Thread: 1966 Datona Sports Sedan with 23,394 original is now live on bringatrailer.com no reserve!

Commander Member

1966 Datona Sports Sedan with 23,394 original is now live on bringatrailer.com no reserve!

datona 1.jpgSold new by Bemidji, Minnesota dealer. Manufactured Jan 11th, 66. Only 805 V-8 cars were built after this one. Midnight black enamel with black vinyl top in mint condittion and red interior. 283 engine and automatic. New transmission, brakes, radiator, motor mounts, carpets, tune up, belts, hoses, fluids, monroematic shocks. Has original window sticker, sales contract, owner and vehicle ID cards, accessory booklet, service notices, owners manual, stp card, 1980 Oregon reg. in original owner's name, etc.

Please check it out. It is a no reserve auction so surely must be worth something to one of you. I posted it this morning and it will be live until a week from today. Any questions, etc. there is a comment section on the auction or I think you can email me direct. thanks to everyone.

Golden Hawk Member
    A link to the sale would be a big help.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Commander Member
    I'm not computer savy enough to know how to link it. It is bringatrailer.com and the lot number is 10414. it is the only studebaker listed currently so if you do a search in the search window it's going to come up as well. Maybe someone here knows how to insert to link in order that someone can click on it. thanks.

Commander Member
    thank you Avanti Hawk. I'll have to get one of the kids to teach me that trick. Bringatrailer.com is a great website in that an ad on there looks more like an article in a magazine than a normal ad. Our car looks fantastic on there and I hope people see it there.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    An unusually nice car, to be sure. ('Could use a battery hold-down, of course; that's an awfully nice engine compartment to be sprayed with battery acid if the battery falls into the fan on a hard left turn!)

What's the explanation for the original window sticker specifying Overdrive transmission when the car has Flightomatic?

Again, a nice car all around; 'hard to imagine a better one extant. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    What's the explanation for the original window sticker specifying Overdrive transmission when the car has Flightomatic?
    BP
    In the write up it mentions that the automatic was put in before initial delivery. Relative had an all original '66 that had the lazy S embossed on the heel pads - was that limited to a certain time of production?

President Member
    That transmission change would have been a big deal at the factory wouldn't it? Seems odd.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 62champ View Post
    In the write up it mentions that the automatic was put in before initial delivery.
    Bob, you and I were there and can remember dealers couldn't give away the orphan '66 Studes. If a customer walked in and said, "I'd buy that one if it were an automatic," the dealer might have made it happen.

So, 'before delivery' could have been anywhere along the way here in the US. In the '56J world, we're all familiar with the "My uncle bought a GH new and it came with the two-fours." Maybe, but the dealer installed them.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    I'd think for a dealer to convert from a 3-speed to an automatic, that late in the game when the dealers were often little more than gas stations (although I don't know anything about this dealer)--I'm skeptical. I'd be much-more likely to buy that a dealer would call other dealers around for a car like the customer was looking for.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Quote Originally Posted by 62champ View Post
    In the write up it mentions that the automatic was put in before initial delivery. Relative had an all original '66 that had the lazy S embossed on the heel pads - was that limited to a certain time of production?
    Yes the heal Pads with the "S" were Late 1966 Production, also Chromed Tail Light Rims on Cruiser and possibly Daytona, and "Improved" Carpet "Sill Plates" wide enough to actually keep the water off of the Carpet.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Yes the heal Pads with the "S" were Late 1966 Production, also Chromed Tail Light Rims on Cruiser and possibly Daytona, and "Improved" Carpet "Sill Plates" wide enough to actually keep the water off of the Carpet.
    The wider sill plates came out a couple of weeks after the all-chrome Refreshaire vents were announced: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=refreshaire

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=ac-4002

Craig

It's a shame it was changed from overdrive to automatic. I would think a 66 Daytona with overdrive would be rarer than one with automatic.

With only 23,000 Miles, that Flight-O-Matic should have had at least another 125,000 Miles to go before overhaul, so it must have met a really BAD accident of some kind like NO OIL!

It's a VERY beautiful Daytona, the only bad feature I can see, is those quite wrinkled up Door Panels from LOTS of water inside the Doors.

