Thread: I need a favor...

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I need a favor...

Can I please call in a favor from the SDC brotherhood? Look, I know that posting this link might just place me on a blacklist that not even McCarthy would imagine, but I still feel as though it is important that I do this. I have been working diligently on the content in here for a while (and I promise, it's Studebaker related), so please, just go ahead and take a look. You won't regret it!

LINK: https://www.patreon.com/IntriguinglyDifferent
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Jake,
    I enjoyed your video. I don't know who will see it but I hope it inspires more folks, especially youngsters like yourself, to acquire and drive a Studebaker. The more they are seen on the road the more interest I am sure they will garner.
    Keep it up. I am not quite sure what your concern was in your post. I see nothing wrong here.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    Nice video. cheers jimmijim
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Speedster Member
    One of the topics discussed in other posts is the age of Studebaker club members. Sadly, we aint gettin' any younger. Jake is the future of this club if we want to bring in new, younger members to keep the legacy alive. Educational videos and other content will help ensure that these cars and the history around them are not forgotten, and instead evolve into a format for younger generations.

Jake is NOT the ONLY way to keep this club alive, but he is taking a big step in the right direction.

I suggest that we all watch his youtube video and pitch in to keep his enthusiasm going so he can help promote the club. Please donate to him on his Patreon page.

https://www.patreon.com/IntriguinglyDifferent

Well done Jake!

Patreon?? Know NOTHING about this, and have not heard of it.
    Most of us oldtimers will probably have no clue what this is, or exactly WHAT is going on here if they are like me.

I get nothing, Nada, NO Video, do I have to Join, Pay up $1 to 2000.00 or what?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Patreon?? Know NOTHING about this, and have not heard of it.
    Most of us oldtimers will probably have no clue what this is, or exactly WHAT is going on here if they are like me.

I get nothing, Nada, NO Video, do I have to Join, Pay up $1 to 2000.00 or what?
    Like most websites, this one has an "About" section that describes the site. It may help to read that page to understand what Patreon is all about. From there, you can decide if you want to support Jake on his page.
    Here is a link to the about page, which includes a video to describe what Patreon is all about.
    https://www.patreon.com/about

President Member
    Hey Rich, just click on the link provided in Jake's post here. When it comes up, scroll down to the picture of Jake with his GT Hawk and click on the picture.

ENJOY!!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)

OK Cool, I got the Video now, what happened is, you have to WAIT for all of Jake's Posts to finally Load, and at the very bottom there is a very tiny Link there to the Video, I just ignored this Patreon Page whatever that is.

A very good, informative Video. Good Job, but like Gary L. usually does, I have to have SOME suggestion for improvement.

Next time you are mentioning full Wheel Covers, do not call them "Hubcaps"!
    This correction indeed is Petty, because so many "Car" people do misrepresent these. Which is very telling as to the High Quality of this presentation since it is the ONLY one!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Jake, I am not quite sure what your concern was in your post. I see nothing wrong here.
    Eddie,

Thanks for the positive words. The reason why I was nervous about posting this was due to the nature of Patreon. Essentially, I am asking for money to take care of needed expenses on my car that my job does not provide for. Asking for money and CASO mentalities do not necessarily mix.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

President Member
    Great video!!! Thanks for sharing.
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

President Member
    Patreon is just a way for creative artists like Jake who is very good at presentation as one example to get financial support to continue to create. I'd like to see Jake do more presentations on Studebakers so I donated $10.00. That's what Patreon is.

President Member
    Nicely done! Good to know the car is from our current home town of Sacramento. I'll keep the reference to share.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champ,
    \'50 Starlight Champ,
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

President Member
    Jake,

I watched the videos(s) and also all the comments of this thread. I am seriously conflicted by this and I will tell you why. It appears there is a conflict of interest with SDC and your purpose. If you read on the Forums home page in the about "
    The purpose of the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) was, and continues to be, to honor the Studebaker automobile and all of the Studebaker-related products" That is why we have a club and charge a membership fee.

On the Forum, it is not a requirement at the present time to be a member of SDC. Our membership is approximately 12,500 people in SDC and also composed of many chapters. The local chapters are the heart and strength of our club. Our chapter in March recently put on a car show of Studebakers that required lots of volunteer work and effort to make that a success. There was no charge for the show; people came and viewed the cars and there were raffle items that were donated and people did buy tickets for the raffle items but were not required to do so. We did gain four members as a result. One person on the forum TJ Lavalle, mentioned that it was great and he almost thought about becoming a member of our local chapter. Our dues are $15.00 for the chapter. I don't know why he did not join but I do see he did contribute $10.00 to you.

