Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lark production statistics for specific configurations available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark production statistics for specific configurations available?

Hi,
    I've recently purchased a 1960 Lark 2-Door Sedan with a V8 and 3 speed with overdrive. It came from the factory with the deluxe package and the original exterior color was Sandalwood Beige (it's now white with a red interior). My reproduced build sheet indicates it was built in 1959 and I believe it to be an early production 1960. The engine number indicates it is correct for the 59-60 Larks according to the research I've done and I believe it, the transmission, and rear diff, to be original to the car.

My questions: is there any way to know how many cars were produced with this engine/transmission/option/color configuration? The production figures for 2-Door Sedans (F4 Body) in 1960 indicate about 8000 produced. Second question: is there any source where this information is stored (build sheets at the museum?) and could a further analysis of the data be done? Last question: are there other members also interested in this type of information?

Thanks for the help.

The Production Orders are available to order from the Studebaker Museum in South Bed. <www.studebakermuseum.org/store/studebaker-production-orders>
    Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
    55 Commander Conestoga
    60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
    59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
    62 Champ 7E7, A/T
    49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

The answer to your question is NO. There is no way to make that determination since no records were kept on production with the specific accessory/option/color combinations.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Shoppers, please note that there is a StudeNewby doppelganger. Thank you for shopping at The Forum
        Last edited by StudeNewby; 07-06-2018, 10:36 AM.
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The Corporation kept some statistical information on what cars/trucks were produced, but in the days before a computer on every desk, it would have pretty labor intensive to keep such detailed records that you are looking for. To do it now, a group of people would have to go through all 128,000 production records for 1960 and break all that information down. It has been done before, but on numbers of vehicles with much smaller amounts.

If you haven't already, please add your information to the '60 Lark registry here on the forum. Good luck.

Comment

you could figure out pretty closely with what info is available and some estimation along the way. 1st. How many two doors, 2nd. how many colors were available. 3rd. possible interior in that color car (normally the color, white, black, but not red with a blue car or the like), 4. If you want to separate further you could auto/standard, v-8/6 etc.

You will probably come to a realization that your car is pretty rare. The 66 Sport Sedan, one of 805 built is one of 54 known to exist (there is a registry specific to the yr/model) of which only 2 are black. Ours, has the optional black vinyl top, red interior, v-8, auto, and we are already past one of a kind I think. The isn't a Studebaker year or model that is so common as to likely see two identical cars more than 50 years after production ended would be my guess.

Comment

I have a number of 32,707 1960 two door sedans, not "about 8000".

Yes, the information exists and if you want to pay for MANY hours of research, the answer can be obtained (but to what end?).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studegary, thanks for the reply. I believe the total production of 60S+60V F4 body style is 32,707. 24,605 for the 60S and 8,102 for the 60V. So 32,707 for the total. In my original post I mentioned my car was a V8, probably should have said it was a 60V. My question was around trying to determine how many of the 8,102 60V's produced had a the 3 speed overdrive, deluxe trim and paint (Sandalwood Beige).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi 62champ, yes it is in the registry already. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

Comment

62champ, If I am thinking about this correctly, (testing my logic here), could I only look at the 8,102 build sheets for the 60V F4 sedans and sort those into 1. 3speed/auto and then 2. exterior color and then 3. interior package? Do they let people do this at the Museum?

Comment

You COULD do that, but the 8,102 60V 2 doors are not available as a group until you sort through ALL 128,000 including Hawks, to find them!
                    And THAT may not be the Total # of 1960 Studebaker Six & Eight Cylinder Cars built!
                    That is because they are filed by Serial Number.

AND the SNM charges by the Hour to let you research the P.O.'s, count on a Month or MORE!

You might also like to know that the Lark VIII in an F Body, was not available for the public in '59 and not all of the production run in 1960 either, the thinking was that in the cheapest, lightest model the buyers would be conservative "economy minded buyers" who would prefer the SIX!

Not entirely the case, my Dad sold a few V8 2 Door Sedans, and had one as his Demo for a Month or so.
                    It was a straight Stick no O.D. no Radio Williamsburg Green (Dark), Standard Hub Caps and Blackwall Firestones.

About the only option was the Deluxe Trim package that his Sales Manager always ordered, just Windshield and Rear Glass Stainless Mouldings.

Regal Interiors were not available, only the Padded Dash and Deluxe (horn Ring) Steering wheel.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-06-2018, 08:30 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich, Thank you for the explanation. I was not aware of how SNM keeps the records. From the build sheet I obtained from SNM my car was ordered on 8/24/59 and had final assembly on 8/28/59. There is nothing mentioned about O.D. on the sheet. So I assume it did not come with O.D. However, there is a toggle switch where the O.D. switch should be and an O.D. unit in the car. It does not work however, but I didn't realize those could be added. It has a non-padded dash and no horn ring. Body number is 240 and the engine number on the sheet matches the one in the car. Thank you again for the information.

Comment

Working...
                      X