No announcement yet.

1966 Daytona Sport Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted pics of the other (black) sport sedan on here today. I will have it on bringatrailer by the end of the week in a no reserve auction. It's always been garaged and has just 23,394 actual miles. Click image for larger version

Name:	datona6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1721036

Comment

Yes, the 1966 white/white top/white interior car was sold by me and was loaded with all options and was a low 20K mile example. I also helped get it on the trailer. I knew that it was going to a good home with Ray Martin. I also provided the basic story of it being the former secretary's car - I believe more research was done by Ray on that.

I also had a green 1966 that I knew was in bad shape, but it did have most options. They were both sold for what I considered to be a fair price - a bit more than a late model V8 rear differential price. We had some fun with the green one - Bob gave it a shove onto the car trailer with my 1964 Massey Ferguson front end loader.

Its "Studebaker Fun" memories like this that add to the excitement of the quest and the hobby.

I still have many Studes and parts available. (Shameless plug.) Let me know what you need. I am in downsizing mode. (PS - no "e" at the end of my last name)

Comment

Originally posted by doublefeature56 View Post
        I posted pics of the other (black) sport sedan on here today. I will have it on bringatrailer by the end of the week in a no reserve auction. It's always been garaged and has just 23,394 actual miles. [ATTACH=CONFIG]73154[/ATTACH]
        I sure like your car !
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Going to watch this closely and hope they pull some high numbers.
          I'm seriously considering parting with Number One 66 Daytona in the near future and this could spur me on.
          Have several projects to complete while I'm still young enough to drive and enjoy them. Otherwise there will be some fun projects for sale too.
          Just put the 66 away for the summer while we travel and will get it out sometime in October and make some decisions.
          Keep talking about downsizing the herd, but every time I sell one, two more show up. Guess I'm doing it wrong, but this hobby didn't come with explicit instructions.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks for all the great information on this car. It has quite a restoration history. Since I live in Maine, I plan on attending the Transportation Museum Auction in August. I may try to get in touch with the current owner for a look prior. Not a big fan of bidding on something I haven't had the chance to drive first!
            1966 Daytona Sport Sedan - Richelieu Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              We are fortunate to still have members like 2R5 whose recall memory is still sharp. Thank you Bob. Your comments also twigged my memory about this car. It came off the line on February 4th 1966 having been built for Studebaker fleet leasing. Back in those days senior management and field personnel were consigned company cars. Middle management and senior supervisors were eligible to drive a car from the fleet leasing program. Phyllis Blair indeed was Gordon Grundy's secretary and this car was leased to her. Interestingly, Mrs. Blair was considered middle management and was the only female in the corporation who had a company car.

By the way our leasing program allowed eligible employees to lease any model they wanted and a base Commander only cost about $18 a month. And Studebaker paid the insurance and maintenance cost. I talked about this program in an article I wrote for Turning Wheels about the Studebaker company cars back in 2012.

If I remember correctly, i think this car was owned by Ontario and Hamilton Chapter member Paul Revelle prior to coming into the hands of Ray Martin and Bob Barrick. From that point on I lost track of it. Perhaps Bob can shed some light on its restoration history and how it ended up in Vermont.

Stu Chapman
              Here is a picture of what the car looked like when Ray picked the car up .I took this picture that day , I remember it was a chore getting at the car to load onto his trailer .

Click image for larger version

Name:	3CD33953-89E2-4671-8173-1F1CEE1A9ED8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1721357
              Last edited by 2R5; 07-11-2018, 06:11 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks 2R5 - now my curiosity is really piqued! That photo may have been too much information, though - just kidding!! LOL!!

Comment

Ahh, but remember the "Ugly duckling" story.
                  Originally posted by allen04084 View Post
                  Thanks 2R5 - now my curiosity is really piqued! That photo may have been too much information, though - just kidding!! LOL!!
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by allen04084 View Post
                    Alllen , don’t let that photo scare you from buying that car , there isn’t much besides the motor train that was used in the end . The frame was toast so Ray used a new frame ( and I mean “new” ) also he bought a good body from Ed George from the Chicago area for the car . Hope you post some results from the auction .
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks 2R5, I still plan to check it out and will report results back here - doesn't scare me at all!

Thanks again! Tim

Comment

Both of the '66's in this thread are very nice cars. I would not mind owning and driving either of them, and I'm not a Lark type of guy (I consider them parts cars)
                        But the question rises it's ugly head again, if the frame is swapped and the body is swapped, is it still the same car?
                        It wouldn't make any difference to me, but to some it would.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          Both of the '66's in this thread are very nice cars. I would not mind owning and driving either of them, and I'm not a Lark type of guy (I consider them parts cars)
                          But the question rises it's ugly head again, if the frame is swapped and the body is swapped, is it still the same car?
                          It wouldn't make any difference to me, but to some it would.
                          Reminds me of the story of Abe Lincoln's axe - the head has been replaced twice and the handle has been replaced three times.

It seems to me that the interior is also different in the subject car, as well as the body and chassis. It is sort of like defining a car by the drivetrain alone.

Was the Serial Number plate transferred over with the correct style of rivet?
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Was the Serial Number plate transferred over with the correct style of rivet?[/QUOTE]

good point Gary .......the serial plate was transferred but not with correct rivets
                            sigpic

Comment

Shouldn't the vin plate be welded on? What about the hidden frame number on the rear cross member? I have mixed feelings about replacing so many components, but it saved a fairly rare car and nobody is trying to pass it off as a low mileage survivor, 400 point show car.
                              Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                              Was the Serial Number plate transferred over with the correct style of rivet?
                              good point Gary .......the serial plate was transferred but not with correct rivets[/QUOTE]
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Not sure when exactly they started using those special rivets but I know our ‘65 wagon has them and also the ‘66 models were riveted.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X