(Safety) - New OSHA Standards Regarding Silica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: (Safety) - New OSHA Standards Regarding Silica

Final OSHA letter regarding silica and safety/health issues.

https://www.osha.gov/dsg/topics/silicacrystalline/

(Snippet copy - See link for complete article)

Overview

Crystalline silica is a common mineral found in the earth's crust. Materials like sand, stone, concrete, and mortar contain crystalline silica. It is also used to make products such as glass, pottery, ceramics, bricks, and artificial stone.

Respirable crystalline silica – very small particles at least 100 times smaller than ordinary sand you might find on beaches and playgrounds – is created when cutting, sawing, grinding, drilling, and crushing stone, rock, concrete, brick, block, and mortar. Activities such as abrasive blasting with sand; sawing brick or concrete; sanding or drilling into concrete walls; grinding mortar; manufacturing brick, concrete blocks, stone countertops, or ceramic products; and cutting or crushing stone result in worker exposures to respirable crystalline silica dust. Industrial sand used in certain operations, such as foundry work and hydraulic fracturing (fracking), is also a source of respirable crystalline silica exposure. About 2.3 million people in the U.S. are exposed to silica at work.

Workers who inhale these very small crystalline silica particles are at increased risk of developing serious silica-related diseases, including:

Silicosis, an incurable lung disease that can lead to disability and death;
    Lung cancer;
    Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); and
    Kidney disease.
    To better protect workers exposed to respirable crystalline silica, OSHA has issued two new respirable crystalline silica standards: one for construction, and the other for general industry and maritime. OSHA will begin enforcing most provisions of the standard for construction on September 23, 2017, and will begin enforcing most provisions of the standard for general industry and maritime on June 23, 2018.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Thanks for passing this along Jeff. I forwarded the link to our school facilities director for information or action.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Silicosis is a disease that causes stiffening of the lung . Silica has been blamed for emphysema, this is confined to silica exposure in those who smoke (more government logic-or lack thereof.) Silica exposure in non-smokers does not pose much of a risk BUT I'm still going to wear a good mask when sandblasting NOT Harbor Freight!) And recommend you do also. J. Cassel MD

Comment

Working in heavy industry/manufacturing for a good portion of my life I have breathed silica dust many times. It's good to have a reason why I look and feel this way.
        james r pepper

Comment

Well...perhaps I should get busy and serious about pursuing a "New Invention" I have thought about and never acted upon...a "Wearable Life Protection Bubble," to go along with some of my other ideas, like my "Fun Gauge" (so you could turn around a go home at half a tank of fun...then it would assure any activity would always be fun "there & back!")

Another, probably more important invention would be a special "FART FILTER UNDERWEAR!"

That would convert unpleasant sounds to the musical note of your choice,
          and odors to a pleasant flower blossom smell!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

During the great dust bowl in the mid-west silicosis was known as dust pneumonia, thousands died. Years ago read a book, The Worst Hard Times, that portrayed what these early settlers in the region dealt with, unbelievable. There is a very good video by Pare Lorentz titled "The Plow That Broke The Plains" that is worth watching
            Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Oh great something else to 'Kill' me. Or to make a body shop not touch my trucks.

Comment

Working...
              X