How to get rid of Automatic transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of Automatic transmissions

I have two automatics I need to divest myself of. One is out of a 63 Avanti, the other is out of a 72 Jag xj6, which I understand can be used in older Studes. I've tried to give these away before, but no takers. The question is, has the time come to scrap them, or is there someone out there that wants them. I'd rather not have to pack them for shipping, but perhaps there is someone so desperate that needs one that I could help out, if they were willing to arrange shipping. They/we are in Battle Ground WA. Any takers?
    Corley

Is the Jag transmission the equivalent of a BW V8 Flight-o-matic and if so, is it a first gear start?
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Private message sent....

Comment

Is the Jaguar trans a DG250MJ?
        If yes, is it possible to ship it to Germany?

Comment

Jaguar used Detroit Gear (DG) Transmissions, not Borg Warner cast iron case Flight-O-Matics.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Jaguar used Detroit Gear (DG) Transmissions, not Borg Warner cast iron case Flight-O-Matics.
            Thanks, Rich.
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I'll have to check the model # on the Jag trans, but any 60s or early 70s Jag would have one, I would expect Germany is full of them from failed Jag engined cars, and would be way cheaper than shipping one over. Yes, they are first gear start. In the last 10 years, I've already thrown out 2 of these. This one is from a 72 xj6 and worked fine.
              Corley

Comment

I'd love to have the Power Shift out of the Avanti, but suppose shipping to Florida 32668 would be a killer!?
                Bo

Comment

Jaguar used model 65 BW trans in the 70's I don't remember when they started , Many parts can interchange with a 35 , It was kind of a light duty trans for a 4500lbs XJ6

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                    Jaguar used model 65 BW trans in the 70's I don't remember when they started , Many parts can interchange with a 35 , It was kind of a light duty trans for a 4500lbs XJ6
                    I THINK jaguar switched from the Detroit gear trans to the BW65/66 in 1973. The one I have is from a 1972, serries 1 XJ6, so it is the older cast iron trans. The newer ones, the BW65/66s, are all aluminum cases, and I also have one of those excess right now.

Here's the deal on Jaguar boxes: When the US started imposing much stricter EPA regulations, Jaguar had a problem. Their engine was designed during WWII, and was a great engine for it's time, but it was pretty long in the tooth. Part of the EPA requirements meant running the engine a lot hotter, to be able to light off the cat converter quickly, and those higher temps simply were too much for the Jaguar's OHC setup. What happened is that the aluminum heads contained pressed in steel valve lifter bores, which would come loose due to the aluminum head expanding with the high heat. Once these started coming loose, lot's of bad stuff started happening, including cam shaft damage, eventual head damage to the point it could no longer be repaired, etc. The fix, when caught early enough, was to drill and thread pins into the head to secure the lifter guides, but once the head wore too much, this no longer was an option, and the head needed welded up, re-bored, etc., all of which cost more than the whole car is worth. Hence, lot's of Jag XJ6s got conversions to Chevy engines, and lots more just went to the scrap heap. Along with them, went these transmissions.

I rescued a few, but found no market and no use for them, so I am left with one of the DG variety, and one of the BW variety to dispose of. Now about that Avanti powershift trans, I pulled it when converting that car to a TH700R4 overdrive trans. However, the story behind that is thus: One fine day while driving the Avanti, I noticed smoke from under the hood. A quick check revealed that oil was splashing out of the trans dip stick hole, onto the exhaust manifold. Hot manifold + trans fluid = lots of smoke. Being only half a mile from home, I drove it on home, and pulled up in front of the barn, where I had a garden hose, just in case. I opened the hood, and whoosh, huge fire. The garden hose made quick work of it, and nothing was really hurt. So, what happened to cause this? I found the trans cooler in the radiator had opened up, and radiator water got into the transmission, turning the trans oil pink, and over-filling the transmission. It also caused it to foam up. I put an external cooler on the trans, then drained all the pink oil, and flushed the trans a couple times with trans fluid, and everything was back to normal, shifted fine, didn't slip, or anything. I drove it only about 500 miles after that, before installing the OD trans, and all was fine, but that trans comes with the possibility of problems in the future due to the water/oil mix having been in there. Luckily, there was no antifreeze in the car at the time, or I'm sure it would have done some real damage.

Now you know the real story behind these extra transmissions... Life has caught up with reality, and I am trying to clear some of the excess items out of the shop before my wife has to deal with them. You know, she says "funeral at 10:00, auction at 12:00, and moving van comes at 2:00". I'm hoping that is many years down the road, but being 77 now, I know reality has it sooner than later.
                    Last edited by Corley; 07-06-2018, 07:41 AM.
                    Corley

Comment

Corley PM sent.-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                        I'll have to check the model # on the Jag trans, but any 60s or early 70s Jag would have one, I would expect Germany is full of them from failed Jag engined cars, and would be way cheaper than shipping one over. Yes, they are first gear start. In the last 10 years, I've already thrown out 2 of these. This one is from a 72 xj6 and worked fine.
                        Could you please check the model #? At the moment there is no DG250 trans for sell in Germany and shipping from the USA is "only" $300 from Humble, TX. (Plus the shipping from the seller to Humble, TX and the shipping within Germany, which is approx. $100)

@ all
                        Can anyone confirm that a Jaguar transmission fits a Studebaker? I suspect that the converter housing needs to be transferred from the Studebaker, but does the rest fit? Or do I have to change something internally?

Thanks,
                        Martin
                        Last edited by gsx_martin; 07-07-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Good question! IF the Converter and Input Shaft are Studebaker peculiar (likely) that would be a ball of snakes, because MORE internal Parts would have to match the interior end of that Input Shaft.

A Technician at a Trans. Shop that has worked on BOTH, would have to answer that one.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Good question! IF the Converter and Input Shaft are Studebaker peculiar (likely) that would be a ball of snakes, because MORE internal Parts would have to match the interior end of that Input Shaft.

A Technician at a Trans. Shop that has worked on BOTH, would have to answer that one.
                            I have worked on both, but it has been decades. I think that the Jaguar transmission is similar (not the same) and based on the Studebaker transmission. I have used Studebaker parts to repair a Jaguar transmission. I never tried to exchange one for the other.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jag trans bolts up to Stude DG250 bell housing using Stude converter. This gives a 1st gear start.

Trans have been assigned a new home, thanks for your interest.
                              Corley

Comment

Working...
                              X