If you apply your talents to your local SDC Chapter, I am sure membership would increase so we have a strong organization to continue for years to come. I don't think it is a CASO mentality you need to be concerned about. As a national SDC Officer, I would rather see things being done to help boost SDC first.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator 2018-2020

Jake,
    I think it was great. I taught High School for 30 years. Some of that was in video production. These kids can be great. I encourage more of this, these kids are our future. In more than just Studebakers. I recently was asked to start a Classic Car Restoration Program at Sunshine Acres Children's Home in Mesa AZ, look it up to see what they do. I will be working with the Middle and High Schoolers to restore cars. Nicely done Jake. I will watch your videos.
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Jake,

If you apply your talents to your local SDC Chapter, I am sure membership would increase so we have a strong organization to continue for years to come. I don't think it is a CASO mentality you need to be concerned about. As a national SDC Officer, I would rather see things being done to help boost SDC first.

Bob Miles
    From what I can gather, what you want me to do is to have a more SDC-centric focus in my videos. I can do that.

Commander Member
    You won't go wrong with a Studebaker....always show people how the rear quarter panels unbolt. You can unbolt one at a car show for something to do. the emerald green is quite lovely but clashes so bad with the aqua interior...oh well, as long as you like it and you obviously do. cool, cool, coolDSCF1324.jpgDSCF1290.jpg

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    From what I can gather, what you want me to do is to have a more SDC-centric focus in my videos. I can do that.
    Thanks Jake but from what I understand from you site that you want to do a comprehensive look at all things automotive history. If you decide to delve back as far as when the 1908 Chadwick was made (first supercharged car), Cartercar which had friction drive (similar today to the CVT transmissions) Lozier, Crane-Simplex, Locomobile, Roamer, Graham Supercharged, Doble Steamer, as well as any number of cars, having SDC content would not be necessary. If you did a video on the Studebaker-Porsche connection in the 50's or the Studebaker Diesel project, or the front wheel drive proposal for Studebaker in the early 60's, stories like that could pique interest in Studebaker.

Just a recommendation: on your home page put in a line like "Want to know more about Studebaker?" After that line put in a link to the Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page. This would open another avenue to our club. This would free you from adding content to you video and still benefit you and your goal.

Bob Miles
    Last edited by 6hk71400; 06-14-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: additional information

Great video Jake! This is you first car? Man when I was 16 I thought I was cool driving a 77 Datsun 280z in the mid 1990s.. I couldnt imagine how giddy I would have felt owning that hawk at 16! I subscribed to your Youtube channel and I look forward to seeing more videos!

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Thanks Jake but from what I understand from you site that you want to do a comprehensive look at all things automotive history. If you decide to delve back as far as when the 1908 Chadwick was made (first supercharged car), Cartercar which had friction drive (similar today to the CVT transmissions) Lozier, Crane-Simplex, Locomobile, Roamer, Graham Supercharged, Doble Steamer, as well as any number of cars, having SDC content would not be necessary. If you did a video on the Studebaker-Porsche connection in the 50's or the Studebaker Diesel project, or the front wheel drive proposal for Studebaker in the early 60's, stories like that could pique interest in Studebaker.

Just a recommendation: on your home page put in a line like "Want to know more about Studebaker?" After that line put in a link to the Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page. This would open another avenue to our club. This would free you from adding content to you video and still benefit you and your goal.

Bob Miles

Bob, it appears that you may think that Patreon is Jakes website. That is not the case. Patreon is an independent site that allows content creators (and others) to get funding for their projects. Thats all it is.
    Jake is not creating a site that competes with SDC. All he is doing is creating videos, and he's looking for funding to help create these videos.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding where you are coming from, but I dont see what the conflict of interest is here. If I am misunderstanding, please elaborate.

President Member
    Jake, you are THE MAN! Keep up the great work and of course, Studebaker promotion.
    I agree with Bob, a link to the Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page would open up a whole new world of Studebakers for the uninitiated.
    Thanks for all your participation in our treasured marque.
    Cheers, Bil

Speedster Member
    Hey guys-

Just want to point out that Jake is asking for help fund more videos. On this page, you will see an orange button "become a patron".

https://www.patreon.com/IntriguinglyDifferent

You dont have to help him out to watch his videos; but if you like them, you can throw a bit if money his way. The lowest donation amount is $1 for us CASOs.

President Member
    I did go back over all the threads and missed the one about Patreon. I now understand; Jake you did a great job on your presentation and I now realize it is not competition for the Studebaker Drivers Club. It will enhance and maybe improve your lot in life as requested and will also benefit SDC.

Keep going and I look forward to all your contributions in the future.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator 2018-2020.