Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

54 C/K coupe Chrome grille bezels argent paint detail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 54 C/K coupe Chrome grille bezels argent paint detail.

My question is as follows. On the chrome grille bezel surrounds does the argent paint go up the vertical insides or is the argent silver paint only on the lower bottom ? I want to get it right while they are on my work bench back from the chrome shop. TY
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

I painted mine up the vertical inside and I don't think anyone will argue with doing it that way. While we're painting the grill, I'd like someone that really knows to chime in on the following. If you are going to paint your car a light color, I would paint everything behind the grill flat black. I have a yellow 53 and everything behind the grill is yellow. It reflects off of the grill bars and you can see a lot of yellow reflections. The grill looks a lot better at night. I notice on the 56 wagon I'm doing that the fender behind the grill had been painted flat black. Did the factory ever paint it black behind 53 54 grills?
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Comment

The argent paint should end at the ridge (goes up the sides a bit). This is from memory (check first).
      I do not believe that the interior/back sections were painted different on 1953-1954s. I know that you get a lot of reflection of what is behind/above the shiny grille bars (parking light assemblies).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bill, your cars are awesome !!! I was painting mine semi black behind the grille insets. When I got the 54 it was that way, but it might have been changed to that in the course of it's existence.

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post
        I painted mine up the vertical inside and I don't think anyone will argue with doing it that way. While we're painting the grill, I'd like someone that really knows to chime in on the following. If you are going to paint your car a light color, I would paint everything behind the grill flat black. I have a yellow 53 and everything behind the grill is yellow. It reflects off of the grill bars and you can see a lot of yellow reflections. The grill looks a lot better at night. I notice on the 56 wagon I'm doing that the fender behind the grill had been painted flat black. Did the factory ever paint it black behind 53 54 grills?
        Bill
        1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

I missed this thread when originally posted as I was on vacation at the time....

My '53 is light green and had never been apart before. There was black paint behind the grills over the green and it was obviously applied sloppily with a brush. You would not realize this unless the grills were removed.

Jeff in ND

Comment

The 56 sedan black paint behind the grilles was applied by sloppy brush also.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
            X