Spring Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Spring Rates

I need to rebuild the front end on my 63 Lark and I'm looking to replace the sagging springs that are in the car now. Does anyone have a list of spring rates for the various springs used in the Larks? I looked in the chassis manual and it just lists parts numbers.

My car is a R2 automatic that is primarily used for drag racing and is rarely street driven so I'd like to find a spring that would help with launching the car.

Nick

For drag racing and rise on launch you want a spring with a somewhat low rate but a tall free height as compared to the installed height. This way you have stored energy. You want a standard spring not a HD one. Back in the day (1969) I used 6 cylinder with A/C front coils or it was a standard 6 cylinder spring from a heavier car like a wagon or convertible in my 63 R2 Lark. I think I used a spring from a 64 application because it was available or some 63 part numbers were superseded by 64 part numbers. The part number was either 1561662, 1561664, or 1561665. All I remember was it had about a 17.5" free height. Installed height is about 11.5". Another option is a Buick spring. We have used Moog CC655 or CC653 variable rate cargo coils intended for the rear of front drive GM cars like a 87 Le Sabre on the front of Studebakers as a replacement for the Studebaker HD springs. The stock replacement spring for the Buick is Moog 5711. It is a 200#in coil with a 15" free height. You might need a Studebaker spring spacer on top in order to keep the OE ride height. The car will lean a lot in turns when street driving but it will ride soft. It should give you lift at the drag strip. I also cut about a 1/2" off the rubber snubber that goes on the frame under the upper A arm for a little more travel. I hope this helps.
    james r pepper

Comment

Thank you, that helps a lot. I've ordered a pair of the Moog 5711 springs to see how they work. If it sits too low I have a pair of the 1/2" spring spacers on hand.

Comment

Let me know how it works out. 90/10 or 70/30 shocks for the front of a 64 - 66 Chevelle and other GM and Ford products will help on launch. 90/10's suck in street driving. 70/30's are better.
        james r pepper

Comment

Morroso Trick Springs are the ticket for drag racing, but are a thrill on the street.

Comment

The picture below show the car with the 5711 springs and 1/2" spacers. The front ride height is nearly identical to the standard 6 cylinder springs w/o spacers. The rear springs are the SS Dodge springs, rear tires are 235/70R15, and the fronts are 205/75R15. I think I'll try the standard V8 or heavy duty 6 cylinder springs next as the front is too low.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5148.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1724799

Comment

Wow! Looks like you will never get any weight transfer until you get it about 5 Inches Higher!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My Avanti had a tired set of R2 springs in it when I got it 5 years ago. It would bottom out going over any crack in the road so I put in a set of Moog CC655's. What a difference. Raised the front almost 2 inches without any spacers. I believe you can still get an equivalent from NAPA or Autozone. If you add the spacer you just may have what you need.

Comment

Working...
                X