Thread: What is this and what does it fit?????

President Member

What is this and what does it fit?????

Something for a Hawk???

President Member
    Dunno. No such no. in parts cat. Pic? I have a lot of parts with p.n.'s that I cannot find in parts book. Always thought it a bit odd.

President Member
    Jeff what is the p/n of an a/c condenser that fits 62-64 GT Hawks??

Silver Hawk Member
    It's listed as a "tank" in the late Book F price books. Presumably it's a replacement/consolidation number for one or more earlier numbers. New replacement numbers were usually noted in each Book F and/or in service letters.

President Member
    Skip, in this case "tanK" is a receiver/dryer for an a/c unit. My question is are the 62-64 a/c condensers the same p/n as the 63-64 Avantis??
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    It's listed as a "tank" in the late Book F price books. Presumably it's a replacement/consolidation number for one or more earlier numbers. New replacement numbers were usually noted in each Book F and/or in service letters.

Silver Hawk Member
    No they are not. The part numbers for Avanti condensers changed at least once, the final one in my parts book was 1555954. The 62-64 Hawk condenser is 1555769; Lark-types had several different part numbers.

President Member
    Final exam time LOL..............what p/n do you show for 62-64 GT Hawk Receiver /Dryer, as opposed to 63-64 Avanti??

Silver Hawk Member
    They're all different. Avanti: 1558160 (early), 1561304 (late). Hawk: 1550128 (62/63), 1561274 (64)

President Member
    Wish I knew what the difference was in the two Avanti part numbers???
    They're all different. Avanti: 1558160 (early), 1561304 (late). Hawk: 1550128 (62/63), 1561274 (64)

Wouldn't it be GREAT if you could just jump in your Time Machine and go to 1964 in the Plant 8 International SASCO Parts Warehouse and grab one of each OEM one and compare?

NOW, you have order and Pay for the Blueprint Copies from the SNM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Silver Hawk Member
    The part number in post #1 is likely to be usable on several of those applications. As noted in post #4, late part numbers that don't appear in the parts book are usually post-64 replacements for a number of earlier applications. Sometimes they came with a note stating that it wouldn't fit some models without modifying something, using longer bolts, etc.

If one had a complete set of Book F, one could look up the original part number in each one and see if that number was superseded by a later number.

President Member
    Skip, I am also into all things Ford.......and let me tell you those SOBs change numbers around like crazy.....thank goodness the holy grail of old FoMoCo parts is Green Sales Company in Ohio......must have over 2 million different part numbers in stock. Been at it since 1957 purchasing parts from old dealers open and closed.
    The part number in post #1 is likely to be usable on several of those applications. As noted in post #4, late part numbers that don't appear in the parts book are usually post-64 replacements for a number of earlier applications. Sometimes they came with a note stating that it wouldn't fit some models without modifying something, using longer bolts, etc.

If one had a complete set of Book F, one could look up the original part number in each one and see if that number was superseded by a later number.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    Skip, I am also into all things Ford.......and let me tell you those SOBs change numbers around like crazy.....thank goodness the holy grail of old FoMoCo parts is Green Sales Company in Ohio......must have over 2 million different part numbers in stock. Been at it since 1957 purchasing parts from old dealers open and closed.
    Understand. I have some Chevys and a lot of Chevy parts books. Back before GM went digital, they used to issue (quarterly?) Parts History manuals that listed all the supersessions and consolidations -- they were always about an inch thick with small print. It is not usual to find OEM part numbers that have been superseded 4 or 5 times.

Actually, Studebaker rarely changed part numbers -- it's why we all still rely on the the original parts books. But we need to remember that once Stude stopped making cars, they no longer tried to provide exact duplicates of OEM parts -- anything that would fit and work was good enough. Nearly all of their post-66 service letters relate to replacement mechanical part supersessions and work-arounds intended to keep the vehicles on the road. Nobody was interested in restoring them with original parts. Dealers also had access to the Book F price lists to look up replacement numbers.