GT Hawk value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: GT Hawk value

In the near future, my mom & I will be selling my dad’s ‘64 GT Hawk. It’s probably best described as #3 condition.
    What would all of you think its value is?
    It has power disc brakes, power steering, automatic transmission and 289 with Edelbrock 4bbl. The front fenders have been replaced with fiberglass. There’s also lots of chrome. The valley pan, water pump manifold, water pump pulleys, fan, fan shroud, alternator & bracket, PS pump & reservoir are all chromed. It also has Offenhauser finned valve covers.
    My dad also took off and lost the remote brake reservoir as well as the entire hand brake assembly under the dash. The original ammeter has been replaced with a volt meter that doesn’t even remotely match the other gauges.
    It was driven for many years in Wisconsin, so it has rust.
    Hagerty says the “average” value is $16,600, but I’m not sure if it’s worth that much, or more. Thoughts?
    Thanks all.

I would watch ebay for sales of GTs in similar condition. The last few have been bringing around $10k.

The driver quality market is a little soft right now. For example, last year R1 Avantis would easily bring $20k plus. Now good examples are in the $15k range. Recently, a Speedster that appeared in good condition went for $20k.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Based on the limited information provided and no pictures, I would guesstimate $10K - $12K.

Put it on eBay with an honest description, a low starting price and a reserve that you can live with and the market will tell you the current price.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How about some pictures? From your description, it might be a $2500 project, an $8000 driver or a nice Hot rod that needs some cleaning up.

Comment

O.P. indicated rust. Depending on severity, it would be at most a #4 car. If severe, with rust through or frame damage. Maybe not much value.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

A Studebaker driven in Wisconsin winters is going to have serious rust issues. That is what will determine worth of car. I was able to save everything on my 64 but the body and the frame.

Comment

I think it is a shame that the value of Hawks is not higher. They are a beautiful car unique in design and can be obtained at a low price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                A Studebaker driven in Wisconsin winters is going to have serious rust issues. That is what will determine worth of car. I was able to save everything on my 64 but the body and the frame.
                Several years ago, a co-worker had just moved to California from Wisconsin. He was selling his truck. It had some pretty bad rust issues in the fenders, bed and cowl. When he had not sold it in about a month, I inquired. He could not understand why it had not sold as he had dropped the price significantly since posting it. We had a nice talk about California buyers. I'll admit it. We're wimps when it comes to rust. We are simply not accustomed to seeing cancer on our cars. Couple that with the Car Culture having been "born" out here, we are snobs where cars are concerned. He eventually sold the truck, but was shocked at how little he got for it. After all, it ran like a top. Not good enough here in the Golden State, that's fer sher.
                sals54

Comment

Sal All he had to do was throw a couple gallon of bondo on it, Give it a flat paint job and rip the interior up and someone back east would have bought it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E8D2428-D043-4627-9A5D-4217542FAFE4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1721394Click image for larger version

Name:	CD3FBFF2-F66E-46FC-BC2A-C5E2032E8DEC.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1721395Here are some photos of my Dad’s Hawk that some requested.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	18695F2E-D38F-41A2-ACBD-B8ABC780001B.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1721391
                    Attached Files

Comment

Kyle, in addition to your nice pictures and description, take some more good clear closeups of the front grille area, engine compartment, dashboard area, trunk, and underneath showing under fenders, rocker panels, frame and under trunk. Describe how it drives. List it on an Ebay auction with a low starting price, around $1000.00, for 7 days. At the end of that period you'll know it's real value. That's all there is to it. Dan

Comment

Does the car have an older replacement engine? The oil filler appears to be from a partial flow block. It could affect value.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                          Does the car have an older replacement engine? The oil filler appears to be from a partial flow block. It could affect value.
                          My guess on this is that the older style oil fill pipe was added because the custom rocker arm covers do not have a provision for oil fill (as the original covers had).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Paisan, you have been away from Dyker Heights far too long, time you came back to see what genuine Brooklyn automotive cancer looks like:-)
                            Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            Several years ago, a co-worker had just moved to California from Wisconsin. He was selling his truck. It had some pretty bad rust issues in the fenders, bed and cowl. When he had not sold it in about a month, I inquired. He could not understand why it had not sold as he had dropped the price significantly since posting it. We had a nice talk about California buyers. I'll admit it. We're wimps when it comes to rust. We are simply not accustomed to seeing cancer on our cars. Couple that with the Car Culture having been "born" out here, we are snobs where cars are concerned. He eventually sold the truck, but was shocked at how little he got for it. After all, it ran like a top. Not good enough here in the Golden State, that's fer sher.
                            Last edited by Hawklover; 07-15-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the pic's. I will stick by my original guesstimate on price and my suggestion to put it on eBay with a low starting bid and a reserve that you can live with.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X