Thread: To Paint or Not to Paint my 1950 Land Cruiser

To Paint or Not to Paint my 1950 Land Cruiser

Sunday I drove my car 100 miles to show it to an expert painter, looking for some advice. I used polishing compound to clean up the paint from the cowl back, but the paint on the hood and front fender tops don't have enough paint to polish. Brad suggested I keep the original paint and just paint the front clip. It did polish out better than I expected, and I now agree with Brad to keep the original paint. It's far from perfect, but sure isn't bad for original paint. This will also save me a lot of work and money. I took these pictures today so I'd have some good pictures with the old wide whitewalls. I'm going to have to install my new radials pretty soon, but unfortunately they only have a narrow whitewall.

007.jpg 005.jpg

Speedster Member
    Coker makes a lot of whitewalls. You cant use them?
    https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styl...QaAlm_EALw_wcB

Im sure there are plenty of others out there as well....

The problem with buying a wide whitewall is each one will cost what I paid for a set of 4 radials.

Golden Hawk Member
    If you go with just painting the nose, I suggget painting it with enamel so that it will appear similar to the rest of the car.

If you insist on using those tires, mount them with the narrow whitewall on the inside/backside. The car will look better with blackwalls than with narrow stripe whtewalls.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    I agree with Gary: better black walls than the skinny white stripe. They just look soooo wrong on those carsIMG_9248.jpg and detract rather than dress up.

Unless of course you go with the ole porta wall

Beautiful car!

Mark

I wish JC Whitney would send me one of their 60's catalogs with wide white port a walls for about $10. How about a white paint to make a wide white. From 10 or more feet it might be OK.

The cheapest radial WWW might be the ones made by Diamondback. Have you checked them? They take new radials and vulcanize a whitewall on them.

Some of the low riders and Kustomizers in town have their narrow whitewalls sanded down to the wider white underneath. I have no idea if that compromises the integrity of the sidewall, though. Probably depends on how much sanding is done and by whom.

I just had a couple of panels (middle roof and right front fender) repainted on my 99 Honda and it came out beautifully - made the whole car look 100% better. On your car, black should be an easy color to match and the breaks at the cowl and fender make a nice line of demarcation.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-12-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I agree with Gary: better black walls than the skinny white stripe. They just look soooo wrong on those carsIMG_9248.jpg and detract rather than dress up.
    X 3. I agree with both of you on that one.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Absolutely! Black walls out!

President Member
    I have older bias-ply wide white-walls on my 51 LC which I refer to as cream-walls because even with a lot of scrubbing I can't get them to come up white. They had been wrapped in plastic and stored in the trunk for over thirty years before I bought the car. I need to replace the tires because of their age (mid-nineteen eighties) not their mileage. I had hoped to be able to drive it to the international meet but my home renovation/addition ate up all my Studebaker funds this year and I can't afford to do the work I need to make it safe for highway travel.
    Question: While you are re-painting the front clip are you planning to return the headlight trims to chrome? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought only the 1950 champions had painted headlight trim.
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

President Member
    Since people have chosen to chime in, I vote for wide whites. I was there to watch the backlash against WW's in the late 60's and 70's. Tough and cool was in, daddy's white walls were out. To me an upscale black car like this, just looks right with wide whites. Grandpaw may have bought the car with black walls, but I bet that the ww's have been on it for many years. The car looks great! Do yourself and, everyone interested in history a favor, and leave it like it has been for 65+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by StudeMann View Post
    Question: While you are re-painting the front clip are you planning to return the headlight trims to chrome? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought only the 1950 champions had painted headlight trim.
    Not correct.

All (ALL - as in every one) of the early 50 Studebakers had painted headlight rings and chrome egg-crate grills. Sometime in mid production, Studebaker decided to get more value for their chroming dollar and chrome plated the headlight rings and left the egg crate grills un-chromed.

When the Custom model came out in the Champion line mid year, it reverted to painted headlight and tail light rings, plus a number of other money saving things/deletions in the custom line of trim.

President Member
    I went through this same dilemma last year with my 50 commander in Surf Grey. I had a lot of door dings on one door and scrapes on a couple fenders. While I got a very close match at the DuPont store, the gloss in the new enamel was different from mine which I had buffed and looked decent. I knew I would never be happy with the result so I ended repainting all the car. I did not do door jams nor cowl. Back then it seems they only flash coated the inner fenders so I repainted them

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Not correct.

