The last South Bend convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last South Bend convertible?

Anyone seen this on Craigslist yet? Advertised as the last Daytona convertible built in South Bend. Is that price realistic?

I think it IS realistic, it IS what the seller WANTS!

Is it what a Buyer would Pay? Maybe, if I understand his Decimals right, $25,500.00 IS in the Ballpark for a Convertible.

Looks like a very nice original condition Daytona, not exactly highly desirably optioned though.

I can "See" the basic Column Shift Flight-O-Matic, Power Drum Brakes, Power Steering, AM/FM Radio, Standard Bench Seat , Maroon Vinyl Interior with Moonlight Silver finish. Not bad, just not "Special".

The owner does "Say" it has a 289 Engine, and that may be true.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

He should post the serial number in the ad. I remember a 1982 TW that listed every South Bend '64 convert with much detail.

I think it's a very nice car. I wish the seller good luck.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

I think the last 64 convertible is being restored by SDC member Denton Wright , of coarse this would be a Hamilton car .
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          I think the last 64 convertible is being restored by SDC member Denton Wright , of coarse this would be a Hamilton car .
          We now have two threads on the same subject. Yes Bob, the very last 64 convertible is in Denton Wright's hands and it is a Hamilton car. Tom Rickey's car is a South Bend car.

Can we combine the two threads?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
            We now have two threads on the same subject. Yes Bob, the very last 64 convertible is in Denton Wright's hands and it is a Hamilton car. Tom Rickey's car is a South Bend car.

Can we combine the two threads?

Stu Chapman
            Stu , I didn’t realize this was Toms convertible ! I know him and his car well .....good luck Tom
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The data on all the South-Bend built 1964 convertibles, by Serial Number, is listed in the July 1986 Turning Wheels.

According to that information, the exhaustive research for which has stood the test of time with no corrections having been necessary, the last 1964 Daytona convertible built in South Bend was Serial Number 64V20073, and it was shipped to New Jersey. It was Bermuda Brown with brown bucket seat interior and white convertible top. It was equipped with the base 180 HP 259 engine, 4-speed transmission, Whitewall Tires, Climatizer, Wheel Covers, Electric Windshield Washers, Twin Traction, and front seat belts. That's all.

If I'm not mistaken, it seems like that last car, 64V20073, is accounted for, possibly in Australia. We'll leave it to MTS (Master Thread Sleuth) Craig Parslow, to find the appropriate thread with the information as to its whereabouts.

If the seller of this car on the South Bend Craigslist claims it to be the last one off the line, he should post the Serial Number, preferably a photograph of the Serial Number plate, to validate his claim. That's because the last Moonlight Silver convertible manufactured with red bench seat interior and column-shift Flightomatic was 64V18826. It did have a 289 engine.

64V18826 was manufactured on December 13, 1963, not the last day in which South Bend convertibles were built, which was December 19, 1963. In fact, 27 convertibles were manufactured between 64V18826 and 64V20073! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Okay, Bob here ya go! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=bermuda

And its mentioned a few times in Stu's long-running 1964 convertible registry thread.

Craig

Comment

Here's the build sheet:Click image for larger version

Name:	35464490_2179017155659924_942503214165524480_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1721099

Comment

Bob, you are right , I shipped the last convertible to come out of SB production out here about 7 years ago , came from an estate up in Napa Valley, C.A.
                    Brian Greenall
                    Melbourne, OZ
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                      Bob, you are right , I shipped the last convertible to come out of SB production out here about 7 years ago , came from an estate up in Napa Valley, C.A.
                      Brian please check your private messages
                      1936 Dictator
                      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                      1953 Commander Regal HT
                      1953 2R5 Pickup
                      1947 M16 Truck
                      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                      1963 GT Hawk R2
                      1964 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Working...
                      X