Quote Originally Posted by joncon View Post
    It's a shame it was changed from overdrive to automatic. I would think a 66 Daytona with overdrive would be rarer than one with automatic.
    AND, MUCH more desirable!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    I'd think for a dealer to convert from a 3-speed to an automatic, that late in the game when the dealers were often little more than gas stations (although I don't know anything about this dealer)--I'm skeptical. I'd be much-more likely to buy that a dealer would call other dealers around for a car like the customer was looking for.
    Bill - The Serial Number on the window sticker (OD) wouldn't have matched that on the (AT) car if it was a dealer swap.
    Also, not all dealerships were small, like in a gas station, at that time. I shopped for a 1966 Daytona Sports Sedan early in 1966 at Pitcher Motors in Poughkeepsie, NY. They were a sizable Studebaker and Mercedes-Benz dealership. Poughkeepsie was a city, but not large as far as US cities go. Their last Daytona Sports Sedan was sold and delivered the same day that I went there. I even saw it on the street later that evening.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    An unusually nice car, to be sure. ('Could use a battery hold-down, of course; that's an awfully nice engine compartment to be sprayed with battery acid if the battery falls into the fan on a hard left turn!)

Again, a nice car all around; 'hard to imagine a better one extant. BP
    As well as missing the hold down, it also appears to have the incorrect Group battery. It appears to be a 24F and not the correct 24 or 24C.

I like the car. The main thing that I would change is to get rid of that incorrect front plate that calls the sedan a "sport coupe".
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    As well as missing the hold down, it also appears to have the incorrect Group battery. It appears to be a 24F and not the correct 24 or 24C.

I like the car. The main thing that I would change is to get rid of that incorrect front plate that calls the sedan a "sport coupe".
    Gary, Ford sold a 1966-67 Falcon two-door Sport Coupe with a vinyl roof, so it wasn't just Studebaker advertising speak.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Gary, Ford sold a 1966-67 Falcon two-door Sport Coupe with a vinyl roof, so it wasn't just Studebaker advertising speak.

jack vines
    Yes, but Studebaker called the model in question a Sports Sedan, not a Sport Coupe as on the plate on the front.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Looking at the comments on the BAT listing, it appears whoever swapped the OD out for an automatic, left the OD rear end in place. A 3.73, which is what is still in it, is an OD rear end. An automatic rear end woulda been a 3.31 or 3.07. Not very streetable, as is.

Commander Member
    The original owner picked the car out at the Hamilton plant after traveling there with the dealer.....the story goes. I'm thinking that the car was converted there, before it was shipped to the dealership. I've seen pictures of car haulers carrying loads of Studebakers across the border. Old John Kerr may have sold a lot of cars (I google earthed the dealerships address and there are no buildings there anymore just a big parking lot) and bought them from Hamilton by the truck load. If that was true the factory could conceivably done the job...the dealership sure could have as well. You can look at the car and of course there is no way to tell being that Studebakers were made so that you can unbolt the stick stuff and bolt in the auto.....no modifications. Just a fun fact but the six cyl. motor mounts work for the v-8 (with Studebaker engines) if you switch left to right.
    I want to thank all of you. The club, this forum and the "66 Sport Sedan registry" have been a great help.
    As far as the ratio goes, the car drives great....I wouldn't change it. Probably quicker of the line than some automatics but it isn't working hard at highway speed at all. Gas milage might be improved with some other gears though.

Commander Member
    Something else about this Sport Sedan, the registry of them says that "all had white headliners" ...obviously this one is red. Has anyone seen another car with a red headliner?

Wrinkles on Daytona Door Panels

It's a VERY beautiful Daytona, the only bad feature I can see, is those quite wrinkled up Door Panels from LOTS of water inside the Doors.
    Could it be that wrinkles on the front and rear door panels are supposed to be that way for a padded look? There are no rear doors so if the wrinkles are from water damage the water would have gotten into the rear quarter area as well as the doors -- if so wouldn't the doors and quarters be rusted out? The wrinkles appear to cover the entire panel on all four. Maybe a running change like the wider door sills on late cars? That said -- very pretty car -- if it was a manual shift I would be interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bjackameit; Yesterday at 07:29 AM.
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjackameit View Post
    There are no rear doors so if the wrinkles are from water damage the water would have gotten into the rear quarter area as well as the doors -- if so wouldn't the doors and quarters be rusted out?
    The F-body has opening windows in the rear seat area, so water would get into there the same as the front door windows. If the drains clog up, water sits in there and the moisture is what StudeRich is talking about I believe. But......your point is well taken, if this had been an issue over a long period you would expect some rust.

Love that '66 upholstery!! They make an extra effort to make the interiors luxurious on the '66 cars, and I think they succeeded (on the seats at least).
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

With the red interior the rugs would have originally been red as well with the S in the heelpad , also the door panels lower half should be red as well . For a car with that low of miles there seems to be a lot of changes .

