans. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Jack, there is an unusually nice, unrestored Hawaiian Green 1959 Silver Hawk V8 with straight three-speed in northern Indiana. Most, if not all, original paint intact. It is regularly shown in South Bend and environs.

IIRC, the current owner bought it from the original owner several years ago. He has the window sticker and everything; it was built with no transmission option. A pretty car. BP
                            Actually, Bob, that car is the 1959 Spring color Seamist Green. Photo of it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=2010

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Actually, Bob, that car is the 1959 Spring color Seamist Green. Photo of it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=2010 Craig
                              Interesting, Craig; thanks. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X