1956 Hawk Trunk Lock and Latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1956 Hawk Trunk Lock and Latch

I have a '62 Hawk and the trunk lid is from a '56 Hawk. What does the latch look Like? I have the lock mechanism that fits the trunk hole but does not even touch the latch I have. If I knew what type latch I was looking for maybe I could lock the trunk. Chet445

They are quite dissimiliar. We have a Skyhawk and a 62 GT. Best thing is go to parts book and look at the pics there.You would need the 56 latch to make it work- it would not be correct for a 62 and it you have the Al overlay that would not work either. The 62 is just a key release, but the 56 has a very nice latch so that you can close truck without locking it. See if some one near by wants to swap!

Comment

I have since learned that the lock and latch for '56 Hawk is one of a kind. Apparently 53 to 55 interchanged as did 57 through 64. My 62 Gran Tourismo has been a car with new surprises everyday. What an experience doing a restro...ugh.

Comment

Question? I have a '61 Hawk with a '56 trunk lid. What is the difference between the '61 and '56 latches? Mine will catch some times, but will not stay latched.-Jim

Comment

Jim, I have one on the way and will advise you of difference when I get it.

Comment

Thank you!-Jim

Comment

Jim, the part I received is same as what I have. I suspect the problem is in the lock mechanism. The person I spoke with said the latch I received was for a '56. The saga continues and I will get it and reply accordingly. Chet

Comment

P/M me if you find a solution, I will do the same-Jim

Comment

Check your email; or send P/M. Chet

Comment

Trunk Latches

In reading your request again, no one seems to have sent you photos, so here's what the 56J and '62GT trunk locks look like. Sorry for the fuzzy 56J latch shot but it's an old low resolution photo and magnified quite a bit from the original trunk shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1089.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1721344

Name:	56J Under trunk.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1721345

And here's my '62 GT set-up:

Name:	IMG_3008.jpg
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1721346

Name:	IMG_3009.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1721347
                    Last edited by 56GH; 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM. Reason: More photos
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

It is obvious that because of the major Height difference of the location of the Locks, that the Latch has to be radically different.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There is no "radical" difference. The difference vs is the 56 lock acts directly on the latch release. The later locks since they are higher have to use a link to connect them. (The lock and latch assembly) either can be modified to work.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I agree the 56 lock works directly on the latch but the real difference is that the lock, on the 56 has a longer "tail" that rests against the latch. The tail is about 1 1/2' inches long versus the 3/4" on the back of the lock.

Comment

Working...
                          X