1965 Daytona Ignition Switch Falls Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 1965 Daytona Ignition Switch Falls Out

My recently acquired 1965 Daytona's ignition switch falls out when rotated. It was fine when I bought it in May. Oddly enough there was an article from Turning Wheels, (OCT 99), about the problem of the bezel failing and a failed bezel in the glovebox. I did not even read it until the bezel failed again. The previous owner was wise enough to add a 30 amp fuse to the wire feeding the switch so no harm. I bought a new bezel from S.I. and installed it, the switch still falls out. There is no "spacer" on the switch. S.I. lists the switch housing itself as a through 66 but the spacer as only through 64. I ordered a new spring and spacer for a 64 from S.I. tonight, will that fix it? I have a way to clamp the housing behind the dash figured out but would rather leave it stock if I can, it is a very tight spot.

JK

There may be different thickness spacers and different length springs. I just went through this and found that I could feel the correct tension when I tried to install the switch. If it feels too tight it probably is. The spacer stops the spring from grinding through the face panel so make sure you have one. If the spring isn't tight enough you might try to stretch it a bit but be careful. Also notice that the bayonet is offset. Good luck.

Comment

There are two nubs that engage against spring pressure. I have had one of the nubs snap of and then the switch drops down and then arks to ground.
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment