Thread: Saginaaw Power Steering in 56 Wagon

Speedster Member

Saginaaw Power Steering in 56 Wagon

Does anyone out there have a 56 Wagon with Saginaw Power Steering? The parts book shows it and the Turning Wheels article notes that power steering was available, but I'm curious if one actually exists. Bill

The Saginaw in the steering box, Power Steering was an available Option in all Models up to 1957.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    The Saginaw in the steering box, Power Steering was an available Option in all Models up to 1957.
    Thanks Rich for confirming that. There are two different brackets to hold the steering gear to the frame, 534298 for the WFDPY cars, a tall bracket, and 534201 for the CKs, a bit shorter. I have both brackets, but the one that matches the angle of the standard steering for the wagon is the taller one. I'm trying to put the Saginaw box in a wagon and there is less than a quarter inch clearance between the bracket and the exhaust manifold. I'm wondering if this is the way life is or if I have screwed something up.
    Bill

President Member
    Don't think you messed up; there isn't much spare room in there. This is a super nice ps set-up; much much better than later models with their rats nest of rubber hoses and about a thousand places to leak.

Champion Member
    This is a super nice ps set-up; much much better than later models with their rats nest of rubber hoses and about a thousand places to leak. Boy, you got that right!

President Member
    No question. I have a 56J with the Saginaw and I am just finishing replacing hoses on a friend's '63 Avanti. Nasty, nasty job! No comparison.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)

Quote Originally Posted by clarkwd View Post
    Thanks Rich for confirming that. There are two different brackets to hold the steering gear to the frame, 534298 for the WFDPY cars, a tall bracket, and 534201 for the CKs, a bit shorter. I have both brackets, but the one that matches the angle of the standard steering for the wagon is the taller one. I'm trying to put the Saginaw box in a wagon and there is less than a quarter inch clearance between the bracket and the exhaust manifold. I'm wondering if this is the way life is or if I have screwed something up.Bill
    All you can do is; MAKE SURE that you have both Front and Rear Engine Mounts in the RIGHT HAND Frame Bracket Holes for Left Hand Drive Cars!