Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In photos: World War II at sea

In photos: World War II at sea

A look at some powerful naval warfare pictures from World War II (1939-1945).

Don't forget to click "full size"

Enjoy,
    Bill

Great photos! We've all heard the term " back when men were men". The men involved in WWII, had to have been tough as nails. In todays times, I'm not sure that our nation could produce the same effort that it took to win that war. Not just the soldiers, it was the civilians effort also, with Studebaker adding to the cause.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Don't know how you find them Bill, but thanks because you do. Bob

Comment

Indeed, great pics!

First time I have seen the two man subs. I knew the Japanese had midget subs which were primarily human guided huge torpedos driven by kamakazis. They had a fair number of them but they did not do a lot of harm to us. They were not so easy to drive and the pilots feared coming back in the face of failure if they could not reach their target so they just grounded them and died "heros".
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

And again Bill, WOW!! Quite a collection of theirs and ours, I'm glad we prevailed. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
            Indeed, great pics!

First time I have seen the two man subs. I knew the Japanese had midget subs which were primarily human guided huge torpedoes driven by kamakazis. They had a fair number of them but they did not do a lot of harm to us. They were not so easy to drive and the pilots feared coming back in the face of failure if they could not reach their target so they just grounded them and died "heros".
            The Japanese used 2 man midget subs at Pearl Harbor. One ran aground and was recovered, taken to the US and used for War Bond drives. It's now at the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredrickburg TX, which was Admiral Chester Nimitz' (CINCPAC) home town.

The Kaiten Japanese human torpedoes made their appearance late in the war.

The British BB's pictured are battle cruisers taken during gunnery practice, probably in the North Sea near the Scapa Flow naval base. The furthest ship is the HMS Hood, sunk by the Bismarck in May 1941, the closest ship is the HMS Renown, which survived the war. The middle ship appears to be the HMS Repulse, sunk along with the battleship HMS Prince of Wales 10 December 1941 by Japanese aerial bombs and torpedoes.
            Last edited by WinM1895; 06-23-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X