Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh-Oh: Did Plymouth make Studebaker 259 V8s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike cenit View Post
    how far back? EMF?
    Not that far back. For example, the diesels used in both cars and trucks.

EDIT: How about all of the 1965-1966 model cars?
    Last edited by studegary; 06-27-2018, 07:14 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

True, I was kind of thinking regular production stuff, trucks always had options, the GM diesel etc, and the 65/66 aside from Canada.

Comment

The Erskine used a Continental 9-F engine.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I guess that ends that, thanks

Comment

The "289" cubic inch Studebaker V-8 actually displaces 289.066 cubic inches with its 3.5625" bore and 3.6250" stroke.

The "289" cubic inch Ford V-8 actually displaces 288.524 cubic inches with its 4.00" bore and 2.87" stroke.

Know-it-all car fan: "But, but, but...... it is the same engine! A friend of mine told me that!!"

Comment

Originally posted by whitehawk759 View Post
              I had a fellow that was driving a nice original 1957 Hawk that his had a Packard "big" 289 that Studebaker had bought from Ford.
              I don't know how to unravel that one?
              Laugh your arse off and then walk away! If remarks are required your retort should be, "Funniest darned (*&%!) garbage I've heard all day!!!)
              Bo

Comment

I know for a fact that some Studebakers used a 390 Packard engine. (Car Show intellect) I also once met a man whose uncle special ordered a '52 with a 289 from the factory.
                American iron, real old school
                With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Doing some research for my December 2018 Hemmings Classic Car column, I ran across an interesting tidbit :

By contrast, "289" Studebaker and "289" Ford V-8s really have different displacements when carried out to three places because they have different bores and different strokes.
                  Studebaker 289 introduced in 1956, Ford 289 introduced in 1963.

Studebaker: Solid lifters, dizzy located behind carburetor, valve covers retained by two studs/nuts that poke thru center of cover. Originally had a partial flow oil filter mounted on top of engine, in front of carb.

Ford: Hydraulic lifters (except HiPo), dizzy located in front of carb, valve covers retained by 6 bolts around the perimeter, full flow oil filter threads into adapter on left side of block.

Packard 320 & 352 introduced in 1955. 320 dropped in 1956, while the 374 was introduced. 56J's used the 352.

Ford 352 introduced in 1958 & 390 introduced in 1961.

Most people don't have a clue what engine size they have, and don't have a clue who made it.

One cluck on the Ford truck site I'm a member of, swore that 1968/76 F100/350's used the Dodge 360.

Uh huh, Ford 360/390 used the same block and heads, the only difference was the stroke. 360 only installed in F100/350's.
                  Last edited by WinM1895; 06-28-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post

Studebaker: Solid lifters, dizzy located behind carburetor, valve covers retained by two studs/nuts that poke thru center of cover. Originally had a partial flow oil filter mounted on top of engine, in front of carb.
                    True for 1960 & later; two studs & nuts holding valve cover. Previous years had four per valve cover.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      True for 1960 & later; two studs & nuts holding valve cover. Previous years had four per valve cover.

Craig
                      I knew it went from 4 studs/nuts to 2, but couldn't remember the year.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post

Ford: Hydraulic lifters (except HiPo), dizzy located in front of carb, valve covers retained by 6 bolts around the perimeter, full flow oil filter threads into adapter on left side of block.

Packard 320 & 352 introduced in 1955. 320 dropped in 1956, while the 374 was introduced. 56J's used the 352.

Ford 352 introduced in 1958 & 390 introduced in 1961.

Most people don't have a clue what engine size they have, and don't have a clue who made it.

One cluck on the Ford truck site I'm a member of, swore that 1968/76 F100/350's used the Dodge 360.

Uh huh, Ford 360/390 used the same block and heads, the only difference was the stroke. 360 only installed in F100/350's.
                        Are you saying the 360 was only used in the F100 and F350 or all models between the F100 and F360? I had a 1976 F150 4x4 that had a 360.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Not if you go back far enough in Studebaker history.
                          A number of 1930's big trucks used Hercules engines as did the 200,000 US6 trucks produced in WW2. My Reo based 1962 Studebaker M-35 has a Hercules diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                            Are you saying the 360 was only used in the F100 and F350 (no) or all models between the F100 and F350?

I had a 1976 F150 4x4 that had a 360.
                            1968/76 F100/350 = F100/250/350 + 1975/76 F150.

360/390 = 2WD, 4WD = 360 only.

30+ years as a Ford parts guy, with 77,000+ posts on Ford Truck Enthusiasts, I don't make too many mistakes.

Comment

As Guido stated
                              A number of 1930's big trucks used Hercules engines as did the 200,000 US6 trucks produced in WWII
                              my 1945 Studebaker US-6 2 1/2 ton is all original with a Hercules JXD Flathead 6 displacing 320 CID and even has the Studebaker "Wheel" cast into the exhaust manifold. Maybe our rumor of the day should state it was actually a destroked Chev 327 or a slightly over bored Chryco 318 polyspheric motor. Just a little time shifting involved.
                              Bill

Comment

At one time the South Bend Foundry was full of engines stored there, that looked like the 2 1/2 Hercules engines, they may have come from the 2 1/2 ton trucks that were converted to multi fuel

Comment

Working...
                                X