1962 Lark will not move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1962 Lark will not move

I am slowing resurrecting a 1962 Lark Deluxe 4 door that originally sold new in Tucson. It has been through a few owners since I last saw it in 1995. At the time it ran great.

When I bought it, it was advertised as great running car. When it came back to Tucson, it would not start: found out why, no battery and no gas. Still working on that but when I put the car in gear to slightly move it, no action. The clutch has a firm action and I opened the hood and moved the levers on the column. Put it in gear but the car is in neutral in Reverse, First, Second, Third. Never had this problem with any standard shift Studebaker.

Where should I look? Don't have a shop manual now but have access to one. Also have several old Motor's around (somewhere).

Owner did offer before the sale to refund my money. He did mention that it would not move when in gear. If he took the money back he was going to part the car out. I did not what that to happen so I went through the sale. It is too good a car to part out.

Hope to get it running in time for the Pacific Southwest Zone meet in Palm Springs

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different by Delight!

I'm no expert, but I would start with checking the clutch disc. You mentioned that it had a firm feel, so it sounds like the pressure plate is alright. If you can access the cover on the flywheel, you could look for clutch 'debris'. Hope you figure it out.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Bob, is there a driveshaft?

Comment

That's my first thought too.............Since it would not move in gear, that would allow it to move no matter what gear it was in.
        Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        Bob, is there a driveshaft?
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          That's my first thought too.............Since it would not move in gear, that would allow it to move no matter what gear it was in.
          Well to be honest, I have not looked under the car. I should in the morning after I get off work. It there is no driveshaft, just another lie the PO told me about the car. I know the 63 models used a different u joint does that mean the shaft may be different? I will let you know.

Bob Miles
          Different by Design,
          Different by Delight!

Comment

A '62 should have Standard Spicer Type "U" Joints with Snap Ring retainers like many 60's Chev. Pickups, not the Mechanics Type, different Front & Rear, with the Split Ring retainers.
            Yes the Shafts and Yokes ARE different on '63's and possibly some early '64's.

My first thought was: does it have Overdrive?
            That opens lots of possibilities like; the O.D. Shift Lever jammed between IN and Out of O.D.

Shift Levers at Trans. or under the hood disconnected?

Is it a Lark Six or Eight?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Could you move the car in both directions? Or is it blocked? My Hawk was blocked forward when OD had been pushed (in) when I stopped the engine. (I had to move the car 10 inch back, then I could drive). After I changed the oil in the gearbox it was fine.
              Walter

80 Fiat Spider
              63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
              60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
              56 Golden Hawk
              56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
              68 Volvo P1800S
              56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

There is a small tab on the shift tube to select the upper or lower lever. if it is missing the shift lever is usless. also a missing axle key will wreak havoc. try manually putting trans in gear under the hood then bump starter. Luck Doofus

Comment

Ok after I got off work at 7am went to bed. Woke up and just looked under the car. There is a drive shaft. It is a 259 V8 with Overdrive. The overdrive lever on the dash is pulled all the way out and I cannot move it at all. I guess I will have to get it up in the air to check things out. I will manually move the shift rods to see if I get any movement by bumping the starter. The car did supposedly move just before I bought it.

I will keep you posted but in the meantime, keep the suggestions coming

Bob Miles
                  Different by Design
                  Different by Delight!

Comment

Do check the shift linkage, they are aluminum and get sloppy over time. I had a 62 gt that had a problem what you describe.

Comment

Went out this morning and moved the shift rods manually and also checked position with moving the column shifter with the clutch. Same reaction; car will not move bumping the starter or just running the starter. I guess I will have to get the car on jack stands and get under and see if the cable is broken on the overdrive and the lever is half way engaged. As I mention the overdrive cable is all the way out and I cannot move it back in.

Any other thoughts if that doesn't work?

Bob Miles
                      Different by Design
                      Different by Delight

Comment

The hub in the clutch disc broken, welded flange on the drive shaft broken, or the bolts holding the ring gear are sheared. I have also seen the sun gear break. Had to lock out the od to move.

Comment

What kind of noises, if any are coming from the tranny, R/A or rear wheels ? If you get it up on stands, then you could isolate where in the drive train your problem might be....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                            What kind of noises, if any are coming from the tranny, R/A or rear wheels ? If you get it up on stands, then you could isolate where in the drive train your problem might be....
                            That is the thing that puzzles me. Clutch in, nice and tight no noise. Going through the gears, no noise. Bumping or cranking, no noise. Car acts like it is in neutral with the clutch out and in gear. No noise at all.

Bob Miles
                            Different by Design
                            Different by Delight

Comment

I guess the next step will be to get it up on the jack stands and do an investigation. Will keep you posted.

Bob Miles
                              Different by Design
                              Different by Delight

Comment

Working...
                              X