Thread: Emissions

Champion Member

Emissions

Since our cars are all older than 25 years and exempt from safety inspections, has anyone had their car inspected for emissions and what were the results?
    A friend of mine who runs a local Texas inspection station put his sniffer up my tail pipes (pardon the pun ) yesterday just to see what a 289 with a slightly modified Edelbrock carb would push out.
    Here are the numbers that don't mean much to me. I tried finding acceptable levels but now you only get a pass/fail with no actual printout of actual levels.
    My friend had to go into test or calibrate mode to produce the actual numbers
    I saw one post where a dude's pick up truck (what else in Texas) had failed the HC part that he claimed was a 170 ppm pass limit. I believe the CO & Co2 are less than 1% but with catalytic converters.
    Thoughts or comments.

Hawk emissions.jpg

That's interesting.Hopefully, somebody will chime in with the numbers that are required, for a modern vehicle to pass. We are rural enough here, that we do not have vehicle inspections yet.

Interesting, you dropped 49 RPM and all went Down except 02 that went significantly UP I would guess, 4.1 to 5.4.

He must have been trying to Run at approximately 2000 RPM, I would think they would also do a 3000-3500 "High Speed" Test and a 550-850 RPM test depending on Cam, Idle Test.

I wonder if I can find one my Old Calif. DMV Emissions Test Reports that shows my Readings AND the Limits, before 1957's were exempt.
    I SHOULD have one of each, while the DMV had their own Test Stations and after they closed them & let "Smog Shops" be "Certified" to do the testing.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Seems like your friend should know what the number tell you. I had to have a 71 smog exempt bronco checked a few years back as part of a long block engine warranty just to make sure it wasn't running too lean and the tech said it was running a little rich.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Interesting, you dropped 49 RPM and all went Down except 02 that went significantly UP I would guess, 4.1 to 5.4.

He must have been trying to Run at approximately 2000 RPM, I would think they would also do a 3000-3500 "High Speed" Test and a 550-850 RPM test depending on Cam, Idle Test.

I wonder if I can find one my Old Calif. DMV Emissions Test Reports that shows my Readings AND the Limits, before 1957's were exempt.
    I SHOULD have one of each, while the DMV had their own Test Stations and after they closed them & let "Smog Shops" be "Certified" to do the testing.
    I don't remember having to do smog on anything until 1966 here in central CA, was that a southern CA thing back then ?

President Member
    Not receiving my license until 1975 I am not too familiar with older Calif. requirements. But from that time every car 1966 and up required a smog check upon sale. And back then it was not a requirement for the seller and always seemed to default to the buyer.
    Back in the 80's I had a 66 Volvo 544. What a pain. A "left over" car from the last year of manufacture (1965) it was probably the oldest looking car to ever require a smog test. I think there was a 1200 PPM limit on HC and I passed with something in the high 500's.
    Today in Calif. only 1976 and newer cars need a bi-annual smog test. All cars (1976 and newer) test on sale. Cars 5 years or less pay a fee*, but do not require testing. * This fee in lieu of a smog test generates cash for the "gross polluter" buy back program.

About 6 years ago my 1991 Madza 323 failed with a limit of 134 PPM HC. A lot of the newer cars I believe are held to the 60 PPM HC range. Some in my family have has ZERO PPM HC and others in the single digit.

So, your HC being in the 50's with no CAT seems very good to me. I assume these test are stationary? In Calif. the cars (1999 -1976) go on a rolling dyno, with a sniffer, to see what they do under load. Ironically the 2000 and up cars just get their OBD II port read, no dyno, no sniffer. Note this is in congested areas of Calif. Some outer areas get the standard rolling dyno/sniffer test regardless of being 2000+, and some really far flung areas only test on sale of the car. So, depending on where you live you may never need a smog test in Calif. if you bought new and held the car - forever, living in the far flung sector.
    Last edited by wittsend; 07-10-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Quote Originally Posted by rbigcal View Post
    I don't remember having to do smog on anything until 1966 here in central CA, was that a southern CA thing back then ?
    Los Angeles County, I don't remember what year they started but I did install the retrofit PCV Kits in '62-'63 and later the (Gov. Jerry Brown payday) Distributor vacuum advance "eliminator" (GM) AC Kits with the in-hose Water Temp. Sensor Kits in '50's Studebakers.

Remember that New 1961 Calif. (& New York) sold Cars had Factory PCV Systems.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Los Angeles County, I don't remember what year they started but I did install the retrofit PCV Kits in '62-'63 and later the (Gov. Jerry Brown payday) Distributor vacuum advance "eliminator" (GM) AC Kits with the in-hose Water Temp. Sensor Kits in '50's Studebakers.

Remember that New 1961 Calif. (& New York) sold Cars had Factory PCV Systems.
    I do not believe (remember) that New York State required PCV systems on new vehicles until the 1963 model year.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer