No announcement yet.

Labor times.........ya have to laugh:-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor times.........ya have to laugh:-)

It's been said many times that one can never finish reading the 'good book', and indeed that is true both with the old and new testament.

Now another "'good book" for Studebaker gear heads is the factory labor guide, utilized within the service department at Studebaker dealers, along with the true "bible" of the automotive trade....the Chilton labor guide.
    I laugh because over the many years I have referred to the Stude guide, and felt that it is just not a realistic representation of what they say the line mechanic can do in the allotted time. Because the labor was based on new cars, and not vehicles with much use, indeed Chilton would publish two times for each operation, factory time, and Chilton time......which was based on written and phone interviews with service managers, and actual line mechanics.......and let me tell you for customer paid labor if the dealer charged factory and not Chilton time the service dept would cease being a cash cow for the ownership.

For over 25 years I sold the entire Chilton line of repair manuals, years before the pc, and I will say that over 95% of new car dealers purchased the labor guides......which was a good thing because the majority of insurance companies knew that the "Chilton" was the holy grail of labor reality.

I had competitors in the field, Motor, and Mitchell.......mostly Motor......all had good and bad points..........but Chilton was the last word on labor, with no exception. Shop owners used to beech about wiring diagrams.....and indeed Motor and Mitchell used to re-draw the factory schematics......to save on the royalty fees..........Chilton on the other hand copied exactly what the factory gave them and then bound the information in very large volumes., and yes paid to provide that needed service.

I still have a Chilton labor guide from 1965 in my book collection........I could spend years reading that thing~!
    PS...Forget Chilton today...company has been sold many times, and is just a name with lots of non-accurate information:-(
    Last edited by Hawklover; 07-09-2018, 08:17 AM.

Funny how times have changed, it sounds like these Older Chilton Books were actually GOOD!

Nowadays for Many years now, all you see is the Parts Store versions of simplified DIYS Chilton Repair Manuals that you have to buy for every Make and Year Range of Vehicle you work on, and are next to useless.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich and haven't bought any new manuals for many years.
      I have bought Motor's and Chilton books from the 30's through early 60's on ebay, and often get them for about $15 or less.

Comment

Back in the day Chilton published both a "Professional Mechanics" edition......and a host of other books for the "weekend warrior". Only the "Professional Editions" were geared to actual automotive and truck professionals.
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Funny how times have changed, it sounds like these Older Chilton Books were actually GOOD!

Nowadays for Many years now, all you see is the Parts Store versions of simplified DIYS Chilton Repair Manuals that you have to buy for every Make and Year Range of Vehicle you work on, and are next to useless.

Comment

I especially liked the Chiton's time savers.
          The point of view of a mechanic is sometimes so much better than the opinion of an engineer!
          Nice evening to all.
          sigpic

Comment

I have a couple old volumes of my Dad's old GM Chilton manuals in my library just for fun, even though I don't own those cars.

In the past I've also suffered a British car affliction, and in terms of home workshop manuals, anything has to be better than the dreaded Haynes manual! Not only was it a measly 200-odd page volume, but it destined to cover things like "MG 1933-80" and had useful instructions such as: "Installation is the reverse of removal." I still shudder when I think about it.
            Dean Seavers
            Sacramento, CA

Comment

The only good use I've ever found for any Haynes manual was for throwing across the garage to releive stress. Or perhaps as a coaster. Absolutely useless for information.

Comment

How correct you are sir!!!!!!!
                Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                The only good use I've ever found for any Haynes manual was for throwing across the garage to releive stress. Or perhaps as a coaster. Absolutely useless for information.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                  Oh, they're very handy in the kitchen, unsurpassed as heat pads!

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                    Oh, they're very handy in the kitchen, unsurpassed as heat pads!
                    I'd expect a hot pan would stick to the gloss coat cover, of course, once the cover is gone it'd probably work great. I'll have to give it a try, I've got a couple with the covers gone. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X