"Promises to be a Solid Investment?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
    Hummmmm, so 10-20 years down the road some Gen X, Gen Y, Millennial will be chomping at the bit to pay $60,000+ for a smog belching, gas hogging, rolling pile if steel. I'm thinking – NO. They will likely be paying big bucks for first generation I-Phones, X-Boxes etc. so they too can relive their childhood. The day is not too far off when the bottom will drop out of the collector car market. The Silent Generation and the Baby Boomers will die off and the then current generation will have as much interest in cars as this I-Phone generation has in Ham Radio.
    I'm not sure I agree completely with your sentiment, but it is true that guys in their 30s are now collecting first-generation video game platforms and cartridges, and have been for a few years. Have you seen the price for a working, mint Intellivision system lately?

But I don't think that all interest in old cars is going to instantly evaporate one day.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#222222]Hummmmm, so 10-20 years down the road some Gen X, Gen Y, Millennial will be chomping at the bit to pay $60,000+ for a smog belching, gas hogging, rolling pile if steel. I'm thinking – NO. They will likely be paying big bucks for first generation I-Phones,
      I disagree. Folks whose parents weren't even born at the time are willing to pay big bucks for ancient cars. Try to buy any of the 1930s high dollar cars in fully restored condition. They'll cost more than most houses.

And stuff being cool just because it's old? Nah. I threw an old Marantz amp in the trash along with an IBM Selectric and a stand-alone-fax machine. And I've got at least 35# of Pentax camera gear and Fuji slide film that was all the rage when Simon and Garfunkel were singing "Kodachrome". Now it isn't a decent boat anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
        But I don't think that all interest in old cars is going to instantly evaporate one day.
        Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
        I disagree. Folks whose parents weren't even born at the time are willing to pay big bucks for ancient cars. Try to buy any of the 1930s high dollar cars in fully restored condition. They'll cost more than most houses.
        I think my point is being misunderstood. I'm not saying every car will be like the 1929 stock market crash. BUT, it is well noted that the millennial generation has not nearly the interest in cars their fathers and grandfathers had. There will be a glut of cars (they will inherit) and prices will fall. And many a millennial will sell their fathers and grandfathers past to spend on items of their own (millennial) past.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
          And stuff being cool just because it's old? Nah. I threw an old Marantz amp in the trash...
          I don't know about the amps, but in this part of the world original marantz receivers go for good $. cheers, junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

...($$$$$$$$) seems like a lot to compensate for one's adolescent disappointment.
            This is the essences of what drives current auction prices for muscle cars. Well stated!

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X