Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tires, tires - who has the tires? 1951 - 2R5 pickup

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows which radial tire size is the same, or doggone close to a 6.50 x 16 bias ply tire?

"I was told" -----> 225-75/16 is the same.
    Fact, fiction, or urban truck legend.
    You be the judge(s).

Thanks for your help and for your replies

Mark in Ohio
    1951 2R5

I think that's what I've been using, but you still really need to use a tube, and there are many caveats to it.

Comment

If you're still using OEM rims..... go with the Tornel brand form Mexico. I think you can get them locally, or from Coker. About $120. each but make and look the truck.

Comment

If you "metricate" 6.50 X 16, you would get about 165-83R16. 6.50 is six and half inches casing width = 165 mm. "83" is the aspect ratio, meaning the height of the tire from bead to tread divided by the casing width. The lower this number, the lower and wider the tire looks. I don't think 83 series tires are made anymore, aside from the antique tire makers. 78 became the "standard" aspect ratio for a long time, and was the first one to be listed in tire sizes. Then 70 became the norm for a long time, and now things are getting quite ridiculous, with rubber-band tires on 20-inch rims.

I think 205-75R16 is likely going to be the tallest, most narrow tire you will be able to find in the normal retail market today.

jackb's suggestion bears looking into.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          I think 205-75R16 is likely going to be the tallest, most narrow tire you will be able to find in the normal retail market today.
          I've been running 215/85-16 Michelin truck tires on my E12 for many years now. They're a bit overkill for a 3R5.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I believe you can get a 235 85R 16 tire for a truck. It's a light truck tire, meaning at least 6 ply. Even with the high plys and load rating, you can decrease the air pressure from the max stated on the sidewall down to around 30 or 35 psi and still have it ride decent. I had 265 75R 16, 6 ply light truck tires on a 1/2 ton Ford and it rode fine with 35 PSI. When I towed a car trailer I would pump them up a little more.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
              I believe you can get a 235 85R 16 tire for a truck. It's a light truck tire, meaning at least 6 ply. Even with the high plys and load rating, you can decrease the air pressure from the max stated on the sidewall down to around 30 or 35 psi and still have it ride decent. I had 265 75R 16, 6 ply light truck tires on a 1/2 ton Ford and it rode fine with 35 PSI. When I towed a car trailer I would pump them up a little more.
              The 235/85-16 are the base tire for big Ford F250s on 8" wide wheels; way much too wide for the 3R5 16 narrow rims.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

So true, but if upgrading to radials, might as well upgrade the wheels too. I tried larger radials on my 66 Daytona using the original wheels with no problem, but when I upgraded to Ford Ranger wheels, using the same tires, the ride and handling improved greatly.
                Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                The 235/85-16 are the base tire for big Ford F250s on 8" wide wheels; way much too wide for the 3R5 16 narrow rims.

jack vines
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                  I think that's what I've been using, but you still really need to use a tube, and there are many caveats to it.
                  Do I dare ask... what are the caveats for using a 225/75R16 to replace a 6.50 x 16LT?

Thanks, Mark

Comment

Every now and again we have someone who's truck's steering gear is all worn out. I can't think of a better way to accomplish that end than to put on big fat radials..... You'll likely cruise down the highway fine with that big, under-inflated footprint, but unless on soft turf for the show..... get a set of dumb bells ...you're going to need them...and as above, if using stock rims.....check for lug cracks too.....

Comment

Does anyone have the spec book handy for the 3R5 16" rim width?

And yes, after installing the 215/85-16" radials, the truck drove infinitely better. However, as suggested, I quickly learned not to fight the steering wheel with the truck sitting still. Always park figuring it needs to be moving slightly to turn the steering wheel. Reefing on it with the truck at rest will ruin the steering gear in short order. But, JMHO, if one drives the truck much at all, radials are worth the compromises.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

My 3r6 uses 4 1/2 X 16 inch
                        Rob

Comment

That Coker tire thing sounds like a Winner if they outlast the CR4P they sell now.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Does anyone have the spec book handy for the 3R5 16" rim width?

And yes, after installing the 215/85-16" radials, the truck drove infinitely better. However, as suggested, I quickly learned not to fight the steering wheel with the truck sitting still. Always park figuring it needs to be moving slightly to turn the steering wheel. Reefing on it with the truck at rest will ruin the steering gear in short order. But, JMHO, if one drives the truck much at all, radials are worth the compromises.

jack vines

You said "3R5". Is that the same truck as a 2R5?

Thanks,
                            Mark

- - - Updated - - -
                            Last edited by mkibler; 06-28-2018, 05:37 AM. Reason: duplicated

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help on sizing radial tires to replace the 6.50 x 16 LT bias ply tires on my 2R5. I've narrowed it down to 205/85 R16 tires but their height is about 1" shorter and the width in over an inch wider.

I'm curious:

What size radials are YOU running on your 2R5 ?
                              How do those tires work for you ?

Thanks again for your help and your replies.

Mark in Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X