No announcement yet.

No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a GM style one pole alternator. It is also interesting that my Tachometer will not go past 2500 RPM. I fear I may have several gremlins running around under there. I only have two wires on the ammeter. One red main hot wire, where the short was, and one black wire. Should there be more wires?
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

Comment

The wire being hot indicates a lot of resistance and one would have to suspect that it is corroded and will soon go the way of Ceci's 62. Or catch fire! Just run another wire--it'll be safer.

Comment

If you have access to a Thermal Camera it will show you a lot. (fire depts use them)
        What they are saying about a High Resistance connection at the point of connection sounds about right. A good cleaning will help, but make sure to pay attention to it for a while to make sure that it doesn't continue getting hot, as this may be a harbinger of more to come. Electrical gremlins can ruin your day, and burn down your car, etc. I nearly lost my 2R5 some years back due to a stuck regulator.

Comment

I just saw a thermal camera, on the snap on truck the other day. Probably too spendy, for an occasional use, but shops must be using them to diagnose problems, as noted above.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I bought my temp gun from Harbor Freight, and it works fine. I used it to shoot my Model A engine block and radiator in several places, and also to shoot my brakes and differential. On a day in the high 80's, after a 17 mile drive, the differential was only 97*.

Comment

Working...
            X