Thread: Rusty Wallace Racing Experience

President Member

Rusty Wallace Racing Experience

I've told my girls this will be my last one, but as Christmas gifts, they've bought me a 180MPH ride in an Indy Car, and on this Sunday, a ride and drive in a NASCAR race car.

They have not paid full price for either experience. If this is something you'd like to do, check out Groupon. They offer these at 50% plus off.

I've been in both now, and driven a real NASCAR race car. Both put different strains on drivers/riders. Frankly, the stock car was hot with no air flow, and you had less sense of where you were at on the track. The radio spotter for the stock car, is indispensable.

The stock cars were governed to 155MPH, but Lucas Oil Speedway is a short track. I'm sure my ride with the professional was close to 155. I doubt I broke 100 driving myself.

45 minute class before you can go out by yourself, but for a couple hundred bucks, these experiences are well worth it if you want it (or your wife and daughters buy it for you).

Add $60 for the insurance. Means a $1000 limit vs. $15K if you get too confident. We were told a lady hit the wall out of Turn 4 Saturday by hitting the gas when she shouldn't have. Might have needed it if I was 25 years old again.

https://racewithrusty.com/

The RWE is in my area several times per year. They do all different types of classes, both drive yourself and ride along. A couple times I was their driver for ridealongs here. It’s fun to take people out and let them see what it’s really like.

Our experience is that a lot of their equipment, at least here, is tired. Sometimes we did odds and ends to the cars to get them going. The highlight was about five years ago when the ramp door fell off their trailer and we had to fix it just to get the cars out :-)

As you say though, it’s a neat experience for people who have never raced oval track cars. Without exception, the people I have seen and driven were shocked at how it was nothing like what they thought it would be.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Without exception, the people I have seen and driven were shocked at how it was nothing like what they thought it would be.
    Yes Bob, they feel like farm tractors at slow speeds and maneuvering in the pits. Clutch had a much heavier feel than I expected, again like a farm tractor. We only used second and third gear, shifting once into third 3/4 of the way down the pit exit ramp. Shifter looks like part of an erector set. The things feel much better once you are out on the track, and it's true they are aligned to turn left. I was surprised the most by how limited your field of vision is in the stock car. It was 90+ degrees, and all the heat from the engine hits you head on. By the end of 15 Laps, I looked like I jumped out of a swimming pool when I peeled my suit off. It's not an easy ride!

Well...all I want to know is...for a true "Rusty Wallace Racing Experience"...are you required to elevate your voice to a high pitch and whine about everything except your own driving ability when it's over????
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Well...all I want to know is...for a true "Rusty Wallace Racing Experience"...are you required to elevate your voice to a high pitch and whine about everything except your own driving ability when it's over????
    I bet the lady that hit the wall the day before gave him a run for the money.

The HANS device means you can't swivel your head much. I can see why the oldtimers resisted them. Rusty himself, was not at my event. But, both the Indy and Rusty staff are very kind, accommodating and understanding. And at Rusty's, even for people who have never driven a clutch/stick! They put it in third and give them a push start! Each one thanked me at least once for coming out. I hadn't gotten in and out of a car through the window since I was a teen. And, I can't bend myself like that anymore.

Sounds fun!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.