Horn Repairs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Repairs...

...do you know anyone who repairs car horns?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I sent mine (from a 63 GT) off to this guy:

Specialty restorer and rebuilder of classic and muscle car & Truck horns. The Horn Works guarantees the end product will exceed original manufacturer specifications.

He was initially not used to dealing with Studebaker horns; I had to send him photos after which he agreed that he could fix them.

They came back as advertised and sound great.
    Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Comment

Thank You.....
      Originally posted by JimK View Post
      I sent mine (from a 63 GT) off to this guy:

Specialty restorer and rebuilder of classic and muscle car & Truck horns. The Horn Works guarantees the end product will exceed original manufacturer specifications.

He was initially not used to dealing with Studebaker horns; I had to send him photos after which he agreed that he could fix them.

They came back as advertised and sound great.
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Anyone know who might repair 6 volt horns?
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
          Anyone know who might repair 6 volt horns?
          The same guy that repairs 12 volt horns should have no problem doing a 6 volt horn.
          I bought a missing horn for my 50 Land Cruiser from the junk yard.
          Buying a good used horn might be cheaper than having one repaired.

Comment

Many times horns do not have to be rebuilt. Sometimes all that is necessary is an adjustment of the screw located on the case which will readjust the contact points making a better contact. I recently had to adjust the horns in my Avanti which now makes them sound like new ones. On earlier horns with the removable covers, the contact points can be accessed for cleaning and adjusting which restores a good contact. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              Many times horns do not have to be rebuilt. Sometimes all that is necessary is an adjustment of the screw located on the case which will readjust the contact points making a better contact. I recently had to adjust the horns in my Avanti which now makes them sound like new ones. On earlier horns with the removable covers, the contact points can be accessed for cleaning and adjusting which restores a good contact. Bud
              I agree. I have never sent out a horn for repair. The adjusting screw always worked for me.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This garage sale was posted recently. It looks like Spartan horns on one of the tableshttps://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/gms/d/huge-garage-sale-lots-of/6613300468.html It looks like the link didn't stay active through the transfer. Just search garage sale on the forum.
                Last edited by tsenecal; 06-12-2018, 08:08 AM. Reason: Add content
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Been using penetrating oil on my horn's adjusting screw....so far no luck....is there a special wrench used?
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

I'm sure there is a special wrench that was designed to turn those screws, but I've never seen one. I use pliers to turn the screws which I know isn't the best but they will work. Be careful when trying to turn the adjusting screw on the Sparton horns as they can be very easily broken, I learned that the hard way. My recommendation for the Sparton horns is to keep soaking the screw with penetrating oil until it breaks loose. The screw even when it isn't stuck has an interference fit to keep it from turning on its own, so be careful when trying to turn them. Bud

Comment

Edit (removal) of my post.. I TRIED to disassemble mine, clean them up and get them working. They worked for a couple of honks, but both died again.

If anyone has functional Avanti horns, I'm your huckleberry!
                      Last edited by Ron Dame; 06-16-2018, 12:58 PM.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

If I remember correctly, the later Sparton horns are riveted together which makes disassembly tough. If the horns have had a bunch of water get inside, they are usually done for as the water especially if it has any trace of salt in it corrodes the internals of the horn making repairs difficult if not impossible without the correct tools and a good stock of replacement parts. Bud

Comment

I've seen them rust up pretty good and with a little cleaning and wd40 (sprayed directly into the bell of the horn) and then sdjustment they will usually work....quietly at first...once they free up they get louder.

Comment

If anyone is interested, I found an adequate substitute for the horns on my 1962 GT Hawk. They're from Mac's Autoparts at https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...95385/image/0/. Although they fit T-birds, they're good in appearance and have a nice sound. And they're only $72.99 for the pair. The dome is plastic but it looks pretty good. The only thing you have to change is the electrical terminal. The mounting brackets are perfect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1721214

Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1721215
                            Last edited by 56GH; 06-29-2018, 06:56 AM.
                            Bill L.
                            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                            X