Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Since I am not McGiver, I need suggestions!

  1. #1
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,831

    Since I am not McGiver, I need suggestions!

    I have an R-1 with a/c and a 500CFM Edelbrock carb.
    What can I purchase and customize to allow the carb to increase several hundred RPM's with the a/c on and stopped at a light, or in stop-n-go traffic?

    I imagine there has to be some kind of solenoid that can be attached???

    Thanks for some ideas!

  2. #2
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA, USA.
    Posts
    8,154
    Studebaker equipped the AC cars with a throttle kicker solenoid. Put out a WTB here and see what's offered.

    If you can't find the original, millions of GM cars were equipped with them. A trip to the U-Pik yard is always fun.

    jack vines
    PackardV8

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,831
    Yes I know, a real POS.....tossed it years ago and then tossed the AFB. I will keep looking:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Studebaker equipped the AC cars with a throttle kicker solenoid. Put out a WTB here and see what's offered.

    If you can't find the original, millions of GM cars were equipped with them. A trip to the U-Pik yard is always fun.

    jack vines

  4. #4
    President Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wimauma, FL, USA.
    Posts
    767
    There was a fast idle kit that was composed of a smaller water pump pully and an electric kicker. I have one on my 64 R1 with A/C. It might be difficult to find one, but they work well.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

  5. #5
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Olathe, CO, USA.
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    I have an R-1 with a/c and a 500CFM Edelbrock carb.
    What can I purchase and customize to allow the carb to increase several hundred RPM's with the a/c on and stopped at a light, or in stop-n-go traffic?

    I imagine there has to be some kind of solenoid that can be attached???

    Thanks for some ideas!
    Have a look at Edlebrocks web site.. They have several throttle kicker setups that are bolt on and go. Summet Racing as well a Speedys should have them as well...
    A bit pricy I think but since you are not McGiver might be better that the frustration of messing about with a junkyard setup.. DMc

  6. #6
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,831
    Yes......Studebaker Miami tossed mine in the trash(1967) because it never worked correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    There was a fast idle kit that was composed of a smaller water pump pully and an electric kicker. I have one on my 64 R1 with A/C. It might be difficult to find one, but they work well.

  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, California, USA.
    Posts
    2,542
    Who is this McGiver you speak of?

    Dean.

  8. #8
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,519
    The stock ones were Vacuum controlled Kickers, when properly adjusted worked fine.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  9. #9
    President Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wimauma, FL, USA.
    Posts
    767
    Was waiting for OP to respond, but here goes. MacGyver is a special operative known for his ability to fashion gadgets from material at hand to solve problems relating to his assignments. I believe there is a remake series on TV.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

  10. #10
    President Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    South Bend,, In, USA.
    Posts
    1,127
    At my house, it is called Jimmy rigged.

  11. #11
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,831
    LOL to the max!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselJim View Post
    At my house, it is called Jimmy rigged.

  12. #12
    President Member hausdok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kenmore, WA
    Posts
    2,092
    At my place it's known as mikeanical engineering.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

    '58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

  13. #13
    President Member christophe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nancy,Lorraine , France.
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by dean pearson View Post
    Who is this McGiver you speak of?

    Dean.
    And he was impersonated by Richard Dean Anderson.
    Yes, there's a reboot of this series.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •