57 Commander hood alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 57 Commander hood alignment

My hood is close to the left fender at the front with a gap at the passenger side of the cowl. What do I loosen to make the adjustment ? These two bolts on each side?Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1758056Click image for larger version

ID:	1758056Click image for larger version

ID:	1758056

There are actually three bolts if you look closely. To adjust what you describe, only loosen the bolts for the passenger side hinge and tap it slightly to the rear of the car. Tighten and try.

Comment

Yes, I noticed the third bolt. Thanks Ross.

Comment

The proper sequence for aligning a hood is to adjust the gap at the cowl and then adjust the fenders to the hood.
        Sounds like yours is just to far forward on the passenger side. Those bolts would be on the edge of the hood, not at the firewall and hinge as pictured.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

What bolts on the edge of the hood? What edge? There are two vertical parts of the hinge that the hood bolts to, two on each side. Ross’s suggestion makes sense.

Comment

Sorry, not edge, but bottom of hood bracket at top of hinge, but not the bolts on the lower part of the hinge as pictured. Those will adjust the back edge of the hood up and down at the cowl. Sorry for the confusion.
            Originally posted by tim333 View Post
            What bolts on the edge of the hood? What edge? There are two vertical parts of the hinge that the hood bolts to, two on each side. Ross’s suggestion makes sense.
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

These bolt holes are not slotted so I don’t see how the hood can be moved.Click image for larger version

Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1721078Don’t know why pic is sideways, left side is the top.

Comment

OK, from this picture I can see there are horizontal slots in the hinge bracket for forward/backward adjustment and from your first post picture I can see that there are vertical slots in the body bracket for up/down adjustment. This is different then my Lark types and more like my 55 President.
                Anyway, the 2 bolts and nuts you pictured on your first post ARE what adjusts your hood forwards and back by loosening the bolts and sliding the hinge forward or backwards. However, loosening those bolts will also allow the hood to change the up and down position.
                I would loosen the bolts slightly and slide the hood back where you need it and when tightening the bolts make sure the hood is still in the correct up/down adjustment. Try to mark the hinge to get the same angle on the body bracket as it is now. Paint and crud may leave some tell tail marks you can see. Just having the before picture will give you some reference. I can see that the front of the hinge is slightly higher then the rear from the picture.
                It's a little different and more tedious task to adjust then the later design. Get some help to hold that hood up and move it.
                Sorry for the earlier confusion.
                Good luck.
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks Thunderations.

Comment

Tapped the lower bracket on the passenger side rearward about 1/4”, hood is aligned now.

Comment

Good deal. As always, if a little tap won't fix it, get a bigger hammer.
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                      X