timing gear stuck !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: timing gear stuck !!

I absolutely destroyed both threads on the timing gear trying to pull it.... now what? I was able to remove the camshaft with the timing gear still on it, but I still can't get it off even when I use a strong puller with a backing plate on it. Am I missing something?Click image for larger version

Name:	timingear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1758184

Not really. Occasionally, a timing gear is just welded to the cam. I've had to cut off a few with a hacksaw and a chisel.

If you have access to a good hydraulic press, suspend the cam down between the cross arms, use a quality bearing separator or two notched press plates behind the gear. Sometimes the press will push the cam out of the gear. Sometimes, it will just break the gear and the center will still have to be cut off the cam.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Since you're not reusing the gear a little heat in the area around the center may help ease it off, along with the press. Lou Cote

Comment

As I did not have the matching screws to the threads into the fiber timing gear, I used threaded rods with nuts and large washers to get it out. It went nicely. Don't try to hammer it out of the camshaft. Some people broke their camshaft this way.
        Nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

If you're gonna save both it's torch flame & creeping oil, but if you're gonna scrap one of them then just cut the other one into pieces.
          Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-10-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

thanks for all the help on this.... off to find a press to use! If that doesn't work then a hacksaw. If that doesn't work, its off to the national in August!!

Comment

Turn the gear where the key is at 12:00. Take a drill and drill holes all around the gear where the plastic meets the metal hub. Then break the gear off with a pry bar. Then drill a line of holes down thru the top of the hub till you hit the key. Take a big chisel & break the thin webs of metal left over from the drilled holes. This will loosen the hub where you can slide it off without much effort. This what we used to do back in the days of few available tools and fewer available brains.....
              Mike Sal

Comment

Came to remember one more trick: Put it in the freezer, it'll shrink, then knock it appart when it's cold & if that aint working heat up only the wheel & if that aint working I don't know what would...

Comment

Love the freezer idea! As noted above, would try bearing separator and a propane torch. If you were pulling out then pull it out and press it off with hydraulic press. Celeron gears weren't one of Studebaker's better ideas.

Comment

Working...
                  X