50 land Cruiser wiper motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 50 land Cruiser wiper motor

Question on wiper motors, I am looking for an electric motor to replace non working motor in my Land Cruiser. Everything I find says 50 Champion. Can this be installed in a Land Cruiser?

Also, how do you lube the rollers and shafts, I can not reach them laying on the floor. The vacuum motor seems fine when removed from the car but seems to be unable to move the wipers. I have cleaned and lubed it.
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Yes the motor and all the mechanism are the same on the Champ and the Commander. You should be able to move the wipers fairly easily by hand by rotating the adapter on the wiper motor mount. If you can not you will have to dig deeper under the dash and get everything lubed up, especially the pivots where the arms mount. Sure you can install a powerful electric motor but you will end up snapping the cables. On the passenger side you will need to remove the glove box to get at the pivot and tensioners.

Comment

Thanks Ross
      I thought they were the same. I am removing the seat to work on the wiring under the dash so this will be a good time to see about the wiper drive lube.
      sigpic
      Barn Find
      1950 Champion
      Before I started
      Jim Berry
      Midlothian, TX

Comment

My inquiring mind requires an answer, I hope someone can help. If my memory serves me, a vacuum motor was standard up through, at least, 1951. Is this correct? Also trusting my memory, Studebaker offered an electric motor as a no-cost option. Is this correct? If both are correct, how often was the electric motor substituted for the vacuum motor, any educated guesses?

Comment

I went on a 100 mile drive with my 50 Land Cruiser yesterday, and tried the wipers for the first time since I drove the car home 6 weeks ago. I was surprised that the wipers stopped working when I floored it, even though it has the dual diaphram pump to boost the vacuum. I try to never drive in the rain, and use Rain-X anyway, so it's no big deal, but you'd think they would work the same with the vacuum pump, whether the car is cruising or floored.

Comment

That dual diaphragm pump is an assist, not a cure for the problem. I've dealt with a lot of old Ford vacuum wipers and the first thing to do is put a hose onto the intake port on the wiper motor, (usually right on the bottom) and into a container of neatsfoot oil or some other leather lubricant, start the engine and turn on the wipers to allow that solution to be sucked into the wiper motor. Once it has sucked some in, just turn it off let it sit for awhile, several days even. Then start the car and turn the wipers on and they should perform better. You might even want to give it another shot of lubricant so that all the leathers in the wiper motor have absorbed as much as possible. Any excess oil will be drawn into the engine and burned, hurting nothing.
            Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            I went on a 100 mile drive with my 50 Land Cruiser yesterday, and tried the wipers for the first time since I drove the car home 6 weeks ago. I was surprised that the wipers stopped working when I floored it, even though it has the dual diaphram pump to boost the vacuum. I try to never drive in the rain, and use Rain-X anyway, so it's no big deal, but you'd think they would work the same with the vacuum pump, whether the car is cruising or floored.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

It is a vacuum motor. I had thought to replace with an electric but all the adds I found for a retro fit electric state 50 champion. Not sure if they will work. I'm going to try to get some lubricant on the rollers an shafts and see if that helps.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

Pages 93 and 94 of the body parts catalog say that wiper motors and their motor receptacles are the same from 49-50 Commander to 49-50 Champion, like Ross said.

Whatever the aftermarket catalog says, their information is not as accurate as the official Studebaker literature. In other words, if the replacement wiper motor does indeed fit a 50 Champion, then that same replacement wiper motor will fit a 50 Commander - at least as well as it fits the Champion.

There are probably 10 to 20 surviving 50 Champions for every surviving 50 Commander and that may explain why the aftermarket catalog only lists Champions.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-11-2018, 03:04 PM.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks, Roy
                  I was fairly sure they were the same, the one in my champion and land cruiser look the same. I may try the champion motor on the land cruiser to prove a point.
                  sigpic
                  Barn Find
                  1950 Champion
                  Before I started
                  Jim Berry
                  Midlothian, TX

Comment

To cure the wipers from stopping when there is low vacuum, there is out there in the world an electric vacuum pump that operates on available vacuum. If the vacuum is strong it holds the contact points apart and when it falls below the required amount the points close and the vacuum pump starts up and maintains vacuum during low vacuum up a hill. They were an accessory prior to electric wipers.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08760.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1721083Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08761.JPG
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1721084Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08762.JPG
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1721085This is what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                      To cure the wipers from stopping when there is low vacuum, there is out there in the world an electric vacuum pump that operates on available vacuum. If the vacuum is strong it holds the contact points apart and when it falls below the required amount the points close and the vacuum pump starts up and maintains vacuum during low vacuum up a hill. They were an accessory prior to electric wipers.[ATTACH=CONFIG]73251[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73252[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73253[/ATTACH]This is what it looks like.
                      So that's what that thing is. I have had one in the shop and in my way for a couple of years. Anybody want it for cost of shipping?
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-15-2018, 01:02 PM.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Yes, I'll take you up on your offer.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          Yes, I'll take you up on your offer.
                          OK. See you next week.

Comment

A vacuum wiper motor is capable of working very well (except, of course, under hard acceleration). Send it to Ficken Wiper Motor Service in Babylon, New York. They specialize in repairing and rebuilding them. When you re-install the wiper motor, be sure to use new vacuum tubes, which must fit extremely tightly on both the wiper motor and on the manifold. Also, it is necessary to hook up the wire from the dashboard knob on the motor exactly as it was when taken off. Many years ago Mr. Ficken told me the very best maintenance for a vacuum motor is to use it as often as possible.
                            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
                            X