Thread: How brave are you, how deep are your pockets, how loving is your wife???

President Member

How brave are you, how deep are your pockets, how loving is your wife???

So how does an Avanti with serial number R4779 become a 1964 model? Just like the turquoise one that was on eBay about two weeks ago --- someone went to a lot of trouble to make another '63 into a square headlight model.

Tom

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    I like how they flipped the car over and took pictures of the undercarriage.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlewis View Post
    So how does an Avanti with serial number R4779 become a 1964 model? Just like the turquoise one that was on eBay about two weeks ago --- someone went to a lot of trouble to make another '63 into a square headlight model.

Tom
    Quite easy. Per Studebaker Service Letter G-1964-3, dated Sept. 27, 1963, "...effective September 1, 1963...all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail... will carry the registration year designation of 1964." Since the car in question wasn't built until July 1963, during the transition period, it likely wasn't sold new until it could become a 1964.

For the other part, square headlight replacement panels, for accident damage, were available when round headlight panels were not available.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-14-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot to close quotes and separated two items
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

This one is CADILLAC powered!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

"No attempt will be made to start it and we do not know what it needs to get running".-------------Spark plug wires would be a good start!

Is there any chance this could be the Avanti converted to Cadillac power by the Granatellis back in the '60s?
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

President Member
    The front license plate is on upside down. That kills it for me. More work than I want to get into.

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Is there any chance this could be the Avanti converted to Cadillac power by the Granatellis back in the '60s?
    Pretty sure that the Granatelli car is currently undergoing restoration,and is close to being completed.Also think the Granatelli car had a period (64-67) Cadillac 429 in it.
    Last edited by Avanti Fanatic; 06-14-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Speedster Member
    "How brave are you" is right, you'd be traveling to a 3rd world country (LA. Ca) to get it.

President Member
    I always thought the Granatelli conversion was a Big Block Oldsmobile (425/455cid).
    Please confirm.
    Bill

Silver Hawk Member
    Judy said she was OK with the 74 when we dragged it home so I think she'd be fine with this one. A lot less work as the underside of this one as it looks in good nick. I'll bet this one doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, mold and mothballs like the 74 did also.

IMGP0727.jpg IMGP0743.jpg

Just not enough time anymore. Bob
    , ,

I'm not that brave. My pockets are shallow, ( after my Hawk build). And my wife is not very loving, ( at least not when it comes to cars). I think it would be a fun project though, for someone brave, with deep pockets, and a loving wife!

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    I always thought the Granatelli conversion was a Big Block Oldsmobile (425/455cid).
    Please confirm. Bill
    Hi, Bill,

Different cars. The Olds 425" was also a SoCal car, featured in the Hot Rod Magazine Engine Swapping Annual.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Please confirm.
    Bill
    http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/autos...resurfaces/#/0

President Member
    Haven't we discussed this car (or at least an Avanti with those wheels) before?

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Hi, Bill,

Different cars. The Olds 425" was also a SoCal car, featured in the Hot Rod Magazine Engine Swapping Annual.

jack vines
    Jack,as I recall,I have seen a picture of that engine transplant,and an R-4 engine came out of that Avanti before the Olds 425 went it.Love to know the back-story on how the R-4 ended up in the Avanti initially....

Silver Hawk Member
    If you're wondering what he's expecting on the final sale end of the bidding from ebay, this car just showed up on craigslist in Los Angeles for $8000.
    Good luck on the low ball bidding.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...617145304.html
    sals54

President Member
    To A Fan. The car in the article was R3786 belonging to Bob Patton, who lived at the time in Burbank and was the President of the local chapter of the AOIA. He worked as a camera man for Disney and did car comercials on the side. He was good friends with Ray Cash. Bob didn't like the power of the R1 4 speed and Cash built and installed the R4 in his Burbank shop. By the time of the article in the Peterson's Engine Swapping Manuel, Cash was working at Herbert and Meeks, that is where the Old's swap was done.

That's a great looking Avanti to me. I haven't seen a rust free original chassis like that in decades. If it were in Canada at $9000 Canadian dollars I'd be on my way to look at it!

Silver Hawk Member
    Full documentation, except we won't tell you anything about it.

Still, if one needed a fun project, that's a heckuva good starting point for $8K. Just imagine how well an Avanti won't hook with 550 lbs/ft of torque.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To A Fan. The car in the article was R3786 belonging to Bob Patton, who lived at the time in Burbank and was the President of the local chapter of the AOIA. He worked as a camera man for Disney and did car comercials on the side. He was good friends with Ray Cash. Bob didn't like the power of the R1 4 speed and Cash built and installed the R4 in his Burbank shop. By the time of the article in the Peterson's Engine Swapping Manuel, Cash was working at Herbert and Meeks, that is where the Old's swap was done.
    Thanks,Alan-always wondered what the story was with that car!

Just think, if you bought it now you could have it ready for the International meet in Tacoma.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

President Member
    Sold for $7,490 to the guy that built the 472 Avanti for Andy Granatelli.

Best Regards,

Dennis Goddard

Dennis Buys Classic Cars and Motorcycles
    8931 Venice Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA. 90034

Silver Hawk Member
    He's senior member and a regular contributor; along soon with photos and clarification of the above. Turns out, much of what is out there/on here about the Granatelli Avanti/Cadillac is incorrect or only partially correct.

jack vines
    PackardV8