No announcement yet.

63 R1 with FMX transmission Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 63 R1 with FMX transmission Question.

Does anyone on here have a 63 or 64 with a FMX behind their R1, if so I have a throttle control linkage question for you. How do you adjust throttle control lever up above? I'm referring to the set screw with the jam nut located on the carb linkage where it makes the 90 degree down to transmission. My issue is when I step on the throttle to go into passing mode the engine will surge hard in and out of passing gear. I have a feeling its in the linkage adjustment. Just trying to figure out the best procedure. Now the FMX has the modulator as well but that should only adjust the firmness of 2 and 3 gear. I know someone out there has to have this set up as well.

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Wouldn't you be able to just accelerate in "D" at over 35 MPH as you shift to 2nd. manually, to see if you get the same result as flooring it and waiting for the Automatic shift to 2nd.?
    This is the first I have heard that a Vacuum Modulator only: "that should only adjust the firmness of 2 and 3 gear."
    As far as I know, between it and the Governor, they CONTROL the shift points and firmness of shifts of ALL gears, the 1-2 Shift and the 2-3 shift.

You may need to look at the Shift Lever on the Trans.
    I don't think there IS a second lever and Linkage to the Throttle on a FMX. The Downshifts and all control is by Modulator.

If there IS Throttle Linkage to the Trans., it would be adjusted at the Trans. to Throttle Bellcrank Rod near the Trans.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-06-2018, 12:09 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

@StudeRich, this set up as I got it has the modulator and also the lever which runs up the firewall. The vertical piece that the transmission connects to is the rod that is attached to the accelerator pedal. This vertical piece ties the carb linkage to the transmission. On a Powershift set up you must have a 13/16" (I believe thats correct) gap at the set screw. Now on a FMX I'm wondering if that goes out the door. I ask this question because I see where guys with older Mustangs, that have the FMX, use a Lokar linkage for their downshift usage. Some say to disconnect the modulator but that won't work as you will not get a second or third shift. Been there tried that. I've seen in many articles that the modulator has no bearing over the downshifts. I've been at this for over a year now, no one seems to have any answer to this.
      Jim Kaufman
      Kearney NE

1952 2R10
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

The adjustment you talking about is in the Fuel (Carb.) Section of the Shop Manual to properly set the stop screw at the Top of the Throttle Bellcrank.
        It mainly adjusts the Gas Pedal Height, but it is the correct starting point for the Throttle Pressure Adjustment instructions in the Transmission Section.

THAT is only the Preliminary adjustment, and has minimal affect on the Trans.

Again, As I said in the 4th. Paragraph in Post #2, the MAJOR Adjustment is on the Rod to the Trans.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Pretty sure the rod on the FMX is for the forced downshift. Pushing accelerator to the floor.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
            Pretty sure the rod on the FMX is for the forced downshift. Pushing accelerator to the floor.
            I'm thinking the carb has to be held at WOT then the lever down on the transmission has to be held at its far point as well then locked in that position. The jam nut and screw up above is no longer in specs with the factory powershift settings. This is only a guess on my part right now. This is going off the Lokar videos I've watched.
            Jim Kaufman
            Kearney NE

1952 2R10
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

FMX = Upper picture: 7A256 is the manual control selector lever .. 7A394 is the downshift control lever.

When the modulator valve (not shown) is removed, there is a rod inside that controls the shift points. When the valve is removed, it can fall out.

The correct rod is C2AZ-7A380-A 1/8" diameter x 2 7/8" long. Green Sales Co. in Cincinnati OH has 28 = 800-543-4959.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708080441FPS-8094-B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1721317
              Last edited by WinM1895; 07-08-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

On an FMX the modulator controls part throttle up and down shifts. It is adjustable. The throttle lever is used for forced downshifts only. On the one I have I put a small cable between the lever (I made it vertical) and the lower throttle bellcrank. Both the lever and the throttle should reach full travel at the same point. It works good. You must use a PS type floor shifter as the column shift quadrant will be wrong. The Stude powershift shifter is similar to the Ford Mustang, Pinto, Mustang II, and other 70's Fords that had a floor shifter with no console.
                james r pepper

Comment

Thanks Bill for posting the Ford FMX Parts Catalog Pic here, that sure is one complicated setup, not as simple as the Flight-O-Matics.
                  Looks like a Million Small Parts in there!
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If a FMX is or was installed in my car does the drive shaft have to be modified to make the fit? To be clear, does the shaft have to be shortened or lengthened at all?
                    Jim Kaufman
                    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

The drive shaft will have to modified, since the FMX was installed in 1969/81 FoMoCo Passenger Cars, 1973/77 F350 with 300 I-6.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                        The drive shaft will have to modified, since the FMX was installed in 1969/81 FoMoCo Passenger Cars, 1973/77 F350 with 300 I-6.
                        @ WinM1895, thank you for your info. The plot thickens here with this transmission. I don't think the driveshaft was ever modified.
                        Jim Kaufman
                        Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                        1962 GT Hawk
                        1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Working...
                        X