Carb Intake Fresh Air Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carb Intake Fresh Air Question

Ive seen this done a couple times, and I really like the idea of pulling in fresh, cooler air into the air filter, as seen here

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 11.09.34 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1758098

Image gallery for reference

I like the idea of getting air from the vent.

My question is: if I do this, does that mean that there is a strong gas smell in the cabin? I would think that you will get some of the carb gas smell coming back up that intake a bit. Especially if you happen to flood the carb or something.

Does anyone know if this is the case?
    Is there a way to reduce that smell? I know its not going to ever completely go away, but I dont want to have to hang my head out the window to breathe.

Cooler air is denser air ergo more 02 but would it even make a measureable difference? I seriously doubt it. There would be no reason for smell in pass compartment but who wants to further limit already marginal ventilation? Ram induction is another matter alltogether; that would help HP a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Jeffery-

So that means that the air inside the engine bay is not significantly hotter than the air in those vents to make a difference?

Comment

Chances are that the vents no longer go into the cabin. Most likely has aftermarket A/C & heater for creature comforts.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I did that very thing when I had my 69 Barracuda. Now my 62 Champ auto has the beginnings of one from the right fender apron. All I need to finish it is some flex tubing to connect to the stock air cleaner. Fumes into the interior? How when the engine is running there is vacuum. You would have more fumes from bad grommets (or missing ones) and other "holes" (rust, ect) from the engine already.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

FWIW, Studebaker V8s, especially R1s, love cold air intakes. Easiest, best way is to go to a U-Pik yard and find a carbureted car with the housing and flexible hose. Last one I built came from a '70s Cadillac. Route the hose up in front of the radiator core support.

I like the idea of getting air from the vent.
            No, never, noway, nohow! From experience, never draw intake air from a duct which communicates with the passenger compartment. The resultant noise can be unbearable. (Some Asian cars have a small tube with a flapper valve which opens at full throttle and connects the intake with the passenger compartment. It's supposed to make the driver think he's hearing the sound of power without making the exhaust louder in countries which have strict noise standards.)

In 1969, the Camaro Z28 had this option. A friend bought one and I helped him install it. Even speed-crazed young guys soon found this a nasty noise. It got removed the next day and only reinstalled for the drag strip.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

If you REALLY wanted to do the Cabin Air Duct to Carb. Mod on a '59-'60 Lark or Champ Truck similar to Post #1.
              I could see it working better if you could tap off the Carb. Air AHEAD of the Cabin Air Flapper on the Left Side only, so as not to affect a Stock Heater and allow (with a Fresh Seal} the option of shutting it OFF to the Cabin.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ah, I didnt think about the noise. Good point.

So really, I should grab air from in front of the radiator, independent of the cabin vents. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                X