Hawk headlight bezel attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk headlight bezel attachment

Hi all, I am starting the final assembly of my 60 Hawk, and have come up with a slight problem. The chrome headlight bezel looks like it had a metal tab on the top, and a screw at the bottom, for attachment points. Both of the tabs are missing on mine, but I can see the bosses where they had been "riveted" to the ring. I have drilled them and tapped to a #6 machine screw, with plans to fabricate new tabs. There is a slot in the fender above the headlight bucket, and a slot in the top of the headlight bucket, and I'm not sure which one to use. Also, is there any chance that somebody would have one laying around, that they could photograph, so that I could get a general idea of what I need to build. Thanks, Tom.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Studebaker made a running change. The early CK cars had slotted headlight buckets and no slot in the fender. Apparently somebody along the way used an early head light bucket in your car. The slot in the fender is a much better way to secure the trim ring. Why? The slotted bucket is very weak in the long run especially when rusted.

Some unsolicited advice. Forget about fabricating new clips. The OE clips are made from spring steel and the trial and error related to making new ones will make you nuts. Far better to locate some trashy old trim rings and go from there. Or simply buy a pair of repos (they come with either type of clip).
    ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Ed, thanks for the reply. I had the original ones replated, so I will need to make them work. There is not much around here for old Hawk parts, but I will keep an eye on internet sites. I will make a few attempts at fabricating the tab, and see how that goes.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I think you find what will limit your fabrication efforts is the tapped threads in the pot metal. You might only get one shot before the threads degrade. Suggest you try Tom Karkewicz for used clips, Studebaker international or post an ad on the Studebaker swap page.
        ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Ed, thanks again, for the suggestion. I was able to fabricate a couple of clips. They will obviously not be spring steel, but I cut some out of an old repair panel, and they seem to be sturdy enough. I got them bent to a profile that fits the slot in the fender, and pulls the top of the bezel in snug to the fender. Tom

Comment

Tom, Your skills exceed mine!! Glad it worked out. Ed
            ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Working...
            X