No announcement yet.

Trouble matching gray interior trim paint - 1955 President State Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your window trim looks very similar to the paint I was looking for to restore my 1955 Evinrude outboard motor.
    I took an Evinrude part to AutoZone and found an almost perfect match.

Comment

In theory, that LOOKS like a very common Silver/Gray, but apparently not.

What would come very close would be the Eastwood Gray cast Aluminum spay cans. I have one, and have used it recently.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

35-40 years ago, I used a bunch of these to detail otherwise unreachable areas of my '55 Ultra Vista Champion Sedan. Believe it or not, even after all the negative publicity about spray can propellants, they look to still be available after all that time. If you find a match to that interior color, let us know. Otherwise, a cool way to apply paint is still the Preval Sprayer:

Complete power spray unit, portable sprayer, ozone-friendly, sprays up to 16 oz of paint, varnishes, stains, latex, lacquers, acrylics, automotive paints, gel coats, fixatifs, lubricants, enamels, pesticides, metallics, solvents, epoxy coatings, primers & custom colors, large finger button eliminates finger fatique & frost, complete unit consists of 1 power unit & 1 product container with […]

Comment

I used 62-64 Jeep Jet Line Gray Poly,codes 227, 327, 341-but I also have my own mixing system

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies. I'll let everyone know what I finally decide on and what I find (and how the finished project comes out).

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
            Luke,
            I found a local auto parts store that will do that. I had them color match the re-spray yellow on my Sedan and they made up a can of spray paint for me. Many places will only do this if you buy a minimum number of cans, however, this place will do single cans and charged $22.00.
            The place I use is called Mac Auto Supply in McMinnville, Oregon. If you call them them they might know of a store in your area that will do the same. Their phone number is 1-503-472-5133.
            Good luck.
            Thanks, I will look into this, it may be my best option.

Originally posted by avantikid View Post
            I used 62-64 Jeep Jet Line Gray Poly,codes 227, 327, 341-but I also have my own mixing system
            To confirm - you used this color on a 55 (or earlier?) with trim that matched what I have? When I googled the color, it looked a little more green, but that was looking at old paint chips.

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
            Otherwise, a cool way to apply paint is still the Preval Sprayer:

https://www.truevalue.com/power-pain...79&cid=gooshop
            Thanks, I may try that with Avanti Kids color code if I can't find a good spray paint.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            In theory, that LOOKS like a very common Silver/Gray, but apparently not.

What would come very close would be the Eastwood Gray cast Aluminum spay cans. I have one, and have used it recently.
            Rich – I'm interested in what the Eastwook Gray looks like. I'll PM or call you, if your are around I'd like to check it out.

Comment

I believe the interior color in your '55 is called Mist Greige Metallic. Cooks # 8811 Baking Enamel. Studebaker code W-ZR. The mix shown in a service bulletin is Medium Non-Leafing Aluminum 95%, Carbon Black 5%.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                I believe the interior color in your '55 is called Mist Greige Metallic. Cooks # 8811 Baking Enamel. Studebaker code W-ZR. The mix shown in a service bulletin is Medium Non-Leafing Aluminum 95%, Carbon Black 5%.
                Thank you very much - this is exactly the information I was looking for. Could you scan and post a copy of the Service Bulletin with the paint mixing info, or at least let me know which Service Bulletin number it is?

Comment

Hope this helps, but not sure this old formula will mean anything today. Click on pic once or twice to enlarge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55.paint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1721190
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone on what I ended up doing. As Dwain assumed, the paint shops could not use the original Cooks codes (but thanks for service bulletin scan Dwain!).

I went to a local specialty automotive paint shop and looked at 100s of PPG gray paints, and the closest I found was Nissan Pebble Beach Pearl, Nissan paint code C43 (the paint is specified as Greige by PPG). I had them make me some up in a spray can. Below is the result, comparing the original shifter housing (on the left) vs. the NOS one I just painted on the right (ignore the wadding in the housing, I put that in as masking and haven't removed it yet). The new paint is a little darker, but I'm sure the original is somewhat faded after 64 years so over all I am pretty happy.

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X