Avanti coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Avanti coil springs

I just had a pair of Eaton MC 3653 coil springs manufactured to replace my SI coils. With them installed, the body is now almost 2" lower so the original Avanti rake has been restored (I had previously cut out the wheel well inserts). And, the car now handles wonderfully too (no more wash boarding over Interstate ridges)... although I must admit I also stiffened up the rear Koni shocks. Eaton sized the coils for a 66 Avanti with a 300 pound lighter front end. With shipping, the total cost was $263. Hope this helps anyone else in my predicament.

Thank you. The title of the post should also let's those in the future find your data. Well done!

Bob

Comment

I expect the springs referred to in this thread are equivalent to CC653's. I have a set of CC655's on my Avanti R-2 and like the results. My question is: has anyone installed the CC661's on a Studebaker and in particular an Avanti? I ask because I have a set on my shelf and I am not sure if I should keep them for "down the road" or let them go to make room for various and sundry other Stude stuff... Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNorm View Post
        I expect the springs referred to in this thread are equivalent to CC653's. I have a set of CC655's on my Avanti R-2 and like the results. My question is: has anyone installed the CC661's on a Studebaker and in particular an Avanti? I ask because I have a set on my shelf and I am not sure if I should keep them for "down the road" or let them go to make room for various and sundry other Stude stuff... Thanks.
        Much past discussion about these springs, but I do not recall seeing a picture showing the stance of the Studebaker Avanti with the CC655 springs installed. I have seen a Lark VIII with them and that car looks good. I am also curious about the CC661s on the Avanti. Anyone have photos to share, with either of these spring sets?

Comment

The Moog CC661 Spring as far as I know has NEVER been discussed or recommended here for any Studebaker.
          Do you know what Car it is designed for?

People have been using the CC665 Cargo (H.D.) Spring for the Rear of Oldsmobile/Buick, but they are discontinued by Moog.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Moog CC661has been suggested a few times in SDC's Turning Wheels as an alternative to CC655, which people are having a tough time finding because Moog no longer makes it. I do not recall the original application for the CC661. I think it is about an inch shorter than the CC655.

Comment

I will say that I have sold a few sets of the yet available CC653, known to be slightly more beefy than a CC655. They have been installed on the heavier Studebakers, such as a V-8 automatic power steering sliding roof wagon, and a V-8 automatic air conditioned power steering Lark hardtop. In these cases, the owners thought the resulting stance was just what they were hoping for. They liked the ride, too.

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeB;1114298] because Moog no longer makes it.

Just because MOOG no longer makes that particular spring doesn't mean that no other manufacturer makes it.
                Oreilly Auto Parts. $99 bucks. available in 2 days from where ever they ship from.
                The last 2 orders I received came from:
                Precision Coil Springs. Their Part number PRE-SP08055 on a yellow and white company sticker.
                On that company sticker under their part number was part #MOO-CC655.
                The yellow and white Precision company sticker was glued over a blue MOOG sticker, with part number CC655
                [I just called to verify price and availability. They ship from LA.]
                Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 06-15-2018, 05:01 PM.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170701_132041_hdr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	1721091Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161230_195413.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1721092The Avanti has CC655 front springs and a single overload leaf added to the rear. The picture of the springs has original but weak standard duty on the left and new, never installed CC661's on the right.

Comment

In 1967 the Studebaker dealer installed a set of HD front springs in my Avanti, thinking ahead, I also had them put in a 1/2 steel spacer under the front springs..........still looks great after all these years.
                    About 20 years ago I went to a local spring shop who did mostly heavy truck springs......they made up a set of HD rear (5 leaf) springs for me...the car still sits up in the rear beautifully:-)

Comment

Working...
                    X