Rochester 2 bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Rochester 2 bbl

I know this is a goofy question, but I will ask anyway. Will a Rochester 2 gc fit a late V8 intake with out an adapter? Epay has Chinese copies that flow 352 cfm for $80.thats cheap enough to take a chance.
    Thanks Dave

Your question is a good question...

My late father used to tell me that the only dumb question is the one not asked...
    My reply to that is that there is no such thing as a dumb question, but there is such a thing as a dumb answer

The bolt pattern is the same.
    The Stromberg WW throttle bore is a tad less than 1&7/16" (1.432" to be exact..Just measured one).
    Most 2GC throttle bores are 1&1/2" at the flange (according to the chart below)
    * However.. I just measured a throttle plate on a fresh 2GC and it measured 1.430"

Have built several intakes to take a 'modified' 2GC and the bores were slightly larger...but the carbs were modified.

Conclusion?
    It very well could drop right on without modification. If your new 2GC base is 1&1/2" you could open up the stock Stude 2bbl intake throttle bore (which stock is also 1.432"...just measured one for grins) the 2GC should drop on.

Here's some Internet search info:
    (copy)

Below is what the HP Books Rochester Carbs said as far as the 2bls go.

Model 2G.
    1 1/4 flange, 1 7/16" throtlle bore,1 3/32" Venturi = 278 CFM @ 3.00 in mercury.

Model 2G.

1 1/2 in flange , 1 11/16" throttle bores.
    1 3/16 " venturi = 252 CFM @ 3.00 in mercury.
    1 1/4 " venturi = 381 CFM @ 3.00 in mercury.
    1 5/16 " venturi = 423 CFM @ 3.00 in mercury.
    1 3/8 " venturi = 435 CFM @ 3.00 in mercury.
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-12-2018, 04:40 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff,that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Comment

According to the website it has 1.250 Venturi's so it should flow 381cfm, that should be a nice little increase over the WW.( Nothing scientific just eyeball). Some vendors have them for as little as $73.00 with free shipping. I believe I am going to give it a try. My old WW hasn't been run in 20 plus years,by the time I get a rebuild kit and clean it up I'll have nearly that in the old carb.
        Dave

Comment

For those who've never done a carb swap, the Rochester 2GCs were used on GM sixes, small block V8s and big block V8s for more than thirty years; there are two different base bolt patterns, a dozen different models, with different fuel inlets, different throttle linkages, different fuel filters.

That some of them have the same base bolt pattern as the Stromberg WW, there will still be many small modifications to the swap.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I had one on a '53 Commander 232 about 50 years ago. I was just a kid then, but it ran great winter (Chicago) and summer.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks,Jack, I knew it wouldn't be a exact interchange, I will be able to make whatever small parts it needs to make it work.
              Dave

Comment

How about a link or a website or a description that would allow me to find it easily, please?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I don't know how to add link, but it is on eBay. Look up Rochester 2 gc, there are a bunch of vendors selling the same thing @ a variety of prices,
                  Dave

Comment

you go to the URL, which is the address on the Internet page you are looking at (starts with http: etcetera)
                    highlight the URL
                    control C is copy
                    go to your reply on this forum
                    Control V is paste
                    viola, a link appears that anyone can click on
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I would not buy a chinese knock off. The small Rochester two barrel is a great carb.

Comment

Working...
                      X