Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1950 Studebaker R10 Pickup. New To The Forum and Studebaker World!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got fresh oil in it today. I also flushed the cooling system and refilled that. I need to drain all fuel still in the system so that I can add fresh gas. That will be about all the prep work I can do until my new starter switch shows up and I can really see what I have going on!

Comment

Well I put a new voltage regulator on it today and a new starter switch for the clutch pedal. It turns over! It wouldnt start though! was really hoping for a fire up today. I had good fuel supply, but no spark. I found that there was no spark coming from the ignition coil, but did have 6V supply when the key was on. I believe the ignition coil has failed during. Anybody think I am incorrect? I am going to order a new coil and also buy new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor while I am at it. Might as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyGuy View Post
        Hello everyone! I am the new proud owner of an R10 Pickup. I am in the South Bend area. I have never owned a studebaker before and I am very excited. That being said, I really do not know where to begin! I was hoping some veterans to the world of Studebaker could kind of tell me what their impressions were and what they can notice/identify from these pictures (before cleaning it). Does everything look OEM and stock or are there modifications? I believe it still has the 170 ci champ engine?? Not sure about transmission. Was this always a 2 color paint job? I hope to get a battery today and start diving into the mechanical portion of the truck immediately! Looking for some good eyes to give me thoughts on things they might see! As my grandfather told the story on this truck, he purchased it back in 2006 off of ebay. It was being sold by the Studebaker Museum and the truck was used as their service/parts delivering truck. I have no way to verify any of this, but who knows, maybe someone on this forum might be able to help confirm or deny! Thanks everyone.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]73631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73633[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73634[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73635[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73636[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73637[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73638[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73639[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73640[/ATTACH]
        Great photos of the new pickup!

Comment

thank you very much!!

Comment

my 1947 M5 (champion engine like yours) was stored for 6 years. put a new battery in, wouldn't start. no spark. filed the points. started instantly!

make sure you have voltage to a coil primary post and other post has a wire going directly to the distributor points. file the points. crank it with the cap off and you should see little sparks at the points as they open and close. if so the coil should be putting out a spark. stick good spark plug and wire directly into the coil output. ground the spark plug body. crank engine, see if the spark jumps the plug gap. if so its a good chance the coil is fine.
            34 Dictator
            47 M5 Pickup
            48 Commander Convertible
            50 2R10 Pickup
            56 Packard Patrician
            63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Comment

Working...
            X