No announcement yet.

Engine Will Not Turn Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Lots of further advice. Many thanks! It will be a while before I can walk through all of them. I will try easier ones before trying the #12 suggestion. #13 is a very easy check. I will disconnect the 12v bypass before I start it again. I ran that wire after recently learning from the forum why that 'I' terminal is there. That terminal sat unused for more than 30 years. I use the clutch pedal switch to activate a Ford solenoid, so, for the suggestion in #14, I can move wires around because I do not use the start position. Also from #14, I learn more. I now know that pulling the coil wire does not prevent current from going to the points. Thanks. For #15 - I do not have an electric fan.

If the alternator is providing current, then it should stop when I stop the engine with the clutch. I believe I should be able to confirm no further charge being fed to the distributor by using a test light or meter. I will look at that also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
      Robert, do you have an electric fan on your radiator?
      Even though he does not have an electric fan; good catch Jerry, I'd forgotten about that one. I bet everybody who has used an electric fan without a relay has run into that at some point.

Comment

Turn it off with the clutch?????

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
          Turn it off with the clutch?????
          Pop the clutch to kill the engine, although this isn't a good way to stop the engine, except in an emergency.

Comment

Disregard #12 suggestion , I thought you had a generator and a regulator with screw terminals.

Comment

Here is an update. I disconnected the wire from the 'I' terminal on the Ford starter solenoid, and the engine stopped when I turned it off, every time. I then reconnected the wire, and the engine still turns off, every time. I returned my 1980's universal ignition switch because I was overly bothered by the tinkertoy key that came with the new one. So, the problem went away before I could trace it down. I now have a nut driver in the truck, so I can remove the wire from the ignition terminal while the engine is running, if it ever does it again.

Again, thanks for all of the suggestions.

Unrelated note: While driving the truck last night a man driving next to it asked if I would stop and take a photo of him standing next to the tail gate. His name is Studebaker, and he showed me his drivers license to prove it. That was fun.

Comment

I've taken GM solenoids apart to fix that same problem. The trouble is when it happens, you don't know it messed up until you try to shut it down, and while it's making contact, it's also sending too much voltage to the coil. This could overheat the coil and burn it out.

Comment

Working...
                X