Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Intake Gasket

1558122 anybody got some?

So Leonard are you going to make me look that up to see what that fits?

I know a lot of the Part Numbers on sight, but that is a very LATE number that the Major Vendors do not stock unless it was Superseded, I have many OEM, NOS, Asbestos, Copper and or aluminum NLA, Intake/Exhaust Gaskets for Sixes.

I am guessing from your "Intake" statement: NLA Avanti, or GM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry Rich, any one that has one probable knows the number but I should have been more specific.

It's a metal shim style intake gasket with the center exhaust port closed off, or just a small hole. The other side has a different number but I'm not sure which is which. I have only one with a small hole, and I'm told that is for the choke tube.

I thought it would be good to have a complete set. I know that after machining the block and heads I may be better off with the composite style. If I do I will still block off that exhaust port.

Again, sorry for being so vague,

Len

Comment

The metal intake gasket with the small hole goes on the left, drivers side, on R2 engines. It looks like it was made to accommodate the choke stove. If it does, it's just a coincidence. The right side had the standard, wide open, heat riser passage. At least the left side was supposed to be stainless steel. It's very hard to find the restricted gasket these days.
        Mike

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
        Sorry Rich, any one that has one probable knows the number but I should have been more specific.

It's a metal shim style intake gasket with the center exhaust port closed off, or just a small hole. The other side has a different number but I'm not sure which is which. I have only one with a small hole, and I'm told that is for the choke tube.

I thought it would be good to have a complete set. I know that after machining the block and heads I may be better off with the composite style. If I do I will still block off that exhaust port.

Again, sorry for being so vague,

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          The metal intake gasket with the small hole goes on the left, drivers side, on R2 engines. It looks like it was made to accommodate the choke stove. If it does, it's just a coincidence. The right side had the standard, wide open, heat riser passage. At least the left side was supposed to be stainless steel. It's very hard to find the restricted gasket these days.
          Mike
          Bob's Studebaker Resource Website:

"The R2 Avanti engine used different intake manifold gaskets. The passenger side (#1558123) has one small hole so the choke stove gets the heat. The drivers side (#1558122) has no hole at all."

I have the 1558123. What I was after was the 1558122, the closed off gasket. I ended up with it because I have a few sets spanning many years and manufactures. I used to get the full sets with shim and composite head gaskets and many other items not included in today's sets.

As mentioned it may be impossible to find new or even NOS but it was worth a shot.

Len

Comment

Phill Harris has them in Composition material. (Fairborn Studebaker)
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Bez,

Do they cover the exhaust port? If they are regular intake gaskets, composite, then I have multiple sets.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                Bez,

Do they cover the exhaust port? If they are regular intake gaskets, composite, then I have multiple sets.

Len

Comment

If the heat riser passage in either gasket was completely blocked, what purpose would the heat riser control valve serve?
                  Mike
                  Bez,

Len

Comment

They block one side, and have the 1/2" hole like STOCK R series intake gaskets. Why not contact Phil and ask? The R engines make enough heat without needing adding more. Ask Studebaker engineers why they deemed it necessary.....tell them it is wrong, not the messenger!!!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have a copy of the SAE paper #630048, "The Avanti by Studebaker", dated Jan. 1963. It's written by E. J. Hardig and M. P. deBlumenthal, (they are the engineers).
                      There's a long paragraph about how less manifold heat is needed on the R2 and how they "limited", not eliminated, exhaust gas flow in the heat riser passages with a special gasket on the
                      left side, with a small hole. Because it's partially exposed to exhaust gasses, it's made of stainless steel. There's a picture of the gasket with an arrow pointing to the hole and the word "restriction". It looks like one I have, probably made by McCord, although I don't think mine is stainless. According to the SAE paper, it's for the left side.
                      According to the Dec. 1963 Avanti parts book, (black cover), Stude part # 1558122 is the left side on R2's only. Right side is 1558123 on R2's, and I don't think it was restricted, much less blocked. My reasons are:
                      There is no mention of anything special about the right side gasket in the SAE paper.
                      The right side has to be open enough, at least, for the choke stove.
                      If flow was blocked in the heat riser passages, there would be no reason for a heat riser valve.
                      I suppose Bez means R1's by "stock R engines". The Avanti parts book lists # 530266 for both left and right on R1's. That's an older #, and I see it's also listed in my 1961 parts book as being for "all eights except 56J". It's the mild steel unrestricted gasket that's still commonly available.
                      Mike
                      Last edited by Mike; 06-12-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

The SAE paper is not a parts catalogue so it may not tell the whole story.

Can we clear this up? Maybe not. Here are some numbers to think about. 530266 is the V8 shim type maniflod gasket we sometimes get in full sets. Got plenty of those new and used. 1558123 and 1558122 are right and left, respectively,
                        gaskets used on supercharged engines, R2 I would conclude.

What does this mean? That there are 3 different metal shim style gaskets.

I know what two of them look like and from what I have read the one I haven't seen is not open or with a small hole but something different.

Len

Comment

Len,
                          I agree.
                          The 1558123 gasket is a mystery to me. Perhaps it is just a stainless steel copy of the "open" 530266, so it would tighten down to match the stainless steel left side, on an R2?
                          If I remove the intake manifold on my R2, I'll probably replace it with my mild steel restricted gasket on the left, and a wide open, 530266, on the right. I'll use copper coat gasket sealer. I've long since removed the heat riser control valve. I like the steel gaskets. Although I remember seeing Ford "Y Block" intake gaskets that were soft material with a stainless steel restriction at the heat riser passage which worked fine, I don't like the idea of making the gasket thicker at one point. There isn't much surface area, in a Stude, to support a soft gasket, either. If I could find them, I would probably buy stainless gaskets with blocked heat risers.
                          The SAE paper is authoritative. There is a picture of the restricted gasket, and it is said to be for the left side.
                          It might be worthwhile to compare part #'s in the "R" series Lark/Hawk part list and the earlier Avanti, (white cover), parts book, with what we have accepted. So far, we haven't added to confusion by discussing part #'s for the manifold gasket sets that included the exhaust manifold gaskets, or the R3/4 gaskets. I hope we can keep it that way.
                          It's a pleasure to address this question in a reasonable manner.
                          Mike

QUOTE=Skybolt;1113958]The SAE paper is not a parts catalogue so it may not tell the whole story.

Can we clear this up? Maybe not. Here are some numbers to think about. 530266 is the V8 shim type maniflod gasket we sometimes get in full sets. Got plenty of those new and used. 1558123 and 1558122 are right and left, respectively,
                          gaskets used on supercharged engines, R2 I would conclude.

What does this mean? That there are 3 different metal shim style gaskets.

I know what two of them look like and from what I have read the one I haven't seen is not open or with a small hole but something different.

Len[/QUOTE]

Comment

I did find this.

Len

Comment

The SAE paper is not a parts catalogue so it may not tell the whole story.
                              How about the Avanti Shop Manual? "The intake manifold gaskets used on the supercharged models differ from those used on the unsupercharged models. On supercharged models the gaskets are aluminum coated and are not interchangeable from left to right bank. The left manifold gasket has a 1/2" diameter hole at the center of the exhaust port."
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                              X