Wiring this GM generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiring this GM generator

My truck came to me with a late 50s GM generator. The wires were burned and fused from a small engine fire and I can't trace them back to the regulator. None of the sources I have found identifies the terminals on the generator. I did find a picture that seems to identify the field terminal.
    Can anyone here identify these for me?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 06-29-2018, 06:00 AM. Reason: add picture
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I would say the picture is definitive. Look closely for "A" or "F" stamped lightly into the case next to the studs. Quite often, the field stud has a smaller diameter than the armature stud, although the nut hex is the same. Your blue arrow is the ground stud, which should be connected by a #10 wire to the regulator base, and/or engine block ground.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      I would say the picture is definitive. Look closely for "A" or "F" stamped lightly into the case next to the studs. Quite often, the field stud has a smaller diameter than the armature stud, although the nut hex is the same. Your blue arrow is the ground stud, which should be connected by a #10 wire to the regulator base, and/or engine block ground.
      I guess I did better than I thought. Having two terminals on the end of the generator was throwing me. The books I referred to all had the terminals placed differently than this one. I finally found the picture with the field tagged.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes, as Gord said. The red tag even says do not connect the radio suppression condenser to this field terminal.

I don't have the wiring schematic, but is the ground wire really 10 gauge?
        That sounds pretty heavy.

Comment

Just for reference, this is how it came to me.
          Attached Files
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

What are you going to do with that GM Type Power Steering Pump on the back?
            It would seem unnecessary to have to spin that for nothing and probably ruin it.

If you leave it Off, the Generator will need some kind of custom rear Cover.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              What are you going to do with that GM Type Power Steering Pump on the back?
              It would seem unnecessary to have to spin that for nothing and probably ruin it.

If you leave it Off, the Generator will need some kind of custom rear Cover.
              It goes with this. I haven't had a chance to see how well it works.
              Attached Files
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Did you get the carb sorted out? Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                  Did you get the carb sorted out? Luck Doofus
                  I think so. It will start easily, but I haven't set the timing and adjusted the idle, etc.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                  X