No announcement yet.

Modern/New Two barrel Carb, on early 60's Stude V8 , vs going 4bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Modern/New Two barrel Carb, on early 60's Stude V8 , vs going 4bbl

If one wants to toss the original old 2bbl, ARE THERE Decent performing new 2 bbls carbs now, that allow for some performance , Yet get better fuel economy than a 4 bbl carb???? any suggestions---- the New 2 bbl would have to fit on an early 60's 2 Hole studebaker intake manifold......OR ..... do you have to go 4 bbl ??

The new Edelbrock/AFB four barrel carburetors can be made to run with very good economy. A range of replacement jets, metering rods and metering rod spring sets are readily available. You can change these parts fairly easily, especially the metering rods, to get where you want to be.
    I have gotten pretty impressive gas mileage with these carbs, but I don’t have a heavy right foot, either.

Comment

Originally posted by 63looks59 View Post
      If one wants to toss the original old 2bbl, ARE THERE Decent performing new 2 bbls carbs now, that allow for some performance , Yet get better fuel economy than a 4 bbl carb???? any suggestions---- the New 2 bbl would have to fit on an early 60's 2 Hole studebaker intake manifold......OR ..... do you have to go 4 bbl ??
      Short answer, yes, no. maybe.

It's the driver, not the carburetor. There is no real difference in economy between a 2-bbl and a 4-bbl. The secondary two barrels only open if the throttle is held to the floor for a considerable time.

Yes, there are new production Chicom Rochester-clone 2-bbls which can bolt directly on to the Studebaker 2-bbl intake. There's another thread discussing this.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

tbanks Gents--- I figured as much ---thank U

Comment

Ref post#2. what jet/rod combination have you found producing the best fuel mileage on a 289? I am using an AFB from a Buick 300c.i. I have no idea which jets/rods are in it now. Back in the '70s I changed them every couple of weeks I have my records somewhere but I have no idea where.-Jim

Comment

FWIW, after fifty+plus years of trying, I no longer even attempt carburetor tuning without a wideband O2 meter. It wasn't until I began using an O2 meter that I learned how much I didn't know about carbs.

That, plus today's pump fuel no longer colors spark plug insulators and tailpipes in the way we learned using them to read mixture.

Bottom line, if one is serious about getting it right for performance or best fuel economy, try an O2 meter.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack. I am curious as to which sensor setup you use. I found this one, that uses your smart phone for a display, which cuts the cost some. Also wonder if you have to run dual sensors, for dual pipes. https://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-M...nsor+kit&psc=1
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

My local mechanic has about 45 years experience, and he swears by the new Summit carbs. He says he will no longer rebuild carbs - "if your carb needs rebuilding, I will install one of these, or you can take it somewhere else." He has installed several of them, they run perfectly right out of the box, and so far no problems. All this is hearsay, but it comes from a guy I trust. Just thought I would pass this on for what it is worth.

Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                  Thanks Jack. I am curious as to which sensor setup you use. I found this one, that uses your smart phone for a display, which cuts the cost some. Also wonder if you have to run dual sensors, for dual pipes. https://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-M...nsor+kit&psc=1
                  I use the Innovate system and found it reliable, if somewhat large and clunky.

The Bluetooth idea would solve that problem, but the reviews indicate it brings it's own problems.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Hard to beat an Edelbrock 1403, on a 289...

Comment

48skyliner, I too have had nothing but flawless experience with the carb now called a Summit. ( it was also a Holley for a period of time) This carb is a decendant from the old Autolites and is just absolutely trouble free. I put one on my Tiger, Pantera, and an A Model hot rod with a C code 289 that I put a 4 barrel manifold on. I have recommended them to folks and the guys that got them love them too. Not a race carb, but I actually did that too on an old 289 hipo motor I had put in a Ranchero.

Comment

I know Edelbrock has a fuel rod chart , you can go by---- and upgrade the fuel rods beyond what comes w/ stock--- those tend to be lean

Comment

Paul (and other dissatisfied Studebaker owners)

Preface by saying this is not a blow-back against the idea of altering from original. It's an attempt to understand the mindset behind the swap. What are the reasons that you would want to make the change, and what do you hope to accomplish? My guess is since you are choosing to stick with a two barrel carb. your ultimate goal is not performance. Is it perceived efficiency or reliability? Am I missing something that should make me want to alter the five cars that have stock Stromberg WW's affixed?

Comment

Some folks repair the equipment and some folks modify the equipment. If someone has a "modify mindset" then modify is the first thing that comes to mind and they usually cannot be convinced to repair.

Likewise, some folks modify the machine to fit their behavior, while other folks adjust their behavior to fit the machine.

It's generally really tough to get someone to switch their mindset.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

A 4bbl acts as a 2bbl until you push the pedal down far enough to activate the mechanical secondaries or when the engine pulls the secondaries open with vacuum from the engine which is also directly related to how far you have the pedal push to the floor.

In my opinion if you want fuel economy get a properly sized carb 2bbl or 4bbl and a wideband O2 sensor. Next step, play with the jetting till you get a Air/Fuel ratio that won’t damage your engine and check that AFR throughout your RPM range.

I personally am looking for the same thing as you erring on the side of performance. I bought a Holley 390 cfm to put in my 259. I’ll tune it with a wideband. Plans I’m putting into action end of the work season this fall/winter.
                              Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Working...
                              X