All (ALL - as in every one) of the early 50 Studebakers had painted headlight rings and chrome egg-crate grills. Sometime in mid production, Studebaker decided to get more value for their chroming dollar and chrome plated the headlight rings and left the egg crate grills un-chromed.

When the Custom model came out in the Champion line mid year, it reverted to painted headlight and tail light rings, plus a number of other money saving things/deletions in the custom line of trim.
    Thank you for beating me to this correction. This was another item where Bob Bourke was overruled. Bob wanted the painted headlight rims to further emphasize the airplane inspired nose. Studebaker wanted more chrome. Some owners of early cars had their cars "updated" with chrome rims.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Have you priced paint lately! My vote is to keep as much original paint as you can get. WAX WAX WAX

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
    Have you priced paint lately! My vote is to keep as much original paint as you can get. WAX WAX WAX
    Agreed! And it's only original once!

As for the tires, I also vote for either WWW or blackwalls out.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Speedster Member
    We have Diamondback WWW’s on our Silver Hawk. They are very good quality.
    We put Coker “American Classic” 4A005E51-F98A-4F3C-8023-5F478ACADD68.jpg7ECCA212-DBE5-40C2-9079-8B9FD3583F36.jpg WW’s on our ‘50 Land Cruiser because they are the only ones available in the correct size, which is
    7.60/R-15. There is no modern tire that correlates to this size. It is a tall tire that looks just right on the ‘Cruisers.
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1970 Avanti

I spent some hours yesterday and today polishing out the front clip. It makes it look much better, but the hood and tops of the front fenders still won't shine due to lack of paint and the start of rust. At least it will look more presentable until I get around to painting it. Too bad the sun was so bright today, but you can still see the difference from the pictures in the first post.

003.jpg 006.jpg

Speedster Member
    You know, a good body shop can do spot repair (meaning painting only certain parts of the car)— it’s commonly done in Insurance claim jobs— and a really good painter can blend it into adjacent panels so well that you can’t even tell. Why not see if you can just have the top of the front fenders and hood done? Then you can still claim it’s (mostly) original paint, save the time and money of a complete paint job, and still spiffy it up nicely?
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1970 Avanti

I had a bad experience with paint blending on my first car. When my dad owned it, he had the front of the hood painted to cover the stone chips and the blend went about 1/3 of the way back the length of the hood. From the driver's seat, you could see a wide band of no/low gloss where the paint was rough. So I went after that area with polishing compound and uncovered the oxide red strata of primer. Now I looked out over a band of low gloss plus a reddish stripe. That didn't go away until the entire car was painted.

If it were my car, I would have the entire hood and entire front fenders painted and cut off at the natural break at the rear edge of the hood and rear edge of the fenders. Even if the gloss is not a perfect match from the old paint to the new, the breaks mentioned will allow the differences to look OK.

I just had a couple of panels painted on my 99 Honda; one front fender where the car was keyed, and the center roof where the clear coat was turning white. All new paint ended at natural lines of demarcation and there were no blends. The rest of the 20 year old paint job still looks decent and the whole car looks 100% better than it did before.

Yes, for sure the entire front clip will be painted at some time. There is no other good way to break off the paint line.

President Member
    I wonder could that be cleaned up and cleared over?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
    I wonder could that be cleaned up and cleared over?
    It could be, but I don't like the idea of clear coat vs. original paint, and especially clear over rust.
    I think it's best to sand off the rust and give the front clip a proper prime and paint with single stage enamel without clear.

President Member
    Yeah, I forgot about the differences between Modern BAse/clear and the Enamel. I prefer enamel myself.

I finally got my 4 new radial tires mounted, balanced, and installed. I was surprised at how easily it started today, even after setting a couple weeks through very hot humid weather. What a nice difference the new radials made. I enjoyed the drive home from South Bend with the old bias weather checked tires, but now it's like floating on a cloud. This is the nicest, softest, quietest ride I've ever had in any car. I think it's even better than my modern ride. My two 1950 Commanders have a nice ride, but the last time I drove them was in the 70's and with old bias tires. The 1950 Land Cruiser is tops in my book.

At the Swedish meeting this year there was a black -53 Commander Starliner that's been repainted & touched up many years ago & that kind of patina beats everything easily!
    So I for sure agree with #16 Corbin!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan