Thread: Investigative reporter and the Champ

President Member

Investigative reporter and the Champ

After trying for a year to get a chrome shop in Concord NC to return my bumper, I contacted a local TV station for help.They came out today for an interview and pics of the truck. It's a long story, but in short, the shop will not return calls. They last posted on their FB site that they are still working on it and will ship next week "no matter what." (That was June 9).
    The reporter has tried to contact them but also in vain. They are not a Stude vendor so my rant may fall on deaf ears as another lesson learned in life. All I ask is that they return the bumper, as is, and they keep the $300 deposit. Seems simple enough.
    I guess the next step is the BBB or Consumer Affairs.
    After many falsely promised delivery dates I am frustrated and aggravated!
    Last edited by rbruner; 06-28-2018 at 10:41 AM.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Robert, I sure hope they did not lose or destroy it. What a bummer!
    I am glad it was not a Studebaker vendor. Keep us apprised of your progress. The BBB is a good next step. You might need to find out if your State AG has a fraud division that investigates these matters as well.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    Thank, Ed. I'm starting to feel like Charlie Brown with the football. "Trust me, this time for sure."

Golden Hawk Member
    A friend had a chrome shop lose the "bullets" from his Packard Hawk front bumper. After much back and forth, he sued them. Magically, the shop located the parts in their discard pile out back.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    Hopefully you have a receipt or some record of it being in their possession. Small claims court might be a good option.

President Member
    Thanks. I have copies of our agreement, cancelled check, registered letter and transcribed every text message. This company still rates 5 stars by customers. The entire ordeal is baffling.

Lay out the pieces going to the plating shop, then take a picture of them. Print it out on paper and give one sheet to the plating shop and keep a sheet for yourself.
    Might even be good to have a date of completion and cost given on each sheet.

President Member
    The completion date was last Sept. I was to pick up bumper at a car show in Myrtle Beach. Then Hurricane Irma hit. Then their pipes froze and burst in Jan. Then Dave was training new help, then the help had the flu and then...........

Speedster Member
    Yeah, I think small claims might be your best bet to kick them in the ***

It might motivate them to find the part.

It would be good to put together a phone log of the dates (or approximate dates) that you called them to check on the status to no avail. That helps for court...

Heck, you may even be able to find a way to charge them extra for the delays to get more than the value.

If they are in a different county or state, I believe you can file the order in your county and they have to come to your court. At least, thats how it works in California. Not sure about South Carolina.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Yes. Remember, the one with the best notes wins!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    Thanks, guys. I considered driving 4 hours to NC to pick up bumper but chances are there would be nobody in their shop. I need that guy from the old tv show "the Equalizer". Edward Woodward.
    Last edited by rbruner; 07-15-2018 at 08:57 AM.

President Member
    Just received a text from the chrome man. He says it will be 10 more days max. He no longer has the bumper and has given it to another shop to finish. Claims he almost died. May be the truth. The Champ was the last project for the body shop owner before he died also. I'm not liking this omen.
    He is also questioning why the TV reporter is involved. Am I the bad guy here?
    Last edited by rbruner; 06-28-2018 at 04:07 PM.

No, you are not. Assuming he is telling the truth, he still should have been in regular contact with you every step of the way. If the bumper does not appear, and to your satisfaction, on the promised date, then I'd suggest proceeding with legal action.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Forget the better business bureau. They are more about promoting businesses than protecting consumers.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

In the past I have had good luck retrieving items from scoundrels by employing 2 very large muscular men from a well known national motorcycle club.
    They can be very persuasive.
    Doesn't matter what state as they have chapters everywhere. Fee includes recovery and return delivery.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

We had a local chrome shop in my area. Guy would show up at cruise-ins and car shows handing out business cards. Great chrome work but very high price. One day I saw on the news that he and his wife were arrested for loading up his waste chemicals in the bed of a pickup (55gallon drums laid down) and purposely allowing it to leak out as the wife drove around on rural county roads.

They might be out of prison now but I don’t know of any more “Mom & Pop” chrome shops around here.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Update: today's local news at 6 and 11 is airing their report on the bumper saga. The shop owner says they have been messaging him daily. Says it will be shipped tomorrow as is.He means it this time. We'll see.
    The action line news show is named "Call Collett" Rebecca Collett is the reporter.
    Last edited by rbruner; 07-11-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    One day I saw on the news that he and his wife were arrested for loading up his waste chemicals in the bed of a pickup (55gallon drums laid down) and purposely allowing it to leak out as the wife drove around on rural county roads.
    I guess you could say they were 'giving back' to the community!!

Craig

President Member
    Good Morning, Here’s a link from yesterday’s 6 pm news.

https://www.counton2.com/news/invest...per/1297830495

I wish you well, my friend
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

President Member
    Thanks, Ron
    Now the chrome man is accusing the reporter of using the story as a publicity stunt. He told her to stop all communication. He still has the bumper!
    His wife says they don't have any money to ship it back.
    So I called a shipping co. to pick it up but they're afraid of the neighborhood where the bumper is located. Can it get any more complicated?
    Last edited by rbruner; 07-18-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Time for small claims court, just for the principle. Or if you have a good lawyer friend, a nastygram can work.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

President Member
    Yep. Court and then the Motorcycle guys. sometimes takes both.

Change the name of the shop to "Darryl's License plate Restoration" of Duryea, PA, and the story will be exactly the same. All you are missing is the nasty old woman that might or might not answer the phone at Darryl's. All I can say is "Never again"

Tom