Thread: Ebay

President Member
    Blog Entries

Ebay

Is it typical to wait 21 days for release of the payment from Paypal? I do very little on ebay, sold an item this morning via Paypal. Buyer did not want to wait for end of auction so it was sold at buy it now price only to find out getting money is 21 days away. Is that how ebay works? Ken

Silver Hawk Member
    I've sold a fair amount of golf stuff and some auto parts on Ebay and use Paypal exclusively. The money has always been there within a short time (minutes) of when the buyer pays through Paypal. I guess for very expensive items it might be different but I've never had a problem like yours. I'd talk to Paypal and wouldn't send the item until I've received payment.

When I've sold with a BIN, the payment came within a short time of the sale.

I'd like to hear the resolution if you would, Bob
    , ,

PayPal Payments

Quote Originally Posted by ken-renda View Post
    Is it typical to wait 21 days for release of the payment from Paypal? I do very little on ebay, sold an item this morning via Paypal. Buyer did not want to wait for end of auction so it was sold at buy it now price only to find out getting money is 21 days away. Is that how ebay works? Ken
    Not typical but it depends on how the buyer is funding the payment --

Usually you get paid right away-- but --

It can take several days if there is a hold on the payment such as money being transferred from a bank account as opposed to it coming from an existing PayPal balance or a credit card linked to PayPal --

And, in the case of an unverified user, it can take up to 21 days.
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

President Member
    One thing for sure is Paypal won't be paying you..., until they receive funds from the buyer. Likely somewhere in the fine print is a clause that gives the buyer time to pay and time for Paypal to to process the sale. You may be surprised how many people will buy something on Monday and they can't "fund" the purchase until they get a pay check on Friday knowing they have a number of days to pay. While it doesn't match with the Buy It Now aspect of your sale sometimes people win (auto bid) on a Friday night and will be out of a phone/computer connection (camping etc.) until Monday when they return home.

That said, I have waited far longer for deliveries than I have for payments so hopefully you will be paid sooner than later.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Like Bob I am a fairly heavy PayPal user and it has never happened to me. If you're a new seller and don't carry a PayPal balance, or haven't entered a credit card as a back up payment, PayPal really doesn't have a choice but to not allow you to withdraw funds from your account until the buyer receives the item and is satisfied with what they received. PayPal guarantees buyers will get what was advertised. Good for buyers and for honest sellers.

The buyer HAS paid and the funds are in your PayPal account. You just can't withdraw them. If you don't ship the item, the buyer will file a dispute with PayPal and PayPal will refund the buyer's funds from your account.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/...ilable-faq1987

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/...1-days-faq3236
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    It seems that Ebay/Paypal has "Escrow-ized" the process.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    As I understand it the seller gets paid right away but the buyer does not have the money taken out of their account for 21 days.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

After a long hiatus from selling I recently sold 3 owner's manuals on ebay, 2 of them Studebaker. For some reason paypal directed payment to a nonexistent email address. It then showed up on ebay as payment pending so I sent the items off. 30 days later I learned from one buyer about the error and this buyer went out of his way to pay me. The other two buyers have so far declined to pay (both Studebaker manuals). Hope they enjoy them.
    In the end Ignorance will have conquered all adversaries

Don't hasten the end