Thread: Fuel Pump

Champion Member

Fuel Pump

Having trouble installing anew fuel pump on my 60 Hawk. when I install it on the block no fuel. If I pump it by had I get fuel. Both the new and old pump work but not when it is installed. Any Ideas?

President Member
    Are you getting the lever under the lobe? May be the bolt holding the pump lobe - cam gear has cane loose.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselJim View Post
    Are you getting the lever under the lobe? May be the bolt holding the pump lobe - cam gear has cane loose.
    Many years ago, I learned that if it goes in too easy, you probably don't have it installed correctly. In addition to having to have enough youthful flexibility, finger dexterity, and a good enough back to bend down over a fender to install one of these pumps, the actuator arm will fight you a bit as you need to overcome resistance of the spring on the actuator arm to get it under the fuel pump cam lobe. A well placed light source and a good mechanics mirror could verify that the cam lobe is in place before installing. Good luck and let us know if and when you get it going.

Oh...and keep that hood safely propped in place. We don't want to lose you.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

I like to grease the arm so it has immediate lubrication when the engine starts.
    Jim brought up a good point about the bolt coming loose, though I've never seen it happen.

See your answers on your "Other Post" from yesterday, a Duplicate of this one.

It is here in the General Discussion Forum:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...p-Installation
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Jon Meyers told me that most replacement pumps hahe the wrong angle on the actuator arm and either low on no fuel pressure. You are better off rebuilding original Carter. Or call Jon.

President Member
    I have found that you need to prime the line from pump to carb. Don't know why, but last Carter I installed would give me problems especially when after a long snooze.... it eventually went away with daily driving...