Oil Pressure Tube Fitting Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Oil Pressure Tube Fitting Sizes

1952 Champion. I'm having trouble working in an oil pressure switch along the oil pressure plumbing from the pump to the gauge. What size and spec is the fitting attached to the top of the (flat)head where the flexible hose is? It's smaller than 1/8". Any info is much appreciated. Just trying to get the old girl back on the road.
    1952 Green Studebaker Champion
    • manual
    • 6 cyl
    • no radio
    • owner since 4/11/17

Pictured: PO (left) and me
    sigpic

Originally posted by theron View Post
    ... the fitting attached to the top of the (flat)head where the flexible hose is?
    Uncertain of your reference. Replacement hoses are available, both NOS and far superior stainless braided repops. Or are you looking for the fitting where the hose attaches to the copper hard line?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

On my '62 V8 it is STEEL hard line and the fitting on the head end of the rubber connecting hose is 1/8" pipe. The hard line end fitting is one I haven't seen used in decades and have no name for.

Comment

I sure remember them being 1/8 pipe. You must be retrofitting a cut out switch for a fan or electric fuel pump. It is much simpler just to pay attention to your oil pressure gauge and use a toggle switch to turn the pump on and off.
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180710_172745.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1721358This is the fitting I'm having trouble finding the size of. It's smaller than 1/8" NPT and bigger than 1/16". The end that attaches to the pump IS 1/8" inverted flare.
          Last edited by theron; 07-11-2018, 11:53 AM.
          • manual
          • 6 cyl
          • no radio
          • owner since 4/11/17

sigpic

Comment

Here's kind of a "measure twice" scenario. I thought the fittings you suggested were incorrect because I wasn't trying the fittings you suggested. Went back and made sure I used proper thread and size and it fit perfectly.

One of the most enjoyable yet frustrating parts of driving a Studebaker is how much I've been learning. I'd say another great thing is the community. Thanks for the help and beautiful cars, by the way.
            • manual
            • 6 cyl
            • no radio
            • owner since 4/11/17

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theron View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]73768[/ATTACH]This is the fitting I'm having trouble finding the size of. It's smaller than 1/8" NPT and bigger than 1/16". The end that attaches to the pump IS 1/8" inverted flare.

It IS a 1/8" MNPT . On a V8, it can screw directly into the head / on a Six I don't know, but they never reinvented the wheel much.
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
              X