Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1962 Lark will not move

President Member
    yeah, before I pulled the hubs, I would pull the housing cover and repeat the tests to see if the spider gears are turning.

also, are you sure still that the engine turns the driveshaft when in gear?

A piece of duct tape on the driveshaft to act as a flapper (flag) can let you know. you can also tie a piece of string around the driveshaft and leave it lying on the ground with a can on the other end.

once the driveshaft winds it all up, the can bangs around under the car. Noisy, but works.......LOL

Of course then you gotta go cut the string off the driveshaft once you're done.

President Member
    I would bet the spider gears are damaged / broken.

My 59 started life with a Dana 23. That's when I bought it. The rear spiders were already missing teeth, but we managed to coax it home 32 miles. (We pulled the rear cover, removed the chunks, and refilled with oil)

Then I installed a 63 Dana 27. The last day of my junior year, I thought it was a great idea to try to power brake in the HS parking lot. I managed to blow up that one.

Then I installed another from a 61.......Didn't get the center pin secured properly and it came out driving down the road and locked up the rear axle........

Then another with parts from all the rest....I reset the gears and bearings my self with no book or knowledge of how it should properly be set...........That one howled like an Oliver Tractor.

I just took that one out and installed a Dana 44 from a 64 (yes, had to rework the driveshaft), but no more issues!

I have the same brake drums on it from the beginning.....
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

President Member
    I have secured another 27 that spins freely. I will drain all the old oil out and refill it. What type of oil should I use? 90 weight gear lube, or regular motor oil?

The replacement is from a 53 Champion with overdrive. I will not be slamming the throttle down but will enjoy the better performance from the car and the overdrive.

Once I have to old axle out, tear down and find out what happened. As this happened before I got the car, detective work will try to figure out how what happened. I will let everyone know and again thanks for all your help.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different by Delight!

Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    I have secured another 27 that spins freely. I will drain all the old oil out and refill it. What type of oil should I use? 90 weight gear lube, or regular motor oil?

The replacement is from a 53 Champion with overdrive. I will not be slamming the throttle down but will enjoy the better performance from the car and the overdrive.

Once I have to old axle out, tear down and find out what happened. As this happened before I got the car, detective work will try to figure out how what happened. I will let everyone know and again thanks for all your help.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different by Delight!
    Noting your location, I would suggest you use a standard 90wt gear oil. Not just for the lube qualities in such a warm climate, but the chances that the higher viscosity will be less likely to find its way past seals & gaskets. Also, make sure to lube the outer bearings, since (unless I'm mistaken) they do not share their grease with the differential lube.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    One Caveat to all you are doing. It's all moot if it's a TT rear. They both turn together for a bit. Try this: Get both sides up and turn it again, In neutral and see what the driveshaft does....
    We really need a youtube video to help in the process. Don't just decide the rear is bad until you KNOW it's bad. Plus you may pull the cover and get a surprise!

President Member
    Ok will do as soon as work schedule allows. I am thinking tomorrow unless I get texted or called into work.

Bob Miles
    Spinning my wheels