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

President Member
    The shop book doesn't mention headliners, but I thought the only 2 colors were grey and champagne for '66???

Commander Member
    As far as having the transmission rebuilt with the low 23,000+ miles....when a car sits, it can wind up with pitting on surfaces that ride in a bearing or seal and yuu can have problems. Having just rebuilt a 400 turbo in a low mile car that had been sitting two months ago I learned that. The rear shaft on the turbo pitted and took out the plastic gear (twice) leaving me without enough pressure to shift out of low gear. Don't know if that is a similar situation here.

President Member
    Did you notice the deteriorated lower A arm bushings & the amount of old dirty grease on the king pins?

Can anyone make out what the body number is ? Probably something near 6800?
    Last edited by Mike Sal; Yesterday at 11:37 AM.

Commander Member
    @Mike Sal, Have you seen a grey headliner in a Sport Sedan? This one being red is "correct" for this particular car...being a unrestored, 23,000 original mile car we know that the interior is all original except for the carpets. One might wonder how many variations may have been done in the final weeks of production.

Commander Member
    Vin is C533749. Built 01/11/66 body #7144
    Last edited by doublefeature56; Yesterday at 01:27 PM.

President Member
    I'm not well versed in Daytonas. How many color options of interior were there for them in '66?

I dunno why anyone would put a Stude up for sale, then offer a link here. All it does is bring skeptics, naysayers and, "experts" out of the woodwork. I see enough truth-teller pix in the listing to convince me, beyond a doubt, the mileage is real. Also, it must have been kept in a time capsule to have been so well preserved. I see absolutely no evidence of it ever being exposed to the elements, i.e. water damage. Instead, I see a pristine floorboard, under dash, wiring harness, etc.

The 3.73 rear end is an example of how Studebaker Corp and/or a Dealership, in its death throws, was willing to do a half as--d transmission conversion in order to complete a sale. They obviously were not concerned with complaints later, so they left the OD rear end in place. The 3.73 may well be why the car was driven so little. It may be OK for an Avanti, but for a road car it is comparable to driving around in 2nd gear. If I could afford this car, I would not drive it around the block without installing a 3.07 in it (for about a 20 percent gear reduction).

Despite the goofy 3.73, I'd be willing to bet this car is legit, per the ad.
    Last edited by JoeHall; Yesterday at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    The 3.73 rear end is an example of how Studebaker Corp and/or a Dealership, in its death throws, was willing to do a half as--d transmission conversion in order to complete a sale. They obviously were not concerned with complaints later, so they left the OD rear end in place. The 3.73 may well be why the car was driven so little.
    I think this might have been true on my Uncle's former '66 Cruiser. He bought it in the early 70s with less than 30K miles on the odometer - drove it for a few years and then parked it with 60K on it. It was geared so low, mileage was around 9 or 10 mpg and he said it was pretty wound up at 60 mph. It would outrun just about everything in the first 200 ft and then max out at about 80 or so. Right before he sold it to its 3rd owner, I crawled under it to see what the ratio tag had on it - no tag anywhere under a bolts on the cover. Turning the driveshaft, we calculated that it was probably a 4.09 rear. Third owner restored it and drove for about six or seven years and sold it to a fellow SDC member in College Station, Texas. After about a week, he pulled the rear end out and put in a 3.07 or 3.31...

Golden Hawk Member
    I like the car. I do not pay attention to indicated mileage on a car of this age. I go by the excellent condition of this car. I will no longer be bidding due to the cost to ship it (enclosed) across the country and the buyer's premium. eBay does not charge the buyers a fee, but BaT does.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Commander Member
    Yeah Joe, I want anyone who knows and likes Studebakers to be aware of the car and the no reserve auction. People will like it for one reason or dislike it for another but I don't think you can say it isn't a nice car or doesn't have value. I am the "seller" on bringatrailer and don't mind dealing with whatever comes up. the car is absolutely going to sell this coming thursday. I'm selling it for the owner (since 2013) and he's out of town until tuesday when I'll be talking to him again. To me, there is little sign of any moisture...if you look at the picture pf the bottom side of the glovebox, there seems to be a tiny stain. I know, also that the driver side windshild wiper cork gasket needs replacing...
    The carpets were replaced as in the ad but I don't know if they were originally red. I had a 62 Datona with red interior and had red carpets. I'll find out Tues. I know that the door panels are original with the black carpet as is the red headliner.
    As of today, it's bid to $4100. If you know someone looking for a really beautiful car this one is selling this week. thank you for spreading the word